Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

For giggles I looked at the ACU athletics homepage for attendance figures the last year since they have had recent Southland conference championship success and NCAA tournament success with a win over Texas.

2021-22 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - Abilene Christian University Athletics (acusports.com)

They averaged 746 attendees over 17 games.

Looking at the WT attendance figures they routinely drew around 1200 attendees even on weekday games.

The LCU game alone drew 2,759 attendees.

My take on it if WT does go D1 in the future (distant at this rate) and their men's team is still nationally competitive then there isn't any reason why WT couldn't get close to selling out weekend games.

The key to all that would be for the WT athletic department and the Amarillo News Stations to be involved in advertisement and promotions if that happens.

Having potential home games televised (streamed) on ESPN 3 and making the NCAA tournament with tournament championships could help attendance as well.
    I wonder if Covid may have effected some of the attendance. Then again, it is Texas. I decided to compare CWU's average attendance for 2019-20 to 2021-2022 and it was down about 50% in men's basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I wonder if Covid may have effected some of the attendance. Then again, it is Texas. I decided to compare CWU's average attendance for 2019-20 to 2021-2022 and it was down about 50% in men's basketball.
      If it did it was minimal. It wouldn't have played a factor on how D2 WT is able to outdraw D1 ACU on average home games.

Comment

• Can't speak for Midwestern but the BIG 12 could send WT a free all expenses paid invite and they aren't going as long as the current WT president is in charge.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNALions View Post

All UNA home games are on ESPN+.
          That may be so, but it doesn't show up that way on the Tarleton schedule.

Comment

For giggles I looked at the ACU athletics homepage for attendance figures the last year since they have had recent Southland conference championship success and NCAA tournament success with a win over Texas.

2021-22 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - Abilene Christian University Athletics (acusports.com)

They averaged 746 attendees over 17 games.

Looking at the WT attendance figures they routinely drew around 1200 attendees even on weekday games.

The LCU game alone drew 2,759 attendees.

My take on it if WT does go D1 in the future (distant at this rate) and their men's team is still nationally competitive then there isn't any reason why WT couldn't get close to selling out weekend games.

The key to all that would be for the WT athletic department and the Amarillo News Stations to be involved in advertisement and promotions if that happens.

Having potential home games televised (streamed) on ESPN 3 and making the NCAA tournament with tournament championships could help attendance as well.
            How could having home games streamed help attendance? People in Amarillo consider driving to Canyon a "long drive".

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

That may be so, but it doesn't show up that way on the Tarleton schedule.
              Just telling you it will be on ESPN+.
              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

How could having home games streamed help attendance? People in Amarillo consider driving to Canyon a "long drive".
                Students want to show up and be on TV.

During the days when Corpus had a good team the attendance was higher especially between the free throw lines during streamed/televised games.

The University and Corpus media back then also did a great job in advertising those events ahead of time.
                Last edited by Buffalo/Islander Alum; 06-16-2022, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I have to wonder if this is because of the Texas FCS teams moving up to BCS. Hopefully the other LSC schools that moved up can get money for their facilities to be at the D1 level. Especially in basketball, D2 teams have the same quality or better quality facilities than some of the D1 schools.
                  Still waiting to see some major improvements from TAMU-Commerce/ East Texas State. The school made the jump albeit to the lowly Southland Conference but I have not seen anything in upgrades going on like at Tarleton. IF we are supposed to be rivals then we need to keep up with the Jones so to speak. The football stadium needs a major overhaul not lipstick on a pig. I cannot see why Commerce can't do a major stadium overhaul and bring the stadium into the 21st century. If the commitment was made to go D1 then commitment upgrades need to be made as well otherwise we are no better off than the broke Louisiana schools we share the conference with.

Comment

Students want to show up and be on TV.

During the days when Corpus had a good team the attendance was higher especially between the free throw lines during streamed/televised games.

The University and Corpus media back then also did a great job in advertising those events ahead of time.
                    Times have changed now that anyone can make a video and have it on Youtube in minutes.

Comment

Times have changed now that anyone can make a video and have it on Youtube in minutes.
                      That is what SFU has been doing, although I wonder with the change of conference if the GNAC teams will keep their current streaming platforms. CWU's upgraded in a big way last year with SWX, the local NBC affiliates alternate channel although it did have problems at times getting the feed to the website.

Comment

Regardless of the times and procedure if the school has a winning team the attendance will be there.

Even if WT was just able to make the NCAA tournament play in game (Like Corpus last year) it will still have more viewers and cash flow than winning a D2 national championship in basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Still waiting to see some major improvements from TAMU-Commerce/ East Texas State. The school made the jump albeit to the lowly Southland Conference but I have not seen anything in upgrades going on like at Tarleton. IF we are supposed to be rivals then we need to keep up with the Jones so to speak. The football stadium needs a major overhaul not lipstick on a pig. I cannot see why Commerce can't do a major stadium overhaul and bring the stadium into the 21st century. If the commitment was made to go D1 then commitment upgrades need to be made as well otherwise we are no better off than the broke Louisiana schools we share the conference with.
                          Problem is one of the "broke Louisiana schools" McNeese State are starting to call the shots in the conference. The Southland moved the Southland Conference basketball, baseball, and softball championships to their home campus starting next year to keep them from moving to the WAC or C-USA. That will be fun to try to secure an NCAA tournament bid if they only finished 5th in the conference but are able to make that a home court advantage.

Why I hope Commerce and Lamar are successful and the Southland can recruit other successful D2 programs or possibly poach another D1 program to take the "power" away and they can piss off to be another conference whipping boy.

Comment

Regardless of the times and procedure if the school has a winning team the attendance will be there.

Even if WT was just able to make the NCAA tournament play in game (Like Corpus last year) it will still have more viewers and cash flow than winning a D2 national championship in basketball.
                            You didn't say that. Your first sentence was: "Students want to show up and be on TV." And THAT is simply not true!!

WT_TKW is 100% correct. Times have changed and no one cares about being on "tv" by being in the stands at events. FACTS.

"OH let's go to the Buffs basketball game and sit in the stands. It's gonna be televised. We might be on TV!" Yeah. Not happening. Hahaha

Comment

FYI, ACU has played basketball for the past two seasons in a converted indoor tennis facility in the city of Abilene as their arena has been undergoing major renovations.

Comment

• Originally posted by TexanFan View Post

FYI, ACU has played basketball for the past two seasons in a converted indoor tennis facility in the city of Abilene as their arena has been undergoing major renovations.
                                Hopefully ACU can use that and last year's tournament to propel the program forward. CWU had to renovate Nicholson Pavilion several years ago to host tournament games for the West region.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X