Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

Well, here we go. Good early season match-up. This should be a good game. Commerce is clearly the more athletic team. If the Lions can make this a run-and-shoot contest
    it will be to their advantage. LCU is the better defensive team and much more disciplined on offense. The team that controls the tempo will win. LCU by 10+

With the Wt games postponed, I will probably watch this one.
    Good win for Commerce ladies tonight. They are starting to look more like the team I saw before Covid hit them. Healthy they can beat anyone in D2.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Do you not work? Or are you retired?
      Government worker. :D

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

Good win for Commerce ladies tonight. They are starting to look more like the team I saw before Covid hit them. Healthy they can beat anyone in D2.
        Good game, well played. I hope this game cost LCU hosting the regional. They have that unreal 95 game home winning streak. Yes, I missed my guess with taking LCU
        to win. A lot of games left before we can call them National Champions.
        The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

WT isn't going to D1 as long as McBroom is the AD, unless the mothership mandates it.
          You're right about "unless the mothership mandates it", except it won't be to overrule McBroom. It will be to overrule President Wendler. It is my understanding that he is opposed to WT going D1 due to costs. If you look at the attendance numbers posted under WT Football, it's easily apparent why he would be concerned. The attendance numbers for D1s cited aren't encouraging and makes one wonder how the budgets are covered. The dollars have to come from donors, higher ticket prices and student fees. I would like to see WT go D1 and am willing to pay more for it, but I don't see it happening "unless the mothership mandates it" or Wendler leaves. If someone else believes Wendler has a different point of view, I would like to hear it.

Comment

Good game, well played. I hope this game cost LCU hosting the regional. They have that unreal 95 game home winning streak. Yes, I missed my guess with taking LCU
            to win. A lot of games left before we can call them National Champions.
            if Commerce and WT do their jobs for the rest of the season, LCU wont be hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

if Commerce and WT do their jobs for the rest of the season, LCU won't be hosting.
              I will be surprised if Wt doesn't "stub its toe" somewhere along the way. We will play LCU at our place. A lot of games left.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Government worker. :D
                So, in other words, you don't work. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by oldbuff View Post

You're right about "unless the mothership mandates it", except it won't be to overrule McBroom. It will be to overrule President Wendler. It is my understanding that he is opposed to WT going D1 due to costs. If you look at the attendance numbers posted under WT Football, it's easily apparent why he would be concerned. The attendance numbers for D1s cited aren't encouraging and makes one wonder how the budgets are covered. The dollars have to come from donors, higher ticket prices and student fees. I would like to see WT go D1 and am willing to pay more for it, but I don't see it happening "unless the mothership mandates it" or Wendler leaves. If someone else believes Wendler has a different point of view, I would like to hear it.
                  I don't know what Wendler's views are about D1, if any, but I don't like his plan of turning WT into an online school. It wasn't long ago that the admin was screaming how badly we needed an on-campus stadium, and now they want to have the students off-campus. WT has a long history of poor administrators. I would love to meet the guy who came up with the leasing of Kimbrough to CISD for $1/year for 99 years. So CISD let it run down until we sold it to them for the price of a nice home. What do you know, ADA and cost hurdles that prevented renovation suddenly disappeared. The Roach Motel was another giant debacle. Firing Kerbel (68-42) and Carthel (79-12) and replacing them with marginal coaches like Gene Mayfield (24-39), Mike Nesbitt (25-17), and Hunter Hughes (27-23) is par for the WT admin. With McBroom and Hughes I don't see any good times ahead for WT football, except when playing NAIA teams. The season ending win over Bethel looks good on paper, but Bethel only has about 500 students.

I'm thinking we should outsource the entire WT admin to CISD. They know what they are doing. Remember the fabulous on-campus stadium was originally going to be behind Jarrett Hall until CISD suggested the current location. Maybe we could get the buffalo back on the field and the cheerleaders too, plus coaches that don't call "up the middle" most of the time. We would probably have to give up the excitement of our offensive players getting sacked for safeties though.

I have mixed emotions about WT heading to D1. We used to be D1 and no one was that thrilled to watch the team play McNeese State, New Mexico State, Lamar, Southern Illinois, etc. However basketball would certainly benefit from a move to D1. Whether people will drive from Amarillo to watch quality basketball in Canyon is another story. The sell out crowds of old were in the Amarillo Civic Center.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

I don't know what Wendler's views are about D1, if any, but I don't like his plan of turning WT into an online school. It wasn't long ago that the admin was screaming how badly we needed an on-campus stadium, and now they want to have the students off-campus. WT has a long history of poor administrators. I would love to meet the guy who came up with the leasing of Kimbrough to CISD for $1/year for 99 years. So CISD let it run down until we sold it to them for the price of a nice home. What do you know, ADA and cost hurdles that prevented renovation suddenly disappeared. The Roach Motel was another giant debacle. Firing Kerbel (68-42) and Carthel (79-12) and replacing them with marginal coaches like Gene Mayfield (24-39), Mike Nesbitt (25-17), and Hunter Hughes (27-23) is par for the WT admin. With McBroom and Hughes I don't see any good times ahead for WT football, except when playing NAIA teams. The season ending win over Bethel looks good on paper, but Bethel only has about 500 students.

I'm thinking we should outsource the entire WT admin to CISD. They know what they are doing. Remember the fabulous on-campus stadium was originally going to be behind Jarrett Hall until CISD suggested the current location. Maybe we could get the buffalo back on the field and the cheerleaders too, plus coaches that don't call "up the middle" most of the time. We would probably have to give up the excitement of our offensive players getting sacked for safeties though.

I have mixed emotions about WT heading to D1. We used to be D1 and no one was that thrilled to watch the team play McNeese State, New Mexico State, Lamar, Southern Illinois, etc. However basketball would certainly benefit from a move to D1. Whether people will drive from Amarillo to watch quality basketball in Canyon is another story. The sell out crowds of old were in the Amarillo Civic Center.
                    Don't you think the pandemic had something to do with online classes? Offer them or lose the students (and money) to schools that are. Seems a clear choice to me.

For a three-year period, my wife was secretary for the football head coach. Wt was D1 at that time. That situation can not be described without the use of the word cluster. I have zero desire to revisit that situation and make the same mistake again. You really need to stop living in the past and look to the future. The overall athletic program, not counting football, is competitive at the regional/national level. Why would Wt trade that for not being relevant in any sport?? I recently talked to a former Wt Basketball coach who said it would be a successful year if they made the tournament, and won one game before being eliminated. I would much rather pull for a team that has the chance to win the last game. TAMUC will now fade away in all sports after being competitive at the national level in football. To what end?? D1 is a trap to be avoided, not a goal to achieve. I have season tickets to all Wt sports, some of which I never attend, I am just trying to support Wt. If Wt were to go D1 that would price me out of all but 2 or 3 sports. IMHO it would hurt overall attendance at sporting events. I do not know Hughes personally. The rest of the coaches I do. They are good coaches and better people. McBroom and his staff are doing a good job and have the support of the administration. Past failures, mistakes, and problems are not an indication of future results unless you go back and make the same (D1) mistakes.

Comment

Remember the fabulous on-campus stadium was originally going to be behind Jarrett Hall until CISD suggested the current location.
                      The on-campus stadium is fabulous. Regarding CISD suggesting the current location, that's news to me. But if CISD did suggest it and WT agreed, it was a great suggestion. It is a much better location than behind Jarrett Hall. Building behind Jarret would have required tearing out and relocating the track/soccer complex which made no sense and would have been more expensive. Plus the current location is much more visible and accessible. I also agree with Great White Buffalo that McBroom and his staff are doing a good job. WT continues to have one of the best overall programs in D2. But, as I have said before, this is a make-or-break year for Hughes. Looking forward to the future of WT athletics, including football. Go Buffs!!

Comment

Don't you think the pandemic had something to do with online classes? Offer them or lose the students (and money) to schools that are. Seems a clear choice to me.

For a three-year period, my wife was secretary for the football head coach. Wt was D1 at that time. That situation can not be described without the use of the word cluster. I have zero desire to revisit that situation and make the same mistake again. You really need to stop living in the past and look to the future. The overall athletic program, not counting football, is competitive at the regional/national level. Why would Wt trade that for not being relevant in any sport?? I recently talked to a former Wt Basketball coach who said it would be a successful year if they made the tournament, and won one game before being eliminated. I would much rather pull for a team that has the chance to win the last game. TAMUC will now fade away in all sports after being competitive at the national level in football. To what end?? D1 is a trap to be avoided, not a goal to achieve. I have season tickets to all Wt sports, some of which I never attend, I am just trying to support Wt. If Wt were to go D1 that would price me out of all but 2 or 3 sports. IMHO it would hurt overall attendance at sporting events. I do not know Hughes personally. The rest of the coaches I do. They are good coaches and better people. McBroom and his staff are doing a good job and have the support of the administration. Past failures, mistakes, and problems are not an indication of future results unless you go back and make the same (D1) mistakes.
                        I think you should reread the last paragraph of what I wrote.

Also I would like some clarification on your last sentence. It sounds like ONLY if we go D1 can we point to the stupid mistakes of the past. is that correct?

Here's the past that I miss. Nationally ranked Carthel teams winning most of their games in a stadium I grew up going to. Those were D2 days. Since Nesbitt's caretaker year, the football team has been lame. True Hughes had an 8-3 year, but lost to Angelo, Tarleton, and Commerce. Not that good.

When a jerk .500 or less coach like the one at UTPB tells our coach he's coming for him, and backs it up, getting ahead something like 42-17, something isn't right. When a sub .500 team like WOU beats us because their team was fired up, something isn't right. When the offense bores you to tears and gives up safeties in repeated games, despite having very good talent, something isn't right. I don't know Hughes either, but he seems like a good guy. As I've said before, being a head coach requires different skills than being a coordinator. Just ask Wade Phillips and Steve Spagnola.

So while the other sports are okay, I really only care about football and softball. If I lived in the area, I might watch some of the other sports. However football is number 1 and it's an embarrassment, especially since we have sunk to playing NAIA teams to pad Hughes' record. McBroom might hire another coordinator when he gets around to firing Hughes, but why not get an AD who cares about the football TEAM being successful? Since I only follow 2 sports here's how McBroom's record looks to me: Nesbitt: F, Hughes: D, Abrams: D, Mook: A+. Not a great GPA.

I believe this is how McBroom characterized Nesbitt when he announced he had fired him (without holding the grandiose press conference where he blasted Carthel). (he is good coach and a better person).

WT total enrollment has decreased in the Wendler era. Other schools are not seeing that.

I'm very glad you are such a good WT booster. Please keep it up. We just don't agree on everything.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

I think you should reread the last paragraph of what I wrote.

Also I would like some clarification on your last sentence. It sounds like ONLY if we go D1 can we point to the stupid mistakes of the past. is that correct?

Here's the past that I miss. Nationally ranked Carthel teams winning most of their games in a stadium I grew up going to. Those were D2 days. Since Nesbitt's caretaker year, the football team has been lame. True Hughes had an 8-3 year, but lost to Angelo, Tarleton, and Commerce. Not that good.

When a jerk .500 or less coach like the one at UTPB tells our coach he's coming for him, and backs it up, getting ahead something like 42-17, something isn't right. When a sub .500 team like WOU beats us because their team was fired up, something isn't right. When the offense bores you to tears and gives up safeties in repeated games, despite having very good talent, something isn't right. I don't know Hughes either, but he seems like a good guy. As I've said before, being a head coach requires different skills than being a coordinator. Just ask Wade Phillips and Steve Spagnola.

So while the other sports are okay, I really only care about football and softball. If I lived in the area, I might watch some of the other sports. However football is number 1 and it's an embarrassment, especially since we have sunk to playing NAIA teams to pad Hughes' record. McBroom might hire another coordinator when he gets around to firing Hughes, but why not get an AD who cares about the football TEAM being successful? Since I only follow 2 sports here's how McBroom's record looks to me: Nesbitt: F, Hughes: D, Abrams: D, Mook: A+. Not a great GPA.

I believe this is how McBroom characterized Nesbitt when he announced he had fired him (without holding the grandiose press conference where he blasted Carthel). (he is good coach and a better person).

WT total enrollment has decreased in the Wendler era. Other schools are not seeing that.

I'm very glad you are such a good WT booster. Please keep it up. We just don't agree on everything.
                          With you only caring about two sport that clearly influences your view of what is happing. Please continue to rant about football, someone needs to. The rest of the sports are doing well. Just because Hughes has not had the success that the other sports have doesn't McBroom doesn't want a successful football team. As the AD it's his job to be interested in the success of ALL sports.
                          I will continue to buy season tickets to all sports to support WT. BTW-I attend, FB, MBB, WBB, VB, SB, and some soccer.

Comment

The on-campus stadium is fabulous. Regarding CISD suggesting the current location, that's news to me. But if CISD did suggest it and WT agreed, it was a great suggestion. It is a much better location than behind Jarrett Hall. Building behind Jarret would have required tearing out and relocating the track/soccer complex which made no sense and would have been more expensive. Plus the current location is much more visible and accessible. I also agree with Great White Buffalo that McBroom and his staff are doing a good job. WT continues to have one of the best overall programs in D2. But, as I have said before, this is a make-or-break year for Hughes. Looking forward to the future of WT athletics, including football. Go Buffs!!
                            It was reported on this board that CISD suggested the move. Here's the story about the change of location. I remember driving over to see where it was originally going to be and laughing about it.

http://www.canyonnews.com/wt-adjusts...ffalo-stadium/

Comment

WT total enrollment has decreased in the Wendler era.
                              WT's enrollment hit a record 10,169 in fall 2020.(Wendler became president in fall 2016.) It dropped 4% in the fall of 2021 which was attributed to covid but that was probably Wendler's fault. Like many other universities,WT has seen a tremendous increase in online enrollment. i don't think Wendler has promoted online learning as much as he has encouraged prospective students to attend a community college first prior to enrolling at WT in order to keep student loan debt lower. I don't necessarily agree with that because I would like to see the students attend WT first but I understand his logic (like Dave Ramsay).

I am much like Great White Buffalo. I have season tickets for FB, VB, Men's & Women's BB and Baseball. I also attend some SB games and track meets. The overall athletic program is outstanding. One could say that's luck but, as AD, McBroom has had much to do with it. You can continue to fault him on Hughes but if WT does not win this year, I will be surprised if Hughes is still around for 2023.

Regarding GPA, the LSC just announced that WT led the LSC Commissioner's Honor Roll with 199 named to the list this fall.

Comment

WT's enrollment hit a record 10,169 in fall 2020.(Wendler became president in fall 2016.) It dropped 4% in the fall of 2021 which was attributed to covid but that was probably Wendler's fault. Like many other universities,WT has seen a tremendous increase in online enrollment. i don't think Wendler has promoted online learning as much as he has encouraged prospective students to attend a community college first prior to enrolling at WT in order to keep student loan debt lower. I don't necessarily agree with that because I would like to see the students attend WT first but I understand his logic (like Dave Ramsay).

I am much like Great White Buffalo. I have season tickets for FB, VB, Men's & Women's BB and Baseball. I also attend some SB games and track meets. The overall athletic program is outstanding. One could say that's luck but, as AD, McBroom has had much to do with it. You can continue to fault him on Hughes but if WT does not win this year, I will be surprised if Hughes is still around for 2023.

Regarding GPA, the LSC just announced that WT led the LSC Commissioner's Honor Roll with 199 named to the list this fall.
                                I'm glad you are supporting the various athletic teams. However for most of us, football is #1 and it has sucked long term. McBroom has had EVERYTHING to do with that. Hughes or at least the OC should have been fired in 2021. 2 of Hughes' OCs have been disasters. The other one was very good but he only stayed a year.

Yeah, Wendler is a hell of a recruiter, at least in Quitaque and Booker, but evidently not Amarillo. I see AC is growing and bringing back athletics. Inviting prospective students to go elsewhere first isn't in WT's best interest.

Tech's enrollment wasn't affected by COVID.

https://today.ttu.edu/posts/2021/09/...ollment-growth

Neither was the mother ship's enrollment

https://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Repor...istorical.aspx

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X