Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
    WT dropped to 5th in the nation, due to losses to #2 Valdosta State and Barry. As of Saturday morning each had only lost 1 game. I was surprised to not see Commerce in the Top 25, but they likely will be back in there soon.

WT has a new freshman pitching ace named Heidi Vortherms. Coach Mook said she was the best pitcher he had ever seen and she is off to a very good start, pitching more than the rest of the staff put together. She's 3-1 with a 1.08 ERA. Also very impressive is freshman Emma Parish, who has a 0.00 ERA with a save in limited work. Junior Emilee Wilson, whom Mook brought with him from his last job, is also 3-1 with a 2.80 ERA. Most of that is due to being shelled by Valdosta in the season opener. I think Emilee is very underrated, was particularly effective last May, and is a great asset to the team. World Series game winner Halle Lytal is also back, but has limited work so far with a 0.00 ERA. Kyra Lair is still not back from injury.

Our new left fielder is hitting over .500 and has the third highest OPS on the team. We also have a good D1 transfer 3rd baseman who is looking good. The new SS, also from D1, is improving. Shanna McBroom is being replaced by a pair of catchers, including Shy Sanchez, an NAIA recruit, and Braelyn Booth, a D1 recruit who transferred from ACU. Both look good.

I think we still have about 5 of Mook's NAIA recruits still on the team, including Emilee. However Mook seems very happy with our depth, and is switching players around and replacing more during games than in the past. I don't know how we will do against #1 UT Tyler, but I think we will have another excellent season!

https://nfca.org/divnews/ncaa2/nfca-...unTWLi6ujOFi8Q
    You left out mention of last year's top pitcher, Kyra Lair, who will be back in April. She is rehabbing from off season surgery. Last year she was 25-6, 2.65 ERA, 185 strikeouts in 172 innings.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

You left out mention of last year's top pitcher, Kyra Lair, who will be back in April. She is rehabbing from off season surgery. Last year she was 25-6, 2.65 ERA, 185 strikeouts in 172 innings.
      Actually I did mention her, last sentence of the second paragraph. I am sorry to hear she won't be back sooner.

Comment

Commerce had a rough trip to Georgia last week. They lost twice to North Georgia and once to Ft Lauderdale. Their 2 wins were against a lower tier team. I expect them to be in the top 25 in the coming weeks, but not sure this team is an NC contender. Much depends on the development of the newcomers.

Comment

Actually I did mention her, last sentence of the second paragraph. I am sorry to hear she won't be back sooner.
          Yep Yep. I missed Lair as I quickly glanced through your post.

Comment

I am very impressed. I saw Commerce play Fort Lewis this afternoon. Commerce is very good. LeBlanc pitched 5 innings of no-hit ball and was supported by a hard-hitting offense
            that generated 10 runs on 14 hits. After the game, the team came up into the stands and I had the opportunity to talk with them. I am now more impressed. What a group of fine young ladies.
            Not only are they very good softball players, but they have success written all over them. They are a credit to the school. Best of luck to the Lions.
            The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
              I am very impressed. I saw Commerce play Fort Lewis this afternoon. Commerce is very good. LeBlanc pitched 5 innings of no-hit ball and was supported by a hard-hitting offense
              that generated 10 runs on 14 hits. After the game, the team came up into the stands and I had the opportunity to talk with them. I am now more impressed. What a group of fine young ladies.
              Not only are they very good softball players, but they have success written all over them. They are a credit to the school. Best of luck to the Lions.
              Yes, they tend to get high quality kids in the softball program here. This team is pretty young, Emily Otto is the only senior with a significant role. They have been hit and miss early this season, but have a lot of potential. Interim coach McNutt has been head coach at Southern Miss and SFA and won an NCAA title as team captain and catcher at College Station in the mid 80s, so hopefully she can instill what it takes to get to the top into this team. Right now I put them 3rd or 4th in the LSC with plenty of room to improve.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

Yes, they tend to get high quality kids in the softball program here. This team is pretty young, Emily Otto is the only senior with a significant role. They have been hit and miss early this season, but have a lot of potential. Interim coach McNutt has been head coach at Southern Miss and SFA and won an NCAA title as team captain and catcher at College Station in the mid 80s, so hopefully she can instill what it takes to get to the top into this team. Right now I put them 3rd or 4th in the LSC with plenty of room to improve.
                The LSC is a really tough conference, 3rd or 4th might still mean the top 25 in the nation. Look at what UT Tyler has been up to. https://uttylerpatriots.com/sports/s.../schedule/2022 . OCU is also off to a good start, including defeating #1 Augustana. https://oceagles.com/sports/softball/schedule/2022 . Angelo is just 12-1 so far. https://angelosports.com/sports/softball/schedule/2022

WT takes next weekend off then welcomes UT Tyler and Commerce on the following weekend. We are going to have to do a lot better at the plate. Yes, I know we run ruled Fort Lewis and another team yesterday but they aren't very good.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

Still no word on what happened with Coach Bruister?
                  Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

Still no word on what happened with Coach Bruister?
                    Nothing official yet.

Comment

The LSC is a really tough conference, 3rd or 4th might still mean the top 25 in the nation. Look at what UT Tyler has been up to. https://uttylerpatriots.com/sports/s.../schedule/2022 . OCU is also off to a good start, including defeating #1 Augustana. https://oceagles.com/sports/softball/schedule/2022 . Angelo is just 12-1 so far. https://angelosports.com/sports/softball/schedule/2022

WT takes next weekend off then welcomes UT Tyler and Commerce on the following weekend. We are going to have to do a lot better at the plate. Yes, I know we run ruled Fort Lewis and another team yesterday but they aren't very good.
                      Talented and deep

71-11 - That's the combined W-L for UTT, Angelo, TAMK, St Mary's, LCU, OCU, WT and SEU.
                      25-11 - The next three teams, Cameron, TAMC and ENMU. Not too shabby.
                      Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Talented and deep

71-11 - That's the combined W-L for UTT, Angelo, TAMK, St Mary's, LCU, OCU, WT and SEU.
                        25-11 - The next three teams, Cameron, TAMC and ENMU. Not too shabby.
                        Sorry, I forgot to mention Kingsville at 8-1. https://javelinaathletics.com/sports.../schedule/2022

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention Kingsville at 8-1. https://javelinaathletics.com/sports.../schedule/2022
                          I was just pointing out how well most of the conference is doing. This season should be really fun to watch.

Comment

I was just pointing out how well most of the conference is doing. This season should be really fun to watch.
                            I agree. Watched Commerce again today, they have a lot of upside and are playing well now. Wt is very young, 6 Freshmen - 15 Sophomores - 5 Juniors. We are more athletic than last year and have deeper pitching. The bottom 1/3 of our order is not hitting, they need to pick up the pace. It will be a dog fight to get out of the LSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

I agree. Watched Commerce again today, they have a lot of upside and are playing well now. Wt is very young, 6 Freshmen - 15 Sophomores - 5 Juniors. We are more athletic than last year and have deeper pitching. The bottom 1/3 of our order is not hitting, they need to pick up the pace. It will be a dog fight to get out of the LSC.
                              You are right about the pitchers, and Lair hasn't thrown a pitch yet.

It's really hard to tell about our batters right now. The last 2 weekends have provided little competition so everyone is hitting right now. I am hoping Valforte gets better soon as we need her bat. The new catchers are getting the job done, especially Sanchez. The new shortstop seems to be improving. She doesn't have a high batting average, but is getting on base and her RBI totals are good. She has a rocket arm. I'm convinced Mook can improve any and all batters, but it will take time.

After today the conference schedule starts and UT Tyler and Commerce will both be hard to beat. Last season we were swept by UTT, Commerce, and OCU in the regular season, but things changed dramatically in May. There will be some bumps in the road in March and April but I think Mook will get the team where they need to be.
                              Last edited by WT_TKW; 02-20-2022, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I noticed when Vortherms is on the mound she calls her own game. The coaching staff is not calling pitches. I wonder if that will continue after the conference starts.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X