Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
    What are the LSC Softball Standings?

I gather since there are no calls for the death of a coach or his/her exile from the United States, WT must be at or near the top?
    As you can see, not really. Mook is just a really good coach. The girls give their best effort ALL the time. In the games I have watched he does not get outcoached. Of course, an NC Ring will cut you a little slack.
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

As you can see, not really. Mook is just a really good coach. The girls give their best effort ALL the time. In the games I have watched he does not get outcoached. Of course, an NC Ring will cut you a little slack.
      What are the standings? Is WT having a good season?

Comment

Ahhhh....I just went to see what you were talking about. Didn't realize or forgot that WT won the NC last year.

And I just looked up the current standings. What happened in ONE YEAR to have a team drop like that if the coach is as good as you say?

Curious to hear your take on it.
        Last edited by ASUPops; 04-11-2022, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Ahhhh....I just went to see what you were talking about. Didn't realize or forgot that WT won the NC last year.

And I just looked up the current standings. What happened in ONE YEAR to have a team drop like that if the coach is as good as you say?

Curious to hear your take on it.
          WT lost two girls to graduation that were the "Heart & Soul" of the team. Our Short-Stop and Catcher. (Important positions) Difficult, if not impossible to replace.
          This team only has one senior. Last year's #1 pitcher had an off-season knee surgery and has not regained last year's form. She pitched us to the title in the tournament last year.
          This year's team is very young. The mistakes they make show that. Lack of on-field leadership and missing your #1 pitcher is not a good combination.

There is no doubt that Mook is a high-level Coach. He is very intelligent. (MS degree in Physics) He is well-liked and respected in the coaching community.
          What impresses me is the respect and effort his players give him. Unlike a former coach, he does not play favorites. All of the players are "his girls."
          Mook and his assistant appear to be good recruiters. Several highly recruited players on the team. You talk to the girls and you hear, "this just feels like home."
          There is no doubt in my mind that the program is positioned to be competitive at the Regional and National levels.
          Last edited by Great White Buffalo; 04-12-2022, 06:16 PM.

Comment

WT lost two girls to graduation that were the "Heart & Soul" of the team. Our Short-Stop and Catcher. (Important positions) Difficult, if not impossible to replace.
            This team only has one senior. Last year's #1 pitcher had an off-season knee surgery and has not regained last year's form. She pitched us to the title in the tournament last year.
            This year's team is very young. The mistakes they make show that. Lack of on-field leadership and missing your #1 pitcher is not a good combination.

There is no doubt that Mook is a high-level Coach. He is very intelligent. (MS degree in Physics) He is well-liked and respected in the coaching community.
            What impresses me is the respect and effort his players give him. Unlike a former coach, he does not play favorites. All of the players are "his girls."
            Mook and his assistant appear to be good recruiters. Several highly recruited players on the team. You talk to the girls and you hear, "this just feels like home."
            There is no doubt in my mind that the program is positioned to be competitive at the Regional and National levels.
            Thank you for your insight.

You would think being '21 NC would drive tons of top recruits to WT to overcome the list players. But I know VERY little about recruiting outside of football.

Comment

You would think being '21 NC would drive tons of top recruits to WT to overcome the list players. But I know VERY little about recruiting outside of football.
              As with most Women's sports, it's Who you play with not where. I also think he missed on two or three of the girls - but what do I know. The high-profile girls were mostly
              pitchers. One of which had her first perfect game last weekend. Mook probably used his scholly money on the pitchers. Wt should be good on pitching for the next 2-3 years.

Comment

Unlike football recruiting, most of the softball recruiting is done before the season, so there might be a year or even two year lag.

For example, we were 2019 National Runners-up.
                Our recruiting class for that year (2020 Freshmen) was announced on January 11, 2019, before the season started. We have one girl left from that class.
                The next year's class was much better, with 2 of our current pitching staff and both of our middle infielders, as well as several contributing backups.
                This year's newcomers include another very good pitcher, our starting corner infielders and a freshman that has been given increased PT as the year has progressed, and is line to replace one of our three senior starters.
                Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

Unlike football recruiting, most of the softball recruiting is done before the season, so there might be a year or even two year lag.

For example, we were 2019 National Runners-up.
                  Our recruiting class for that year (2020 Freshmen) was announced on January 11, 2019, before the season started. We have one girl left from that class.
                  The next year's class was much better, with 2 of our current pitching staff and both of our middle infielders, as well as several contributing backups.
                  This year's newcomers include another very good pitcher, our starting corner infielders and a freshman that has been given increased PT as the year has progressed, and is line to replace one of our three senior starters.
                  Thanks for the info.

Comment

I am surprised, the first regional ranking and Wt is 7th. I was thinking Wt would be on the outside looking in.

Comment

I am surprised, the first regional ranking and Wt is 7th. I was thinking Wt would be on the outside looking in.
                      Yep especially since WT is in 8th place in their own conference.

Comment

I just happened to be in the WT athletic offices yesterday when the regional rankings were released. There were a lot of surprised and pleased people.

Comment

What happened at UTPB? Did Hughes have a talk with the team?

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                            What happened at UTPB? Did Hughes have a talk with the team?
                            Yeah you can kiss that #7 regional ranking goodbye...

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Yeah you can kiss that #7 regional ranking goodbye...
                              Yeah....you can kiss this year goodbye.

Regionals were kind to WT.....giving them the benefit of doubt because they were last years NC.

Say what you will folks, I don't care. But IMO, going from a NC to THIS is terrible. This is 100% a coaching snafu. Pure and simple. You don't fall this hard after a NC. Sorry.

Comment

But they played really good teams so they should be ranked first.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X