Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: LSC Softball

West Texas A&M's Ruby Salzman was named the Lone Star Conference Preseason Player of the Year as the defending Lone Star Conference Tournament Champion Lady Buffs were selected second in the LSC Preseason Poll announced on Wednesday morning by the league's offices.

The UT Tyler Patriots were chosen to defend the regular-season title after picking up 22 of the possible 43 first-place votes for a total of 654 points to sit atop the poll followed by the Lady Buffs (16-fpv), Angelo State (1-fpv), Oklahoma Christian (3-fpv), and Texas A&M-Commerce to close out the top five selections.

Texas A&M-Kingsville (1-fpv) ranked sixth followed by Lubbock Christian, Texas A&M International, Cameron, St. Mary's, St. Edward's, Midwestern State, Texas Woman's, UT Permian Basin, Eastern New Mexico and Western New Mexico rounding out the poll.

Ruby Salzman earned her first conference recognition of the season after being voted the Preseason Player of the Year for the first time in her career. The All-American from Northridge, Calif. was a key player for the 2021 Lady Buff National Championship squad, leading Division II with 84 hits. Following the national championships, she went on the play and start in all 10 games for Team Israel in the Women's Softball European Championships.

Last season, Salzman led the LSC in batting average (.433), RBI (60), doubles (17), and at-bats (194), and ranked second in slugging percentage (.758), runs scored (58), home runs (12), and stolen bases (29) to earn LSC first-team honors. She also picked up CoSIDA First Team Academic All-American recognition for her efforts in the classroom.

UT Tyler's Payton Foster claimed the Preseason Pitcher of the Year accolades after helping the Patriots to the regular season championship title with a 15-4 record in the circle. Foster allowed just 20 earned runs in 126.2 innings with 106 strikeouts to earn All-American honors.

The LSC Champion will be the team(s) with the best winning percentage of the regular-season conference schedule. The tournament winner will be recognized as the LSC Tournament Champion and receive the league's automatic bid to the NCAA postseason. The 2022 season begins on Tuesday, Feb. 1 with the conference opening weekend set for March 1 with 16 LSC programs playing a single doubleheader series against each league opponent.

WT will lead off the season in Gulf Shores, Ala. where they will face five Division II opponents including National Quarterfinalist Valdosta State. The Lady Buffs will face Delta State on Friday, Feb. 4 in the season opener with the first pitch scheduled for 11:15 a.m. CT.

The Great White Buffalo has Returned

The defending National Champions kick off their season tomorrow afternoon in Gulf Shores, AL against #17 West Florida in the Gulf Shores Tournament. The teams are a lot better than the opening tournaments we have played in the past. Coach Mook has the right idea about playing tough teams, I wish he would have a talk with Hughes. https://youtu.be/6f1ekfGIO0g

I'm disappointed to see no video or even live stats links on the WT softball schedule for the entire year. However stats for this game are available here. https://goargos.com/sidearmstats/softball/summary The game is scheduled for 3:15pm.
    Last edited by WT_TKW; 02-03-2022, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Commerce opened the season on Tuesday with a split of a double header against #2 ranked Augustana. Commerce is starting freshmen at 2b and SS and they are also hitting 1and 2 in the order. Pitching is very strong with both starters back from last season.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
        Commerce opened the season on Tuesday with a split of a double header against #2 ranked Augustana. Commerce is starting freshmen at 2b and SS and they are also hitting 1and 2 in the order. Pitching is very strong with both starters back from last season.
        What happened to your coach?

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

What happened to your coach?
          There has been no announcement about it here, so I have no idea.

Comment

There has been no announcement about it here, so I have no idea.
            Thanks. I searched the internet this morning and found absolutely nothing. Very strange. I hope he is okay.

Comment

The defending National Champions kick off their season tomorrow afternoon in Gulf Shores, AL against #17 West Florida in the Gulf Shores Tournament. The teams are a lot better than the opening tournaments we have played in the past. Coach Mook has the right idea about playing tough teams, I wish he would have a talk with Hughes. https://youtu.be/6f1ekfGIO0g

I'm disappointed to see no video or even live stats links on the WT softball schedule for the entire year. However, stats for this game are available here. https://goargos.com/sidearmstats/softball/summary The game is scheduled for 3:15 pm.
              Email I got from McBroom when I ask about the video:

All home games will be carried and all away LSC games will be carried.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

Email I got from McBroom when I ask about the video:

All home games will be carried and all away LSC games will be carried.

Michael
                That's what I would expect ,thanks for checking. I noticed baseball already has their links in place.

Since my earlier post some of the games this weekend now have live stats links, which are appreciated.

Comment

Opening day will have to wait for WT, both games scheduled for today have been canceled.

https://gobuffsgo.com/sports/softball/schedule

Comment

Opening day will have to wait for WT, both games scheduled for today have been canceled.

https://gobuffsgo.com/sports/softball/schedule
                    Not a very good opening for WT softball. 2 games were canceled and the team lost 2 out of 3 of the other games, though to very good teams.

Coach Mook will get it figured out!

Comment

Commerce looked very good over the weekend. The new head coach is more willing to use the whole squad than Bruister generally was. 4 different pitchers have complete game wins through just 5 games, and if that continues it could be big later in the season rather than leaning on 2 pitchers for the entire year.

Comment

Commerce looked very good over the weekend. The new head coach is more willing to use the whole squad than Bruister generally was. 4 different pitchers have complete game wins through just 5 games, and if that continues it could be big later in the season rather than leaning on 2 pitchers for the entire year.
                        I think we will be using more pitchers this year as well. A couple of the freshmen look really good, and we have everyone back from last year as well.

I've never seen a college coach disappear like Bruister has. Have you heard anything at all?

Comment

I can see why UT-Tyler is ranked #1. They won their first 4 games, with margins of 7 or greater. Two of the teams are ranked in the top 25.

WT has the pleasure of hosting UT-Tyler and Commerce on the same weekend.

Comment

Wt pushed its season record to 6-2 by going 4-0 in the Lubbock Classic this weekend. Wt used several pitchers and Salzman picked up where she left off last year. Last year's #1 pitcher, Lair, has yet to throw a pitch. Wt outscored the opposition 32-2, over 5 games, in the tournament. Pitching is clearly deeper and better than last year. We are hitting the ball well for this early in the year. Home opener Friday afternoon at 2:30. This should be a fun season!
                            Last edited by Great White Buffalo; 02-13-2022, 03:59 PM.

Comment

WT dropped to 5th in the nation, due to losses to #2 Valdosta State and Barry. As of Saturday morning each had only lost 1 game. I was surprised to not see Commerce in the Top 25, but they likely will be back in there soon.

WT has a new freshman pitching ace named Heidi Vortherms. Coach Mook said she was the best pitcher he had ever seen and she is off to a very good start, pitching more than the rest of the staff put together. She's 3-1 with a 1.08 ERA. Also very impressive is freshman Emma Parish, who has a 0.00 ERA with a save in limited work. Junior Emilee Wilson, whom Mook brought with him from his last job, is also 3-1 with a 2.80 ERA. Most of that is due to being shelled by Valdosta in the season opener. I think Emilee is very underrated, was particularly effective last May, and is a great asset to the team. World Series game winner Halle Lytal is also back, but has limited work so far with a 0.00 ERA. Kyra Lair is still not back from injury.

Our new left fielder is hitting over .500 and has the third highest OPS on the team. We also have a good D1 transfer 3rd baseman who is looking good. The new SS, also from D1, is improving. Shanna McBroom is being replaced by a pair of catchers, including Shy Sanchez, an NAIA recruit, and Braelyn Booth, a D1 recruit who transferred from ACU. Both look good.

I think we still have about 5 of Mook's NAIA recruits still on the team, including Emilee. However Mook seems very happy with our depth, and is switching players around and replacing more during games than in the past. I don't know how we will do against #1 UT Tyler, but I think we will have another excellent season!

https://nfca.org/divnews/ncaa2/nfca-...unTWLi6ujOFi8Q

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X