Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does D2 compare to HS attendance in Texas

Okay, sitting north of the Red River, we hear certain things about how big High School Football is in Texas. Some even claim that there are high school stadiums that have a capacity of 25K and fill them up. I know in Oklahoma that certain towns (like my old high school) have greater attendance than the D2 schools.

Is this accurate, and why don't the D2 schools in Texas generate more than 10K at most? (FBS on TV, lack of significant community involvement?)

This is a serious question (or misconception) from an Okie.
    Last edited by UCObluejay; 08-18-2019, 12:19 PM. Reason: How did I not spell "hear" correctly?
    Go Bronchos!

Re: How does D2 compare to HS attendance in Texas

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
    Okay, sitting north of the Red River, we here certain things about how big High School Football is in Texas. Some even claim that there are high school stadiums that have a capacity of 25K and fill them up. I know in Oklahoma that certain towns (like my old high school) have greater attendance than the D2 schools.

Is this accurate, and why don't the D2 schools in Texas generate more than 10K at most? (FBS on TV, lack of significant community involvement?)

Without actually looking into it, I'd presume it would be because the players aren't local. Another factor would probably be due to the popularity of Tech, UT and A&M.

Comment

Okay, sitting north of the Red River, we hear certain things about how big High School Football is in Texas. Some even claim that there are high school stadiums that have a capacity of 25K and fill them up. I know in Oklahoma that certain towns (like my old high school) have greater attendance than the D2 schools.

Comment

When TAMUK was relevant, the Hogs would easily outdraw the local high school because on balance the local high school was more known for their band vs quality of football. 10k or more was an average number during those days which is a distant memory for many of us.

I'm not sure even if we got back to respectability or had several seasons of successful playoff runs if we would average that number again. Maybe a game or two like Homecoming? Game streaming is making it easier for the fan who might have been a regular to skip a game or series of games, especially if they live hours away like many of the fans and alums of most D2 schools do.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
          As far as DII not drawing a crowd....lots of FCS/1aa dont draw much either. The reason is PERSONAL CONNECTION....or lack thereof.

In HS football you have MANY students, their parents, player's family/friends, band members family/friends, drill team members family/friends, cheerleaders family/friends, JROTC members family/friends, local community leaders, local business owners, middle school kids and their parent(s), youth football players/coaches/teams and their families.....etc...etc....

I recognized this going from the Allen HS program to DII & 1aa.....AND I approached Angelo State AD & Prez (at the time) and set out a plan to increase local attendance at least two fold. OF COURSE they knew better or probably really didn't care. 707.

It's not a hard fix.....just have to approach it properly and KNOW HOW to grow attendance.

This is true. That nice big stadium in San Marcos looks empty the few times I've seen them on TV and they are an FBS school (which will never come close to even sniffing a real bowl game). Many of the SLC schools are in the same category as far as attendance.

Winning does help. Building and maintaining a winning tradition helps even more. Losing that tradition is hard to get back.

Comment

I think a lot of it has to do with self-promotion. The last 3 days, the Amarillo paper has had a first-page sports section story about a Tech player. Nothing about WT. How did they get the Tech stories? Press releases. (I also think the Amarillo paper is being formatted in Lubbock by the LAJ. I am now calling it the Amarillo edition of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.)

Many years ago (long before computers and e-mails), a friend of mine was the WT sports information director. Every afternoon, after work hours, he would drive to Amarillo and deliver a press release to the paper. Not only do we not get this type of story in the paper, we don't even get it on our own website. I know I will be lambasted for saying this but so be it. Several months ago, I pointed out an error on WT's website, and it still has not been corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
              I think a lot of it has to do with self-promotion. The last 3 days, the Amarillo paper has had a first-page sports section story about a Tech player. Nothing about WT. How did they get the Tech stories? Press releases. (I also think the Amarillo paper is being formatted in Lubbock by the LAJ. I am now calling it the Amarillo edition of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.)

Many years ago (long before computers and e-mails), a friend of mine was the WT sports information director. Every afternoon, after work hours, he would drive to Amarillo and deliver a press release to the paper. Not only do we not get this type of story in the paper, we don't even get it on our own website. I know I will be lambasted for saying this but so be it. Several months ago, I pointed out an error on WT's website, and it still has not been corrected.
              It's the same thing with Kingsville in regards the Corpus paper which is the regionally recognized paper of record. Most of their content is now pushed by USA Today (McPaper) and the majority of their beat reporters don't even burn shoe leather to cover the news. Some of the reporters based here in Corpus will write stories covering news in San Angelo, Abliene, Wichita Falls and El Paso as all five are USA Today papers and share resources. Local high school sports coverage went way down to where the outlying schools in the rural areas are lucky to get their scores mentioned in the paper and we are talking about the online version too. I know losing will impact coverage and the Javs football team I'm sure contributed to it. But when the transition with USA Today was done, they released the reporter who had covered us through good and bad shortly there after and coverage has really sucked since then. Even the girls softball team a few months ago didn't get the coverage they might have received before the consolidation and buyout by McPaper.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBuffsGo View Post

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                It's the same thing with Kingsville in regards the Corpus paper which is the regionally recognized paper of record. Most of their content is now pushed by USA Today (McPaper) and the majority of their beat reporters don't even burn shoe leather to cover the news. Some of the reporters based here in Corpus will write stories covering news in San Angelo, Abliene, Wichita Falls and El Paso as all five are USA Today papers and share resources. Local high school sports coverage went way down to where the outlying schools in the rural areas are lucky to get their scores mentioned in the paper and we are talking about the online version too. I know losing will impact coverage and the Javs football team I'm sure contributed to it. But when the transition with USA Today was done, they released the reporter who had covered us through good and bad shortly there after and coverage has really sucked since then. Even the girls softball team a few months ago didn't get the coverage they might have received before the consolidation and buyout by McPaper.
                Lack of PERSONAL CONNECTION. Nobody cares or wants to read about institutes when they do not have a current PERSONAL connection.

The funny thing is it is an EASY, EASY fix.

But who listens anymore. Everyone knows better. LMAO.

Comment

Lack of PERSONAL CONNECTION. Nobody cares or wants to read about institutes when they do not have a current PERSONAL connection.

Comment

also, the colleges want to sell tickets to money people. They dont care about butts in seats, just ticket sales. So Commerce can sell 35 or 40 season seat backs to a business in town, and when I go to the games I have an entire row to myself. Then they do that in 14 other rows to other businesses or alumni that will never show up. Then we can be 4th in "attendance" at 8,500 plus when there are really 5,500 there max, and probably less most games.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

also, the colleges want to sell tickets to money people. They dont care about butts in seats, just ticket sales. So Commerce can sell 35 or 40 season seat backs to a business in town, and when I go to the games I have an entire row to myself. Then they do that in 14 other rows to other businesses or alumni that will never show up. Then we can be 4th in "attendance" at 8,500 plus when there are really 5,500 there max, and probably less most games.
                      exactly! Never heard it explained any better

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

Learned well from MLB.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X