Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

With you only caring about two sport that clearly influences your view of what is happing. Please continue to rant about football, someone needs to. The rest of the sports are doing well. Just because Hughes has not had the success that the other sports have doesn't McBroom doesn't want a successful football team. As the AD it's his job to be interested in the success of ALL sports.
    I will continue to buy season tickets to all sports to support WT. BTW-I attend, FB, MBB, WBB, VB, SB, and some soccer.
    WT would be competitive right away in every sport listed except for football and possibly baseball especially in the Southland.

I saw the comment about TAMUC fading away in all sports. For national championships yes but doesnt mean they cant be a sweet 16 regular participant if things go well. ACU had a good win against Texas in March Madness last year.

I appreciate your comment about wanting to see WT remain D2 to be competitive for national championships and keeping ticket/tuition prices manageable.

WT fan bases is split on D1 vs. D2 and nothing wrong with that. Makes for good conversation.

I personally want to see WT go D1 to see what they can do on a regional level playoffs vs D1 competition besides football, They would have a chance to secure automatic bids in most of the sports listed in the Southland. Basically any opening round playoff game in any sport would be on the CBS sports network, big 10, sec, big 12 network, etc.

My thinking for pride is if I am having a conversation about my alma mater fan base with 99.5% of other fans. If I tell someone that WT womens softball won a national championship in 2021 but in 2025 they pull a James Madison and beat an Oklahoma, Tech, etc. to advance to the college world series, which one would that fan be more impressed with?

Of course what will drive a lot of this is how many more D2 schools from the Lone Star or anywhere else make the jump and force some programs hands.

Comment

Back to the games. Wt will be hosting UTPB Saturday. First game for Wt in 14 days and UTPB is 4-12 overall being 0-7 on the road. This has the makings of a messy game.
      Wt with a lot of downtimes, coming off of Covid. Taking on a team that has not won on the road. UTPB also lost their Thursday game to Cameron, 67-66. on a last-second shot.
      I don't think Wt will be seriously challenged in this game which will lead to a lack of intensity. This game also leads up to a 4 game road trip before playing LCU at home on February 10th.
      This one is going to be ugly.
      The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Back to the games. Wt will be hosting UTPB Saturday. First game for Wt in 14 days and UTPB is 4-12 overall being 0-7 on the road. This has the makings of a messy game.
        Wt with a lot of downtimes, coming off of Covid. Taking on a team that has not won on the road. UTPB also lost their Thursday game to Cameron, 67-66. on a last-second shot.
        I don't think Wt will be seriously challenged in this game which will lead to a lack of intensity. This game also leads up to a 4 game road trip before playing LCU at home on February 10th.
        This one is going to be ugly.
        I was wrong. Wt suited up only 8 players. Wt played with intensity the entire game. With 6 minutes left in the game, Wt held to a tenuous 2 point lead. Over the remainder of the game, Wt went on an 18-3 run playing a dominating defense. The run was ignited by a touch pass from Gregory, who had her best game of the year, to a wide-open Burgess for a lay-up. That seemed to deflate the UTPB players. Karley Motschenbacher leads the way with 18 points and 10 rebounds for her fourth double-double of the season. (how does a 5'8" guard lead the team in rebounding?) This would have been the perfect game for an upset. Coach Prock had the team well prepared and ready to play after a two-week lay-off. The longer I watch him coach the more impressed I am with his knowledge of the game and his ability to motivate his young ladies. We have a keeper in Coach Prock.

Wt remains unbeaten in the Lone Star Conference. Wt's fate is in its own hands. A regular-season championship is theirs to win. With a strong finish, Wt can hang another banner in the already crowded rafters. Still think this is a sweet 16 team.
        Last edited by Great White Buffalo; 01-22-2022, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately both men's and women's teams dropped a turd in Wichita Falls last night and were swept...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
              Unfortunately both men's and women's teams dropped a turd in Wichita Falls last night and were swept...
              Wt WBB shot 20% from the field - can't many games that way. Everyone that was undefeated lost. Effectively nothing changed. BTW - LCU lost again
              Last edited by Great White Buffalo; 01-28-2022, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Wt WBB shot 20% from the field - can't many games that way. Everyone that was undefeated lost. Effectively nothing changed. BTW - LCU lost again
                So did WT again against Texas Womens. WT definitely isn't a sweet sixteen team but it should be wide open at the LSC conference tournament with Commerce having a slight edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

So did WT again against Texas Womens. WT definitely isn't a sweet sixteen team but it should be wide open at the LSC conference tournament with Commerce having a slight edge.
                  This is turning into a contest of who has Covid when and who, on the affected team, has it. Wt was missing another starter for the Saturday game. When we are healthy, which may not happen again, we can play with anybody. Wt shot 42% against TWU in the second half, had just dug too big a hole, with 20% in the first half.

I really don't understand why LCU is playing so badly. They have no postponed games so Covid has not affected them. (yet) They have lost 3 LSC games with 4 total. Wt gets LCU at home for the conference game which is now a very BIG game.
                  Last edited by Great White Buffalo; 01-30-2022, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldbuff View Post

WT's enrollment hit a record 10,169 in fall 2020.(Wendler became president in fall 2016.) It dropped 4% in the fall of 2021 which was attributed to covid but that was probably Wendler's fault. Like many other universities,WT has seen a tremendous increase in online enrollment. i don't think Wendler has promoted online learning as much as he has encouraged prospective students to attend a community college first prior to enrolling at WT in order to keep student loan debt lower. I don't necessarily agree with that because I would like to see the students attend WT first but I understand his logic (like Dave Ramsay).
                    Looks like Wendler's "go somewhere else" recruiting strategy is working. According to this article, WT's enrollment is now 8,560, a drop of nearly 4% versus a year ago. They don't mention how many are online-only students.

Also check the boilerplate at the end of the article. I personally don't like the part about WT being a "Hispanic serving institution". Shouldn't WT serve all students equally?

https://www.wtamu.edu/news/2022/01/f...EUeuBxoCNE8rX4

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Looks like Wendler's "go somewhere else" recruiting strategy is working. According to this article, WT's enrollment is now 8,560, a drop of nearly 4% versus a year ago. They don't mention how many are online-only students.

Also check the boilerplate at the end of the article. I personally don't like the part about WT being a "Hispanic serving institution". Shouldn't WT serve all students equally?

https://www.wtamu.edu/news/2022/01/f...EUeuBxoCNE8rX4
                      Hispanic Serving Institute (HSI) is a Department of Education (DOE) designation. It occurs when an institutions Hispanic enrollment exceeds 25% of the total enrollment. It allows HIS schools access to funds set aside by many foundations and the DOE. There are no strings attached to who those funds serve, meaning anyone at the university can use the services the funds provide, so it just allows WT to compete for grants to help provide funding for the whole university.

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post
                        Hispanic Serving Institute (HSI) is a Department of Education (DOE) designation. It occurs when an institutions Hispanic enrollment exceeds 25% of the total enrollment. It allows HIS schools access to funds set aside by many foundations and the DOE. There are no strings attached to who those funds serve, meaning anyone at the university can use the services the funds provide, so it just allows WT to compete for grants to help provide funding for the whole university.
                        Thanks for the explanation! Are there any other groups that are treated this way by the DOE?

Comment

Wt gets an overtime victory over SEU. (79-77) Haylie leads the way with 19 points. Karley scored the winning basket. Wt shoots 44% from the field.
                          This was a much-needed win. Our players who had Covid are still not full strength. Wt plays Cameron, on the road Thursday, in a non-conference game.
                          This will end a four-game road trip.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation! Are there any other groups that are treated this way by the DOE?
                            I am not sure. Since ASU, as well as most west and south Texas universities qualify for the HSI designation, I am familiar with it. I think informally some universities speak of being a "majority minority" institution (meaning that less than 50% of the students are cacausion, with various minorities totaling more than 50%), but I do not think that has the formal DOE designation like HSI, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Yes. DOE has other groups that are designated for funding based upon the enrollment numbers of certain students. Groups that were historically denied access to higher education and systemically excluded have been generally recognized by the Federal Government, mostly in the Higher Education Act of 1965. Some adjustments have been made over time, but the framework is that the Government makes available funds to institutions of higher education that enroll minority students in certain percentages of their cohort. As student body diversity is universally seen as an enhancement to the education of all, these funds are not set aside exclusively for the use of the group that qualifies the institution for the grant monies. Sorry, way off-topic.

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post

Yes. DOE has other groups that are designated for funding based upon the enrollment numbers of certain students. Groups that were historically denied access to higher education and systemically excluded have been generally recognized by the Federal Government, mostly in the Higher Education Act of 1965. Some adjustments have been made over time, but the framework is that the Government makes available funds to institutions of higher education that enroll minority students in certain percentages of their cohort. As student body diversity is universally seen as an enhancement to the education of all, these funds are not set aside exclusively for the use of the group that qualifies the institution for the grant monies. Sorry, way off-topic.
                                That's Ok. I think we all learned something, which is unusual for a message board.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X