Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

And more $$$ being spent at Tarleton. Apparently Track will no longer be part of the stadium because they are building a new Track / practice field for the Texans.

https://tarletonsports.com/news/2022...g-surface.aspx
    Maybe the rest of us red headed step children should change our names to Tarleton State ( insert city or region here).. It might get us a few more crumbs from the cake?

Comment

• Techster88 Good for Tarleton State. If you can afford it, do it.
      Last edited by crixus; 06-13-2022, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• Tarleton will soon begin construction on new covered seating/bleachers and press boxes at both the baseball and softball stadiums... More progress, more new / upgraded facilities on tap! I saw the architect's renderings earlier this week and the long-overdue upgrades will certainly compliment the new turf, lighting and outfield walls that were installed prior to the 2022 season. Crews are working overtime to get the new track completed, and construction began on the north end zone seating at Memorial Stadium prior to the spring semester ending and commencement being held at the football stadium. Capacity will be nearly 24,000 once completed. The city of Stephenville is really ramping up construction on the Harbin Drive project that borders campus to the west, with lots of new stormwater and utility infrastructure going in to accommodate the fast-growing university as well as the new Convocation/Events Center and on-campus hotel that will be coming soon. Harbin Drive will go from a two-lane street to a divided four-lane boulevard from Washington Street, north to the Northwest Loop intersection. Tarleton is also about to start construction on a new five-level parking structure on Washington Street adjacent to the College of Business and across the street from the Cecil Ballow Baseball Complex. The first floor of the parking structure will include retail space for a new campus bookstore with higher visibility along a major street and a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant/bar. This summer, work is also underway on bringing a Blaze Pizza and Auntie Anne's pretzel eatery inside the dining hall and student center. It's definitely an exciting time to be a Tarleton Texan!

Comment

• Originally posted by TarletonStateTexan View Post
          Tarleton will soon begin construction on new covered seating/bleachers and press boxes at both the baseball and softball stadiums... More progress, more new / upgraded facilities on tap! I saw the architect's renderings earlier this week and the long-overdue upgrades will certainly compliment the new turf, lighting and outfield walls that were installed prior to the 2022 season. Crews are working overtime to get the new track completed, and construction began on the north end zone seating at Memorial Stadium prior to the spring semester ending and commencement being held at the football stadium. Capacity will be nearly 24,000 once completed. The city of Stephenville is really ramping up construction on the Harbin Drive project that borders campus to the west, with lots of new stormwater and utility infrastructure going in to accommodate the fast-growing university as well as the new Convocation/Events Center and on-campus hotel that will be coming soon. Harbin Drive will go from a two-lane street to a divided four-lane boulevard from Washington Street, north to the Northwest Loop intersection. Tarleton is also about to start construction on a new five-level parking structure on Washington Street adjacent to the College of Business and across the street from the Cecil Ballow Baseball Complex. The first floor of the parking structure will include retail space for a new campus bookstore with higher visibility along a major street and a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant/bar. This summer, work is also underway on bringing a Blaze Pizza and Auntie Anne's pretzel eatery inside the dining hall and student center. It's definitely an exciting time to be a Tarleton Texan!
          I'm glad to hear the softball field is getting upgrades. Maybe it's been done a time or two since I watched WT play there about 11 years ago. No place to buy tickets, rickety stands, and the restroom was behind center field. I know Kingsville's restroom was/is also behind center field. I can't imagine that anyone would find that convenient.

It's cool how things are improving at Tarleton. Looks like you have some real stiff competition in football this fall (based on last year's records) in North Alabama (3-8), Mississippi Valley State (4-7), Lamar (2-9), HBU(0-11) plus old LSC buddies ACU, Incarnate Word, and ENMU. The rest of the schedule is respectable, with likely a nice payout at TCU. Plus all games except North Alabama will be on ESPN+, which is professionally done, unlike the D2 stuff I have to put up with for $10/game. Being on national TV, even on cable, is a big plus for the school.

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

I'm glad to hear the softball field is getting upgrades. Maybe it's been done a time or two since I watched WT play there about 11 years ago. No place to buy tickets, rickety stands, and the restroom was behind center field. I know Kingsville's restroom was/is also behind center field. I can't imagine that anyone would find that convenient.

It's cool how things are improving at Tarleton. Looks like you have some real stiff competition in football this fall (based on last year's records) in North Alabama (3-8), Mississippi Valley State (4-7), Lamar (2-9), HBU(0-11) plus old LSC buddies ACU, Incarnate Word, and ENMU. The rest of the schedule is respectable, with likely a nice payout at TCU. Plus all games except North Alabama will be on ESPN+, which is professionally done, unlike the D2 stuff I have to put up with for $10/game. Being on national TV, even on cable, is a big plus for the school.
            I have to wonder if this is because of the Texas FCS teams moving up to BCS. Hopefully the other LSC schools that moved up can get money for their facilities to be at the D1 level. Especially in basketball, D2 teams have the same quality or better quality facilities than some of the D1 schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I have to wonder if this is because of the Texas FCS teams moving up to BCS. Hopefully the other LSC schools that moved up can get money for their facilities to be at the D1 level. Especially in basketball, D2 teams have the same quality or better quality facilities than some of the D1 schools.
              Yeah if you Google Houston Baptist basketball gym you would think it was a gym for watching 3rd grade recreational church league.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

That could be the case.

We have a nice gym for basketball. They over built it so many of the upper seats are covered in plastic. One of the basketball fans could tell you what percentage are never used for basketball games. They also use it for graduations, even though they said that's one of the reasons we needed a new football stadium. I guess they forgot about weather, so May's graduation was broken up into several parts in the basketball arena.

When WT was D1 they played their games in the Amarillo Civic Center, about 18 miles away. They were well attended and we were in the top 20 one year. Back then the on-campus basketball arena was too small for the Missouri Valley Conference, though it's still used for volleyball.

I don't think that many fans drive down from Amarillo to watch D2 basketball. If we were to move back to D1 they might, but no guarantee. I'm wondering who will go to the games at all once all these old people are no longer able to attend.

Comment

That could be the case.

We have a nice gym for basketball. They over built it so many of the upper seats are covered in plastic. One of the basketball fans could tell you what percentage are never used for basketball games. They also use it for graduations, even though they said that's one of the reasons we needed a new football stadium. I guess they forgot about weather, so May's graduation was broken up into several parts in the basketball arena.

When WT was D1 they played their games in the Amarillo Civic Center, about 18 miles away. They were well attended and we were in the top 20 one year. Back then the on-campus basketball arena was too small for the Missouri Valley Conference, though it's still used for volleyball.

I don't think that many fans drive down from Amarillo to watch D2 basketball. If we were to move back to D1 they might, but no guarantee. I'm wondering who will go to the games at all once all these old people are no longer able to attend.

That looks better than most of the WCC where they still use bleachers. Even CWU's arena holds around 500 people less than a couple of the schools in a town of only 20k.

Comment

That could be the case.

One end, upper deck, behind the basket in what is called "shooter's eye." Maybe 150 seats at the most.
                    Graduation is ALWAYS held in two sessions, morning and afternoon.

I have been to 4 events that were sell-outs. The first game when it opened. A Bill Cosby event, and two WBB regional finales.
                    The WBB regional finals were at a time before Wt classes were out for spring break. We had a lot of student support.
                    Mark Kellog's second year, Wt finished second in the nation, was standing room only, and people were turned away.
                    If classes were in session, the FUB would be close to capacity for the regional tournaments. Wt has the highest average attendance in the LSC.
                    This last year the lower section was full for all the WT games. For the finals, the lower sections were full and about 25% full in the upper section
                    without classes being in session.

The FUB is used for events other than basketball. I have been told that it is used 225 days a year, it is the most used building on campus.
                    That is hardly "over-built."
                    Last edited by Great White Buffalo; 06-15-2022, 08:52 PM.
                    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

• Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

One end, upper deck, behind the basket in what is called "shooter's eye." Maybe 150 seats at the most.
                      Graduation is ALWAYS held in two sessions, morning and afternoon.

I have been to 4 events that were sell-outs. The first game when it opened. A Bill Cosby event, and two WBB regional finales.
                      The WBB regional finals were at a time before Wt classes were out for spring break. We had a lot of student support.
                      Mark Kellog's second year, Wt finished second in the nation, was standing room only, and people were turned away.
                      If classes were in session, the FUB would be close to capacity for the regional tournaments. Wt has the highest average attendance in the LSC.
                      This last year the lower section was full for all the WT games. For the finals, the lower sections were full and about 25% full in the upper section
                      without classes being in session.

The FUB is used for events other than basketball. I have been told that it is used 225 days a year, it is the most used building on campus.
                      That is hardly "over-built."
                      Bill Cosby was one of the 4 sold out events (5800 seats) you attended since it opened in 2002? Was he talking about Spanish fly? I stand corrected, it must not be over-built !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtZwL4c2JYA&t=16s

Comment

• The 5,800 is with chairs on the floor, I think the "seat" number is closer to 4,500

Those were the 4 events I attended, not the only times the FUB was at capacity.
                        D2 National Finals for VB, several musical concerts, and speakers.

At a cost of $15 million, it is well worth the money spent.
                        Last edited by Great White Buffalo; 06-16-2022, 07:05 AM.
                        The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

• I do not think there is a lot of merit to the argument that aTm system is promoting one school over the others within the system. Project like that have to be locally funded Typically the affiliate school make a proposal to the regents and the regents either approve or reject the proposal. Since state funds cannot be used for athletics, I am sure TSU had to show that they can raise the funds through student fees and donations before the regents approved the project.

I am sure that if aTi could raise the funds for new facilities the regents would approve the projects.

Comment

That could be the case.

For giggles I looked at the ACU athletics homepage for attendance figures the last year since they have had recent Southland conference championship success and NCAA tournament success with a win over Texas.

2021-22 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - Abilene Christian University Athletics (acusports.com)

They averaged 746 attendees over 17 games.

Looking at the WT attendance figures they routinely drew around 1200 attendees even on weekday games.

The LCU game alone drew 2,759 attendees.

My take on it if WT does go D1 in the future (distant at this rate) and their men's team is still nationally competitive then there isn't any reason why WT couldn't get close to selling out weekend games.

The key to all that would be for the WT athletic department and the Amarillo News Stations to be involved in advertisement and promotions if that happens.

Having potential home games televised (streamed) on ESPN 3 and making the NCAA tournament with tournament championships could help attendance as well.

Comment

Plus all games except North Alabama will be on ESPN+, which is professionally done
                              All UNA home games are on ESPN+.
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

• Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X