• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAC Texas Athletic Conference

What is everyone's thoughts on this?
    Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhAYZHGD5ng
    You can read about it here: https://walterwendler.com/
    Last edited by Roaming Buff; 04-18-2022, 12:45 PM.

A Texas only conference loses TV contracts and national exposure. Whereas it might be great for DII & DIII to unite into such an arrangement, it's a killer for D1's.

Comment

ASUPops I think you nailed the biggest weakness. I don't see D1s getting onboard because of that. I'm kind of wondering if anyone thinks this could have any possibility of happening.

Comment

Comment

Comment

We already have a Texas Athletic Conference. It is called UIL Football.

Beyond the money aspect, the disparity of competitive balance works against a "T.A.C."

Beyond money and competition, the disparity in individual institutions' missions works against it. Some schools are rigorous academic schools that play sports. Some schools are more interested in the mass production of students with degrees and see athletics as a way to get more students in the door. Some schools are just there because they always have been and no one has thought to close them down yet.

I appreciate outside-the-box thinking, and his willingness to get in front of the world and set out his aspirations, but I don't think this dog hunts.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                A Texas only conference loses TV contracts and national exposure. Whereas it might be great for DII & DIII to unite into such an arrangement, it's a killer for D1's.
                Yep. D1 schools would laugh that out of town.

Most competitive D2 schools aren't going to reduce down from 36 scholarships.

FCS sure as hell arent going to drastically reduce from 63 scholarships and lose their D1 standing from the other sports.

I doubt D3 would add athletic scholarships up to join.

It almost looks like he wants the between D3 and the NAIA model (NAIA teams can have a max of 24 football scholarships).

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Yep. D1 schools would laugh that out of town.

Most competitive D2 schools aren't going to reduce down from 36 scholarships.

FCS sure as hell arent going to drastically reduce from 63 scholarships and lose their D1 standing from the other sports.

I doubt D3 would add athletic scholarships up to join.

It almost looks like he wants the between D3 and the NAIA model (NAIA teams can have a max of 24 football scholarships).
                  The year that CWU lost to NWMSU by the blocked extra point GNAC was at 24 scholarships, so not sure about your second point. I agree with everything else and you should add on this would put the 3 newest LSC schools in a worse spot than when they were GNAC football with 3 teams last year along with the New Mexico schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

The year that CWU lost to NWMSU by the blocked extra point GNAC was at 24 scholarships, so not sure about your second point. I agree with everything else and you should add on this would put the 3 newest LSC schools in a worse spot than when they were GNAC football with 3 teams last year along with the New Mexico schools.
                    Nationwide conversation I agree with you 100% and your point is valid.

With Windler's explanation and just guessing his possible vision he would love to see all the Texas universities like Angelo State, Midwestern University, ACU, Commerce, etc. drop those numbers down and makes this theoretical Texas "TAC" like a IVY league or Pioneer League type of conference or perhaps the NE 10 or RMAC in D2 20 years'ish ago?. I think they were either low or no scholarship back then. I could be wrong (wouldnt be the first time).

With Tarleton and Commerce recently moving up I would think their presidents are laughing their arses off at this idea.

He is making it clear he wants a true Texas only conference slimmed down in my opinion.

I could be wrong about all these points. If Wendler makes himself available for public questions to the above I would love clarification on.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Nationwide conversation I agree with you 100% and your point is valid.

With Windler's explanation and just guessing his possible vision he would love to see all the Texas universities like Angelo State, Midwestern University, ACU, Commerce, etc. drop those numbers down and makes this theoretical Texas "TAC" like a IVY league or Pioneer League type of conference or perhaps the NE 10 or RMAC in D2 20 years'ish ago?. I think they were either low or no scholarship back then. I could be wrong (wouldnt be the first time).

With Tarleton and Commerce recently moving up I would think their presidents are laughing their arses off at this idea.

He is making it clear he wants a true Texas only conference slimmed down in my opinion.

I could be wrong about all these points. If Wendler makes himself available for public questions to the above I would love clarification on.
                      This is a terrible idea. First of all FCS schools and D2 schools would miss out on national playoffs. Secondly, there would be a financial disparity that would make certain schools permanent cellar dwellers. WT needs to send this guy to Amarillo ISD as their advisor to the Superintendent. Time has passed him by. Who cares about a Texas trophy at the Alamodome? Talk about egocentric.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

This is a terrible idea. First of all FCS schools and D2 schools would miss out on national playoffs. Secondly, there would be a financial disparity that would make certain schools permanent cellar dwellers. WT needs to send this guy to Amarillo ISD as their advisor to the Superintendent. Time has passed him by. Who cares about a Texas trophy at the Alamodome? Talk about egocentric.
                        I completely agree. The "TAC" would become the equivalent of the SIAC and get smashed in the playoffs every year by 30 points.

I doubt it goes anywhere. If there is even a remote possibility of this happening then the level of football will drop to Oklahoma Panhandle State level.

Good luck filling that new stadium on a regular basis to watch that type of product.

Comment

Originally posted by Roaming Buff View Post
                          What is everyone's thoughts on this?
                          Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhAYZHGD5ng
                          You can read about it here: https://walterwendler.com/
                          I do not like the idea.

Comment

This is YOUR President. Just saying.

So, in your opinion, what does that say about the future of WTAMU football? Does it send a message?

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

This is YOUR President. Just saying.

So, in your opinion, what does that say about the future of WTAMU football? Does it send a message?
                              Well you know what they say what opinions are like.

My opinions are strictly guesses these days as I am way out of the WT loop than what I was 10 years ago.

All I can say is hes making youtube videos b!tching about people wanting WT to go D1, transfer portals, and now this reduced scholarship idea.

He could be hinting that WT may be looking into reducing scholarships for football....BUT...It appears all the other competitive sports are fully funded.

I think this is a lot of nothing. As long as the LSC stays intact then this will be the place unless teams move up and are replaced by distant out of state schools.

If that happens then all bets are off. My guess would be GAC or RMAC admission.

One thing I will say is this post has been up 48 hours and no comments from some long time WT posters/supporters. Silence can be deafening,

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X