Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
    Two of the top teams in the LSC, Wt & Kingsville, battled each other, questionable officiating and the elements Sunday afternoon. With winds of 35-45 and gusts of 55, every pop-up and fly ball was an adventure. There was a total of 13 errors by the two teams. Kingsville is a very good, well-coached team. I keep forgetting Wt is a very young team. Only one Sr. Wt came away with the sweep 8-7 in the first game and 8-2 in the second game. Lair picked up the win in both games. She pitched 0.1 innings in the first game to close it out. Pitching 4.0 in the second game. I was impressed with Kelly and Cervantes for Kingsville. Both hit the ball well and make very good plays in the outfield. I am sure we will meet again in the post-season.
    Actually our softball team has no seniors, and only a few juniors. That is thanks to the extra year they got for COVID.

Heidi and Emma had a tough time closing out that first game, and it was good to see Lair come in and make a difference. She pitched well in the second game, but Emilee Wilson really did a number on Kingsville, holding them to a single hit and no walks in her 3 innings of work. Those 2 make a dynamic duo when they pitch about half the game each because their pitches are so different. They led us to last years championship, with a little help from Halle Lytal. You might remember both Kyra and Emilee had perfect games against ENMU. It's true that ENMU was not a great team, but no one else completely shut them down like they did.

As much as I like the new scoreboard camera, they shouldn't use it when it is shaking from high winds!

Comment

WT started strong against St Edward's, jumping out to an 8-0 lead. They won 8-2 but were asleep for the next 3 games, losing all. Our best pitchers were hammered and the batters were inept. In game 2 Lair loaded the bases and walked in the tying run. An infield popup bewildered our players and fell to the ground, ending the game.

Murtha is playing well at 3rd but the rest of the infielders need to wake up!

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
        WT started strong against St Edward's, jumping out to an 8-0 lead. They won 8-2 but were asleep for the next 3 games, losing all. Our best pitchers were hammered and the batters were inept. In game 2 Lair loaded the bases and walked in the tying run. An infield popup bewildered our players and fell to the ground, ending the game.

Murtha is playing well at 3rd but the rest of the infielders need to wake up!
        Haven't kept up much with softball this year but was shocked to see the Lady Buffs sitting at 8-8 in conference. Hopefully they fool me like the basketball teams did and go on a late season run.

Austin can be a bad place to get distracted at.

On another note. I went to the LSC homepage and saw an update on the tennis schedule. Surprised a lot of the LSC schools dont have a tennis program. The Panhandle produces state champions from time to time and will have a high school tennis hall of fame coach from Amarillo High in coach Otto when his career is finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Haven't kept up much with softball this year but was shocked to see the Lady Buffs sitting at 8-8 in conference. Hopefully they fool me like the basketball teams did and go on a late season run.

Austin can be a bad place to get distracted at.

On another note. I went to the LSC homepage and saw an update on the tennis schedule. Surprised a lot of the LSC schools dont have a tennis program. The Panhandle produces state champions from time to time and will have a high school tennis hall of fame coach from Amarillo High in coach Otto when his career is finished.
          LCU adding women's tennis
          Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Lady Buffs have finished the tough part of their schedule and have weakest ahead. Hopefully they can put together a string of wins and move up in the LSC standings. Sit 8th now.

Comment

Commerce had a decent weekend sweeping #10 Lubbock Christian and splitting with #13 Angelo, all on the road. Commerce (14-2) is now in 1st place in the LSC, 1 game ahead of UT Tyler (13-3).
              Last edited by JakeTAMUC; 03-28-2022, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldbuff View Post
                Lady Buffs have finished the tough part of their schedule and have weakest ahead. Hopefully they can put together a string of wins and move up in the LSC standings. Sit 8th now.
                Wasn't St. Edwards supposed to be the start of that weakest schedule?

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

LCU adding women's tennis
                  Awesome! I am partial to tennis since that was my main sport in high school and coached high school tennis briefly.

Comment

It probably should have been, but WT does have the weakest remaining schedule by a wide margin. OCU is the only remaining team with a winning record. Cameron can be tough on any given weekend, but are inconsistent (swept ASU, but split with TWU, MSU, SEU). The other five squads are 16-64 in LSC play. Worst-case WT goes 13-3 the rest of the way.
                    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Yes, they were below .500.

Cameron always gives us fits.

WT seems to be missing the killer instinct they had last April, May, and June. Maybe some of the players need to step up and become leaders, as the 3 seniors we had last year did. I would also like to see someone else at short stop. We have to have someone ready anyway in case of injury, and I have so far only seen Guerike play the position this year. Her batting average is low, and she is not as good as Cordell on defense. Also our main catcher, from ACU, is hitting below .200 in conference play.
                      Last edited by WT_TKW; 03-28-2022, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Yes, they were below .500.

Cameron always gives us fits.

WT seems to be missing the killer instinct they had last April, May, and June. Maybe some of the players need to step up and become leaders, as the 3 seniors we had last year did. I would also like to see someone else at short stop. We have to have someone ready anyway in case of injury, and I have so far only seen Guerike play the position this year. Her batting average is low, and she is not as good as Cordell on defense. Also our main catcher, from ACU, is hitting below .200 in conference play.
                        We really need some leadership. Guerike is getting better in the field, no she's not Cordell but who is?? Hitting is her biggest issue. Wt needs to put it all together and start a run.
                        The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

We really need some leadership. Guerike is getting better in the field, no she's not Cordell but who is? Hitting is her biggest issue. WT needs to put it all together and start a run.
                          We have a long history of very good short stops. Lemos, Ramirez, and even McBroom was pretty good. I think you are right though, she is improving on her fielding. .205 in conference play is not an acceptable batting average, though it's better than Booth's .143. All of the remaining NAIA recruits we have hit better, and those 2 came from D1.

Valforte has been hurt but is coming up to speed. She was charged with the error that cost game 2 against St Edwards, so there is still room for improvement. Johnson is not as effective as she was last year.

I know Mook likes having lots of good pitchers and so do I. I used to feel for Marci, and Hannah when they were expected to carry the team. I thought they did very well but it's better to have a good staff like we have now. However, we do need more power hitters. Sanchez has been a pleasant surprise with her batting (,304 conference), but she has no power. Maybe some of the new recruits will become great hitters, but I haven't seen any sign of that yet.

Comment

West Texas A&M softball dropped to 20th in the latest National Fastpitch Coaches Association Division II Top 25 Polls released by the association's offices in Kentucky. The Lady Buffs moved to 19-10 and 8-8 in conference play after falling to St. Edward's and St. Mary's last weekend.

Concordia Irvine moved to the top spot of the national standings as the unanimous No. 1, receiving all 16 possible first-place votes with a perfect 32-0 record. UT Tyler moved to second after recording a pair of losses over the weekend followed by Rogers State, Valdosta State and Indianapolis rounding out the Top 5.

Alongside UTT, six additional programs from the Lone Star Conference ranked in this week's national standings with Texas A&M Commerce in ninth followed by Texas A&M-Kingsville (12th), Angelo State (14th), Lubbock Christian (17th), WT (20th), and Oklahoma Christian (22nd).

The Lady Buffs will open their eight-game homestand with a doubleheader series against Cameron (April 1) before facing No. 22 Oklahoma Christian (April 3). WT will return to Schaeffer Park for the final home games of the regular series with matchups against Midwestern State on April 8 followed by the final home series against Texas Woman's on April 10. Where WT will honor Lady Buff seniors for Senior Day.
                            The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Wayne and Linda Woodward generously started a scholarship in 2016 for the WT softball team. Recently they have installed a buffalo that will add $1K to the scholarship fund when a WT player hits it. Kudos to Wayne and Linda!

https://gobuffsgo.com/news/2022/3/31...ffer-park.aspx

Comment

Commerce swept International yesterday, allowing just 1 run in the two games. Tyler split with Kingsville yesterday so Commerce now has a 2 game lead in the LSC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X