Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will give my opinion. I think he is doing it to justify WT not going D1. WT has the facilities, the coaches , based off the recent fundraiser they have the support and $$$. Alumni are getting disgruntled seeing our former peer Universities move up while we are scrambling to put band-aids on a failing conference for football. This is his way of trying to persuade the fan base that the "situation isn't right" but under the correct and perfect circumstances we would move up. Of course it will never be perfect and a TAC conference is beyond far-fetched but this is supposed to appease Alumni and fans keeping us content that what we have isn't so bad. You should see the rest of what he says. It's a 4 part series. I have watched them all but comments are turned off on YouTube, so we can't express what our true opinion is. His opinions are archaic and don't make sense in the modern collegiate model.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffTough View Post
      I will give my opinion. I think he is doing it to justify WT not going D1. WT has the facilities, the coaches , based off the recent fundraiser they have the support and $$$. Alumni are getting disgruntled seeing our former peer Universities move up while we are scrambling to put band-aids on a failing conference for football. This is his way of trying to persuade the fan base that the "situation isn't right" but under the correct and perfect circumstances we would move up. Of course it will never be perfect and a TAC conference is beyond far-fetched but this is supposed to appease Alumni and fans keeping us content that what we have isn't so bad. You should see the rest of what he says. It's a 4 part series. I have watched them all but comments are turned off on YouTube, so we can't express what our true opinion is. His opinions are archaic and don't make sense in the modern collegiate model.
      My opinion is if he doesn't want WT to go D1 then I get it. Not the route I would like the university to go but it is what it is. I also get why some supporters want to stay D2.

The alarming part of those videos is the reduced scholarship idea. I could be reading too much into it but that might be a passive aggressive way of hinting that WT football may not operate at the fully funded scholarship max of 36 in D2 either now or in the future.

If this is the intention then its going to be awfully difficult to compete for conference, regional, and national championships with one arm tied behind your back. I don't want to see them restricted like the D2 New Mexico schools are.

Even the RAMC relented when Pueblo joined and allowed the 36 scholarship max level.

If I seem to be talking out of my arse then I would love details that I am missing or currently not in the know with.

Comment

That is Wendler's mindset. It's analogous to his advocacy for students to attend community colleges before transferring to a 4 year college. He preaches that routinely. It doesn't help WT and neither would TAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Well you know what they say what opinions are like.

My opinions are strictly guesses these days as I am way out of the WT loop than what I was 10 years ago.

All I can say is hes making youtube videos b!tching about people wanting WT to go D1, transfer portals, and now this reduced scholarship idea.

He could be hinting that WT may be looking into reducing scholarships for football....BUT...It appears all the other competitive sports are fully funded.

I think this is a lot of nothing. As long as the LSC stays intact then this will be the place unless teams move up and are replaced by distant out of state schools.

If that happens then all bets are off. My guess would be GAC or RMAC admission.

One thing I will say is this post has been up 48 hours and no comments from some long time WT posters/supporters. Silence can be deafening,
          I hear D1 is an absolute "no" from his statements.

However, ears to the ground says too many supporters want to make the jump to D1.

But it appears as long as the powers that be stay at WTAMU, we should all expect more of the same from Buff football.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

I hear D1 is an absolute "no" from his statements.

However, ears to the ground says too many supporters want to make the jump to D1.

But it appears as long as the powers that be stay at WTAMU, we should all expect more of the same from Buff football.
            I am content for now with D2 as long as they don't chip away at athletic scholarships to the point where WT turns into Western New Mexico and becomes an easy win on the schedule for other LSC teams.

Besides if WT moves up to D1 then the LSC board ceases to exist and we won't be around to call you out on all your incorrect posts. ;)

Comment

Hey guys, Dr. Wendler will be retiring soon. My best guess is next school year will be his last. The NEXT WT prez will be the most impactful on WT's athletic future.

I expect within 5 years, probably less, the entire collegiate athletic scene will change dramatically. The P5 schools will resign from the NCAA and form their own "thing."

The remaining schools will be in a new NCAA. The old bureaucratic NCAA factotums will cease to exist as the remaining schools reformulate into new divisions. The new NCAA will be more student-athlete oriented. Concerns for million dollar coaches, deep pocket boosters, mega investments into facilities, and huge NIL deals will fall (relatively) by the wayside.

The question we will have on here is where will the Angelo States and NW Missouri's sidle up to the UTEP's and the Central Michigan's. Personally, I forecast the same 3 divisions. What those 3 divisions require in number of sports, scholarships, and facilities will determine where each school finds it's most beneficial place. If the "new" NCAA can find innovative and dynamic leadership from the Presidents........everything is on the table.

What if only 2 divisions exist? D1 and D2. Scholarship schools only. The remaining non-scholarship schools form their own association. That might be the best direction. Similar models. Tighter control. Fewer regulations and bureaucracy. Greater input from student-athletes and coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I am content for now with D2 as long as they don't chip away at athletic scholarships to the point where WT turns into Western New Mexico and becomes an easy win on the schedule for other LSC teams.

Besides if WT moves up to D1 then the LSC board ceases to exist and we won't be around to call you out on all your incorrect posts. ;)
                Hey, I've been "not exactly right" ONCE. I admit it. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                  Hey guys, Dr. Wendler will be retiring soon. My best guess is next school year will be his last. The NEXT WT prez will be the most impactful on WT's athletic future.

I expect within 5 years, probably less, the entire collegiate athletic scene will change dramatically. The P5 schools will resign from the NCAA and form their own "thing."

The remaining schools will be in a new NCAA. The old bureaucratic NCAA factotums will cease to exist as the remaining schools reformulate into new divisions. The new NCAA will be more student-athlete oriented. Concerns for million dollar coaches, deep pocket boosters, mega investments into facilities, and huge NIL deals will fall (relatively) by the wayside.

The question we will have on here is where will the Angelo States and NW Missouri's sidle up to the UTEP's and the Central Michigan's. Personally, I forecast the same 3 divisions. What those 3 divisions require in number of sports, scholarships, and facilities will determine where each school finds it's most beneficial place. If the "new" NCAA can find innovative and dynamic leadership from the Presidents........everything is on the table.

What if only 2 divisions exist? D1 and D2. Scholarship schools only. The remaining non-scholarship schools form their own association. That might be the best direction. Similar models. Tighter control. Fewer regulations and bureaucracy. Greater input from student-athletes and coaches.
                  We discussed this on the board about 8-10 years ago. And people said it would happen in 5 years. It was supposed to happen before the last network TV contracts were signed. Now some new 10 year contracts begin in 2024. So........ not seeing that change within the next 10 years.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X