Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
    I noticed when Vortherms is on the mound she calls her own game. The coaching staff is not calling pitches. I wonder if that will continue after the conference starts.
    Sometimes a good, smart pitcher (or catcher) with a great feel for the match ups can set up batters better than some schmo in the dugout. If Mook recognizes that ability in Vortherms, good for him! JMO.

Comment

The softball season is about 1/4 complete, and here are some impressive stats

Nationally where some LSC teams rank

Batting average - #4 & #5
      Slugging - #3, #4, #6, #9
      Scoring - #3, #10

ERA - #3, #6
      WHIP - #1, #2

Individually
      Slugging - #3, #6
      HR - #2, #4, #4
      Stolen Bases - #2, #7, #10

ERA - #8 (3 more in top 15)
      Strikeouts - #1, #7
      Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Well, Wt starts the season by jumping in the deep end. #1 UT Tyler today - #25 Commerce on Sunday.
        We will see if Wt is "for real" or not.
        The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

West Texas A&M took down the nation's top-ranked team on Friday night as the No. 4 Lady Buffs defeated No. 1 UT Tyler 7-5 in front of their home crowd at Schaeffer Park. The Patriots claimed game two of the doubleheader with a 6-5 nine-inning victory to snap WT's 11-game win streak.

The Lady Buffs return to Schaeffer Park on Sunday, March 6 for their second Top 25 match when they host No. 23 Texas A&M-Commerce. The first pitch is set for 1 p.m. of Sunday's doubleheader.

THE BASICS
          Game 14 Score: #4 West Texas A&M 7, #1 UT Tyler 5
          Records: West Texas A&M 12-2, UT Tyler 14-1
          Pitching: (W) Heidi Vortherms (7-1); (L) Payton Foster (8-1); (S) Emma Parrish (2)

After a 1-2-3 top of the inning, Brittni Rufus led off the conference opener with a double off the left-center wall to bring Ruby Salzman to the plate. The junior centerfielder hit between the 5-6 hole to score Rufus from second to take a 1-0 lead.

The Patriots' Ashley Perez leveled the score after sending one deep and over center field to start off the second inning before UTT took the lead off a single in the third.

The Lady Buffs took control of the game in the bottom half of the inning, scoring six runs on seven hits. Sophomore Julie Guzman hit a shot off the wall to put a runner in scoring position to bring up the top of the order. The dynamic duo of Rufus and Salzman went back-to-back with homers into left field to lead 4-2.

Diana Murtha followed with a double into right-center before coming across the plate on throwing error from behind the plate. The final two runs scored off a single by Sydney Greeson to make it 7-2, in favor of the Lady Buffs.

The Patriots threatened the lead in the fifth with a pair of runs led by a homer from Amanda Marek. WT's defense held shut down the run while Emma Parrish struck out the final batter to hand UTT its first loss of the season.

Rufus and Salzman led at the plate with a hit going 3-for-4 with a pair of RBI while Rufus had a game-high two runs.

Freshman Heidi Vortherms (7-1) was rewarded the victory allowing five runs (four earned) on eight hits with seven strikeouts and six walks while Parrish earned her second save of the season. Payton Foster (8-1)received the loss allowing six earned runs on seven hits with two strikeouts through two innings.

THE BASICS
          Game 15 Score: #1 UT Tyler 6, #4 West Texas A&M 5
          Records: UT Tyler 15-1, West Texas A&M 12-3
          Pitching: (W) Sarah Gartman (5-0); (L) Emma Parrish (0-1)

Brittni Rufus singled up the middle to lead off game two of the doubleheader before coming across the plate on a fielding error in left field.

The Patriots responded in the third with a solo home run into left field to tie it a 1-all, but smart base running gave WT back the lead when Ruby Salzman stole home. The lead was short-lived as UTT capitalized on a trio of errors to add four runs to the board, 5-2.

In the bottom of the seventh, Diana Murtha crushed a ball past the pitcher to score Salzman from second to cut the Patriots lead to two. The Lady Buffs leveled the score at 5-all with hits by Maddie Geidel and Braeland Booth to send the game into extra innings.

UTT landed the two runners on base to lead off the ninth until Hanna Fradkin drove a 0-1 pitch down the left-field line to score the deciding run. The Lady Buffs loaded the bases in the bottom of the inning, but the Patriots defense locked in to split the conference series.

WT outhit the Patriots 16-8 in the final game with six Lady Buffs recording multiple hits led by Murtha who went 3-for-5 with one run and one RBI.

Three pitchers saw the mound for both teams with Sarah Gartman earning the victory. The senior shut down the Lady Buffs through the final two innings allowing just four hits with one walk and strikeout. Freshman Emma Parrish was credited the loss after allowing the winning run with four hits.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Last edited by WT_TKW; 03-09-2022, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I was thinking a split, 2 - 2 for the weekend would have been good.
                  Wt did not play a strong pre-season schedule. That probably hurt us.
                  IMHO - This team has a lot of up-side. It's a long season, we'll be good when it counts the most.

Comment

I watched all 4 games online. BTW, adding in the outfield camera (and all the replays) is great. Thank you AD McBroom! It was a WT weekend where "things were just a little out of whack." Like it's been said, I bet Mook will get it lined out when it really counts (and pretty soon).

Comment

Wt is 6th in the current poll. Not bad after the weekend we had.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                        I watched all 4 games online. BTW, adding in the outfield camera (and all the replays) is great. Thank you AD McBroom! It was a WT weekend where "things were just a little out of whack." Like it's been said, I bet Mook will get it lined out when it really counts (and pretty soon).
                        I am glad WT finally caught up to LCU, but they need to switch to the other camera when there is a hit, not wait until the play is nearly over.

I was disappointed to see such a small crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
                          I was thinking a split, 2 - 2 for the weekend would have been good.
                          Wt did not play a strong pre-season schedule. That probably hurt us.
                          IMHO - This team has a lot of up-side. It's a long season, we'll be good when it counts the most.
                          Valdosta and Barry are very good teams. We lost to both.

Being defending national champions is like having a target on your back.

Comment

Comment

WT swept A&M International today. They are well under .500 but it was still good to get the sweep.

The production was better today, with better camera switching, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. After the game they decided to interview some players and Coach Mook, which is a great idea. Unfortunately, that was a train wreck. Lucas was standing on the field looking lost so they kept switching to more commercials. Finally Emilee Wilson came out to be interviewed but Lucas held the microphone too far from her face so 75% of what she had to say was lost. I really like her and hated to see that happen. Murtha came out and it went slightly better. By the time Mook came out, it worked fine. You would think they would practice this sort of thing, but it is clear they did not.

For some reason when the players come out and line up after the game, the director places a giant banner on screen which covers them up. I would like to see the players celebrating, instead of a huge score banner, which could be in the upper corner of the screen. I wish they would think about what they are doing!

Comment

Two of the top teams in the LSC, Wt & Kingsville, battled each other, questionable officiating and the elements Sunday afternoon. With winds of 35-45 and gusts of 55, every pop-up and fly ball was an adventure. There was a total of 13 errors by the two teams. Kingsville is a very good, well-coached team. I keep forgetting Wt is a very young team. Only one Sr. Wt came away with the sweep 8-7 in the first game and 8-2 in the second game. Lair picked up the win in both games. She pitched 0.1 innings in the first game to close it out. Pitching 4.0 in the second game. I was impressed with Kelly and Cervantes for Kingsville. Both hit the ball well and make very good plays in the outfield. I am sure we will meet again in the post-season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X