Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR 4 Playoff Outlook

Unscientific Rankings

1. Colorado Mines (6-0) - is the only undefeated team in SR4, best win is Western State - toughest remaining games are CSUP and Colorado Mesa.
    2. Wayne State (5-1) - wins over Minnesota State and Minn-Duluth, loss to Bemidji (4-2). Toughest game upcoming is Augustana next week
    3. Minn-Duluth (5-1) - win over Minnesota State. Toughest games left are Bemidji and Augustana.
    4. Central Washington (4-1) - gave MSU their only loss. Heavy favorites in remaining d2 games. Is 8 D2 games enough to qualify?
    5. Midwestern State (5-1) - win over Angelo and Commerce (though the shine is fading on that one). WT and UTPB remain
    6. Augustana (5-1) - wins against teams with combined 9-15 record. Have the toughest NSIC schedule left, Wayne, Minnesota State Winona, and Minn-Duluth. #1 or #2 seed if they win out.
    7. Western Colorado (5-1) - no signature wins (victories over teams w/ a combined 4-24 record), lost to Col Mines. Still have Colorado Mesa and CSUP in last two weeks.
    8. Colorado Mesa (4-1) - no signature wins (victories over teams w/ a combined 3-20 record), lost to CSUP. Still have Mines and Western Colorado.
    9. Minnesota State (4-2) - both losses were to 5-1 teams, have 2 decent wins. Still have Augustana and can't overlook Winona or USF.
    10. Bemidji State (4-2) - Dealt Wayne State their only loss, but dropped games to Minn. State and Augustana. Still have Minn-Duluth and Northern.

Other contenders in no particular order
    Angelo State (4-2) - the win over Lindenwood looks better with each LU win, and gave CWU their only loss.
    UTPB (3-0) - Opponents have a 5-12 record. Still have MSU, Angelo and Commerce to play. They will only have 8 D2 games - is that enough to even qualify?
    CSU-Pueblo (4-2)- losses to TAMC and Grand Valley. Wins over teams w/ combined 12-9 record. Next three opponents have a combined 1 win, but close out vs. Col Mines and Western Colorad
    Northern State (4-2) - Best win over USF, but close out vs. Bemidji, and Minn-Duluth

Spoilers
    TAMC (2-3) - Playoffs are likely out of the picture, but can kill Angelo and UTPB's slim chances as a parting gift.
    Black Hills (3-2) - Western Colorado and Colorado Mesa
    South Dakota Mines (3-2) - Colorado Mines, Western Colorado and Colorado Mesa
    Western Oregon (2-3) - CWU round 2 still to be played
    Sioux Falls (3-2) - Minnesota State and Wayne State
    Winona State (3-2) - Augustana and Minnesota State
    Mary (2-4) - Bemidji. Despite their record, they have a potent passing game.
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Nice breakdown of the unscientific rankings for SR4. Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat94 View Post
      Nice breakdown of the unscientific rankings for SR4. Good stuff.
      Agree

Comment

If CWU runs the table and gets into the playoffs no one will want play them they're just hitting on all cylinders. They had a bunch of injuries in the EMU and EWU games. And forced to play a bunch of Freshman and Sophomores on offense and especially on the offensive line. I don't think they've yet had the same starting 5 in back to back games. Defense is rock solid for the most part except on depth at DT due to injuries from the EMU game. Young QB and RB's are finally healthy something that Angelo State didn't get to see up in Ellensburg.

Comment

Originally posted by the tav View Post
          If CWU runs the table and gets into the playoffs no one will want play them they're just hitting on all cylinders. They had a bunch of injuries in the EMU and EWU games. And forced to play a bunch of Freshman and Sophomores on offense and especially on the offensive line. I don't think they've yet had the same starting 5 in back to back games. Defense is rock solid for the most part except on depth at DT due to injuries from the EMU game. Young QB and RB's are finally healthy something that Angelo State didn't get to see up in Ellensburg.
          I think we should be getting a couple of those first team injured guys back after the bye week. All those guys are in the trenches and it makes a difference.

Comment

The question if we run the table is will our 8 D2 games and SOS be enough???

Comment

The question if we run the table is will our 8 D2 games and SOS be enough???
              I would be very surprised if 7-1 CWU didn't get in.

Comment

Last time I checked it had to be 9 D2 games to qualify for the D2 playoffs unless that was recently changed either by policy and/or COVID?

If that is the case then UTPB has a problem with only 8 D2 games due to the SFU cancellation which would suck if they somehow ran the table.

Finishing 7-1 and only having 8 D2 games is going to be tough for Central Washington not being in a conference. I think Humboldt State finished 9-1 and didn't get in several years back.
                Last edited by Buffalo/Islander Alum; 10-12-2021, 11:43 AM. Reason: Correcting Autocorrect.

Comment

QUALIFYING STANDARDS
                  In order to be considered during the selection process, a team must:
                  ? Have an overall won-lost record of .500 or better against Division II opponents;
                  ? Play at least eight Division II opponents during the regular season (there will be an appeals process available
                  in 2021 if a given institution is not able to satisfy this requirement); and
                  ? Play at least 10 opponents during the regular season. An institution may submit a waiver request to the
                  football committee for its consideration if a given institution is not able to satisfy this requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

I would be very surprised if 7-1 CWU didn't get in.
                    Prepared to be surprised and disappointed. Playing Western Oregon and SFU twice is going to kill your SOS. Midwestern win is a good one but the Angelo loss hurts you in any tiebreaking scenarios if those two teams are fighting for the #7 spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Casual_Observer View Post
                      QUALIFYING STANDARDS
                      In order to be considered during the selection process, a team must:
                      ? Have an overall won-lost record of .500 or better against Division II opponents;
                      ? Play at least eight Division II opponents during the regular season (there will be an appeals process available
                      in 2021 if a given institution is not able to satisfy this requirement); and
                      ? Play at least 10 opponents during the regular season. An institution may submit a waiver request to the
                      football committee for its consideration if a given institution is not able to satisfy this requirement.
                      Thanks for taking the time to provide the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                        Last time I checked it had to be 9 D2 games to qualify for the D2 playoffs unless that was recently changed either by policy and/or COVID?

If that is the case then UTPB has a problem with only 8 D2 games due to the SFU cancellation which would suck if they somehow ran the table.

Finishing 7-1 and only having 8 D2 games is going to be tough for Central Washington not being in a conference. I think Humboldt State finished 9-1 and didn't get in several years back.
                        It was due to UTPB cancelling, not SFU.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Prepared to be surprised and disappointed. Playing Western Oregon and SFU twice is going to kill your SOS. Midwestern win is a good one but the Angelo loss hurts you in any tiebreaking scenarios if those two teams are fighting for the #7 spot.
                          I don't think CWU fans would be surprised. We know we really need to run the table every year and fingers crossed when we have a one lose record. Our SOS is never great having to play teams twice and we always need to play a D1 school for a payday to cover all the flight expenses each year. It is what we have to do to try to compete.

Comment

I don't think CWU fans would be surprised. We know we really need to run the table every year and fingers crossed when we have a one lose record. Our SOS is never great having to play teams twice and we always need to play a D1 school for a payday to cover all the flight expenses each year. It is what we have to do to try to compete.
                            I would like to see what they can do in the playoffs since they have a good team and is deserving.

I think this all goes back to the days when an RMAC school besides Pueblo and then Indianapolis would make the playoffs in our region over a stronger team and constantly get smoked in the 1st round.

Comment

Those expenses the last few years are getting tougher and tougher to make with alumni donations going down from previous years. We've lost some of our wealthier donors for what I think are for selfish reasons. Just my opinion. But, we could do so much better in fundraising with someone who is creative in that position. I've always thought a cash cow fundraising idea is with our location being the World Mecca of Hops. Is creating a CWU IPA Craft Beer with some of our Alumni Craft brewers in Yakima. Serve the Beer at games with 100% of sales going to Athletics. And the local Taverns and Restaurants in Ellensburg and Yakima giving 50% of profit going to Athletics. And whatever Craft Brewery that makes the Beer giving 50% or more of the sales to CWU Athletics. Maybe CWU should've hired me. HaHa... bottom line with the climate that we're currently in with all the travel expenses our donations have to go up if we want to continue to be able to compete
                              Last edited by the tav; 10-13-2021, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X