Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Ok. I stand corrected. I just read the WT basketball posts and was lead to believe that their program was the strongest. Personally, I don't keep up with it. I did look since the topic was brought up and Tarleton is 3-1 in the WAC standings. So, it appears that LSC teams can compete in the FCS level schools of basketball. I know there is no FCS of basketball before someone responds it was just referencing those D1 schools which are not FBS.
    Many D2 basketball teams could be competitive in the lower D1 conferences. WT is certainly one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Many D2 basketball teams could be competitive in the lower D1 conferences. WT is certainly one of them.
      This comment 100%. LCU and WT could win the SWAC and MEAC tournaments and an outside shot at the Southland.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Ok. I stand corrected. I just read the WT basketball posts and was lead to believe that their program was the strongest. Personally, I don't keep up with it. I did look since the topic was brought up and Tarleton is 3-1 in the WAC standings. So, it appears that LSC teams can compete in the FCS level schools of basketball. I know there is no FCS of basketball before someone responds it was just referencing those D1 schools which are not FBS.
        I understand. Some WT posters drink plenty of maroon koolaid and can really sell. Hahaha. I guess in all fairness, lots of people do that in all aspects of life.

I got you on tbe "FCS" thing. And agree.

Comment

Tarleton just tipped off their first game on espn, at Grand Canyon.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
            Yeah and they are laying a giant turd.

All the former Southland conference schools are getting their teeth kicked in the WAC except for SHSU. Their only conference loss so far is to Tarleton. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

Comment

Originally posted by wisdomgymrat View Post
                Ok... Pump the breaks. We beat a crappy Air Force team at home and will be lucky to get to .500 in our own conference. Stating that we have made a quick transition is absurd.
                Welp ye of little faith. Tarleton is 9-7 with wins over Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin. Those wins would have won the Southland in years past.

If they can upset Sam Houston or ACU on the road the last 2 games they will finish over .500 and no worse than 9-9.

I would say their transition is looking pretty decent right now at least in basketball. WAC's top half of the conference is pretty tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                  Imagine being a Tarleton freshman playing road games in Silver City and Portales, New Mexico to now playing road games at Stanford, Kansas, Michigan, Air Force, and Gonzaga.

They only lost to Michigan and Gonzaga by 9 points and routed Air Force on the road.

I know hiring Billy Gillespie and increasing the talent level has been a big part of it.

Makes me wonder if WT can make the quick transition in basketball as Tarleton has if they ever go the D1 route.

Deep thoughts on a New Year's Day in the football off season. Haha.
                  I'm convinced WT moving to D1/FCS is NOT on any future wish list held by the administration. IMO, any move by WT to another level of competition is dependent on what the future NCAA looks like. I believe (just a wild-assed guess) our AD thinks there will be a complete scrambling of the NCAA when the Power 5 forms their own organization and swallows up billions in long-term TV money. The Power 5 will act in their best interests everyone else be damned. A lot of schools will be outside with their noses pressed against the window. I believe the Power 5 will pick off a few additional schools to include in their new cartel. All sports included. Who's left will be picking up the pieces and new opportunities for schools like WT, Angelo, NW Missouri, etc etc might become attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I'm convinced WT moving to D1/FCS is NOT on any future wish list held by the administration. IMO, any move by WT to another level of competition is dependent on what the future NCAA looks like. I believe (just a wild-assed guess) our AD thinks there will be a complete scrambling of the NCAA when the Power 5 forms their own organization and swallows up billions in long-term TV money. The Power 5 will act in their best interests everyone else be damned. A lot of schools will be outside with their noses pressed against the window. I believe the Power 5 will pick off a few additional schools to include in their new cartel. All sports included. Who's left will be picking up the pieces and new opportunities for schools like WT, Angelo, NW Missouri, etc etc might become attractive.
                    Yeah as soon as I saw the youtube video with Wendler a couple of weeks ago I knew the D1 talk was dead.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Comment

Yeah as soon as I saw the youtube video with Wendler a couple of weeks ago I knew the D1 talk was dead.

The whole D1 thing is a bit deceiving. "D1" is a catch-all term that includes a whole bunch of schools, the vast majority of which are not remotely competitive or relevant on the national scene. If we are being honest, the "real world" divisions look a lot more like this:

D1 - Texas, A&M, possibly Baylor but iffy
                        D2 - TCU, SMU, Tech
                        D3 - UTEP, North Texas, Rice
                        D4 - SHSU, SFA, ACU
                        D5 - ASU, WT, Commerce
                        D6 - most of the current D3s in Texas
                        D7 - Texas College, etc.
                        D8 - the JCs

Basketball might shuffle things a little, but not a whole lot. There's not any real interest in national media coverage until you get to the D2 level. Everyone else is on TV as a courtesy.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

The whole D1 thing is a bit deceiving. "D1" is a catch-all term that includes a whole bunch of schools, the vast majority of which are not remotely competitive or relevant on the national scene. If we are being honest, the "real world" divisions look a lot more like this:

D1 - Texas, A&M, possibly Baylor but iffy
                          D2 - TCU, SMU, Tech
                          D3 - UTEP, North Texas, Rice
                          D4 - SHSU, SFA, ACU
                          D5 - ASU, WT, Commerce
                          D6 - most of the current D3s in Texas
                          D7 - Texas College, etc.
                          D8 - the JCs

Basketball might shuffle things a little, but not a whole lot. There's not any real interest in national media coverage until you get to the D2 level. Everyone else is on TV as a courtesy.
                          I get the point of your post. Football is obviously the main jump.

I think if the teams remain FCS for football and D1 for everything else and are competitive at the conference level then I think that is manageable especially if they make the NCAA championship playoffs.

Comment

I think if the teams remain FCS for football and D1 for everything else and are competitive at the conference level then I think that is manageable especially if they make the NCAA championship playoffs.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

All depends on what you want out of your sports program. If your goal is to make the NCAA and get a first round upset over Texas every 20 to 30 or so years, not a bad strategy. Realistically that is what you get, best case. No one is fooled.Whatever works.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X