Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season Tickets

I got the renewal today for season tickets for Football and Volleyball.
    We have had season tickets for a long time, with Buffalo Chip.

How important is the team record in determining if you renew??
    ???????My wife and I have decided that if there is no significant improvement, this may be our last year for Football.
    We enjoy the new stadium, however watching mediocre football is not enjoyable.
    Wt's playbook could be written on the back of a matchbook.

???????I just wonder how many of WT's fans feel the same way.
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

How important is the team record in determining if you renew?
    My wife and I have decided that if there is no significant improvement, this may be our last year for Football.

???????I just wonder how many of WT's fans feel the same way.
    I came up for several games during the Ronnie Jones era - from Houston. When Carthel came in, I increased it to several games per year, plus all 3 home playoff games. I kept that up until the last game at Kimbrough, including one of the most embarrassing losses ever, to ENMU - 0-28. Since Nesbitt's caretaker year (2013), football has sucked. Living so far away it didn't make sense to get season tickets, but I still came to games before and after Carthel.

If I lived there I might go to some games , but I wouldn't fault you for bailing, especially since you enjoy the other sports. How much are the season tickets? Do you have as much leg room as the folding seats at Kimbrough? I liked remaining seated while people walked by.

I think Hughes will get "one more year" even if my 6-5 prediction is correct. Yes we all thought he would be good, but we were wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

I came up for several games during the Ronnie Jones era - from Houston. When Carthel came in, I increased it to several games per year, plus all 3 home playoff games. I kept that up until the last game at Kimbrough, including one of the most embarrassing losses ever, to ENMU - 0-28. Since Nesbitt's caretaker year (2013), football has sucked. Living so far away it didn't make sense to get season tickets, but I still came to games before and after Carthel.

If I lived there I might go to some games, but I wouldn't fault you for bailing, especially since you enjoy the other sports. How much are the season tickets? Do you have as much leg room as the folding seats at Kimbrough? I liked remaining seated while people walked by.

I think Hughes will get "one more year" even if my 6-5 prediction is correct. Yes, we all thought he would be good, but we were wrong.
      I have two seats, club level, 45-yard line. If I remember they are $250.00 per seat. That includes a pre-game meal and a parking pass next to the stadium.
      We enjoy the stadium and being with our friends, the football needs to get better. Last year we left 2 of the games at halftime. If the weather gets bad we
      simply go to the Club and watch the game on one of the big screens.

Yes, I thought Hughes was going to bring football to the same level as the other Major sports at Wt. He has not. It is unacceptable to have the most visible sport the
      least successful. I understand that success is in Women's sports. Wt has been a special place for Women's sports for a long time. The football team needs
      to make the playoffs, even if it's one and done.

Comment

I have two seats, club level, 45-yard line. If I remember they are $250.00 per seat. That includes a pre-game meal and a parking pass next to the stadium.
        We enjoy the stadium and being with our friends, the football needs to get better. Last year we left 2 of the games at halftime. If the weather gets bad we
        simply go to the Club and watch the game on one of the big screens.

Yes, I thought Hughes was going to bring football to the same level as the other Major sports at Wt. He has not. It is unacceptable to have the most visible sport the
        least successful. I understand that success is in Women's sports. Wt has been a special place for Women's sports for a long time. The football team needs
        to make the playoffs, even if it's one and done.
        I don't have season tickets but went to all the games when I lived there.

It's like you could feel the wind taken out of the sails when Carthel was fired and 2013 would be the last great year.

I had high expectations of Hughes but in reality he couldn't get close to the talent that Carthel could get and he got caught trying to build from scratch the 4 year program way but got caught with the evolving transfer portal game and didnt adjust....yet?

I moved from the area in 2014 but its night and day for me. Now I can only find 2 or 3 people tops up there outside this board that have any interest in WT football and not being able to sell out a smaller brand new state of the art on campus stadium consistently should be a bright red flag as well.

I agree. Its playoffs or bust. No offense to Angelo State or Central Washington but they are no Tarleton or Commerce. These are teams WT should beat consistently by now without losses to below average D2 programs (Western Oregon).

If more alums and donors take that stance and not renew that should be a signal to the athletic department to make a change.

Comment

Commerce has added a $250 surcharge on top of the $250 cost for each season ticket. No perks, no upgrades announced, and no possibility of post season for at least 4 more years - and likely far longer than that. On top of the cost increase, 2 of the home games are against Lincoln and North American. What a damn joke. So I let my seats go for the first time in many years. Checking today I see that all chairback season seats are already sold out - probably most to sponsoring businesses and will be empty most games. The last few seasons I had nearly the entire row I was in to myself because they were sold to sponsors and not fans. Im retiring in another year or two anyway and I now live an hour from campus instead of 10 minutes away, so I guess Ive seen my last game in Memorial Stadium - my first one was in 2000.

And with the mess the Softball program seems to be in I suppose I will let those seats go too.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I don't have season tickets but went to all the games when I lived there.

It's like you could feel the wind taken out of the sails when Carthel was fired and 2013 would be the last great year.

I had high expectations of Hughes but in reality he couldn't get close to the talent that Carthel could get and he got caught trying to build from scratch the 4 year program way but got caught with the evolving transfer portal game and didnt adjust....yet?

I moved from the area in 2014 but its night and day for me. Now I can only find 2 or 3 people tops up there outside this board that have any interest in WT football and not being able to sell out a smaller brand new state of the art on campus stadium consistently should be a bright red flag as well.

I agree. Its playoffs or bust. No offense to Angelo State or Central Washington but they are no Tarleton or Commerce. These are teams WT should beat consistently by now without losses to below average D2 programs (Western Oregon).

If more alums and donors take that stance and not renew that should be a signal to the athletic department to make a change.
            IMHO, I think the standard for Football success is different. Everyone WANTS to win. There is minimal WILL to win.

When Carthel was here football had problems with GPA and graduation rates. Hughes has consistently recruited players with high personal integrity and excellent classroom skills.
            It's hard to fault that. That is why the players are in school. Football is just a means to an end. Other schools have good GPAs with a good graduation rate and winning teams.
            Wt should be able to do the same.
            Last edited by Great White Buffalo; 06-24-2022, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
              Commerce has added a $250 surcharge on top of the $250 cost for each season ticket. No perks, no upgrades announced, and no possibility of post season for at least 4 more years - and likely far longer than that. On top of the cost increase, 2 of the home games are against Lincoln and North American. What a damn joke. So I let my seats go for the first time in many years. Checking today I see that all chairback season seats are already sold out - probably most to sponsoring businesses and will be empty most games. The last few seasons I had nearly the entire row I was in to myself because they were sold to sponsors and not fans. Im retiring in another year or two anyway and I now live an hour from campus instead of 10 minutes away, so I guess Ive seen my last game in Memorial Stadium - my first one was in 2000.

And with the mess the Softball program seems to be in I suppose I will let those seats go too.
              This post is why I will not support a move to D1 for Wt.
              TAMUC no longer has any team that can win the last game. Wt has several sports in which that is possible.
              Is the increased cost going to make teams on the field/court any better?? Probably not.

Wt's teams are currently max funded at the D2 level. We are also competitive at the regional and national levels.
              If it's not broke - don't fix it.

Comment

IMHO, I think the standard for Football success is different. Everyone WANTS to win. There is minimal WILL to win.

When Carthel was here football had problems with GPA and graduation rates. Hughes has consistently recruited players with high personal integrity and excellent classroom class skills.
                It's hard to fault that. That is why the players are in school. Football is just a means to an end. Other schools have good GPAs with a good graduation rate and winning teams.
                Wt should be able to do the same.
                GPA and graduation rates as noted above is an understatement. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I believe our AD told me team GPA's have gone from Carthel era about 1.8 to Hughes era about 2.8, even the occasional 3.0 semester. Graduation rates, as counted under NCAA rules, have increased from the mid-20's to about 70%. If academic criteria alone were the measure for coaching success, Hughes would be COTY damn near every year.

As a fan, I'd take a 2.25 team GPA and a NCAA berth every year.

It's interesting that all our other sports win big and ALSO have good to great team GPA's.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

GPA and graduation rates as noted above is an understatement. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I believe our AD told me team GPA's have gone from Carthel era about 1.8 to Hughes era about 2.8, even the occasional 3.0 semester. Graduation rates, as counted under NCAA rules, have increased from the mid-20's to about 70%. If academic criteria alone were the measure for coaching success, Hughes would be COTY damn near every year.

As a fan, I'd take a 2.25 team GPA and a NCAA berth every year.

It's interesting that all our other sports win big and ALSO have good to great team GPA's.
                  To be honest I think graduation rates will be more of a moot point now. The best players will enter the transfer portal for D1 glory especially when WT advances to the basketball Elite 8 and if they start making the playoffs again in football.

Unfortunately fans aren't interested in a team full of honor roles athletes to post 6-5 records.

As a supporter of Texas A&M Corpus Christi Athletics as well we ran into that issue in basketball. we had 2 coaches from 2004-2015'ish that went for the NCAA berths. Downside of it was bad grades and academic probation. A new coach was brought in from Rice that understood that model. The GPA improved but quality of basketball plummeted. He "resigned" last year and the new coach used the transfer portal to add 10 kids and dump the previous roster. The talent dramatically increased and they made the play in game. Time will tell if GPA follow suit.

Basically if WT wants to win they are going to have to sacrifice GPA for talent especially at the skill positions.

Comment

The whole concept behind Season Tickets was to secure your seat because back in the day, many of our stadiums would maybe not sell out all the time. But they did a few times and many times got close to which means you would risk getting seats at the goal line in the upper corner of the stadium if you were a GA ticket holder. Now? Not so much anymore. And the schools can only blame themselves thanks to streaming. And this is despite W/L record. I can go to a game and get there fifteen minutes before kickoff and pretty much have my choice of seats.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

Scheduling weak teams has become a standard part of "moving on up". While no fan wants their team to go winless, it is pretty lame to schedule doormats to keep the record respectable.

The good news is, most if not all your games will be on some version of ESPN.

Comment

How important is the team record in determining if you renew??
                        My wife and I have decided that if there is no significant improvement, this may be our last year for Football.

I just wonder how many of WT's fans feel the same way.
                        Unlike GWB, I will continue to buy season tickets regardless of football's success or failure. With my paralysis, I missed the 2019 and 2020 seasons in person, but I watched all the games steaming. I attended 3 games last year in person despite a lot of physical difficulty. This year......easy peasy, as I'm getting around great in my wheelchair van. It's not out of the realm of possibility for me to soon be driving the van myself without hand controls. We'll see.

I hope Hughes can coax a 9-2 season. College football today must be a real challenge for coaches. Roster churn and the portal are impediments to building teams.

If WT misses an NCAA berth this year, year 6 of the Hughes era, it'll be time for a change.

Comment

Unlike GWB, I will continue to buy season tickets regardless of football's success or failure. With my paralysis, I missed the 2019 and 2020 seasons in person, but I watched all the games steaming. I attended 3 games last year in person despite a lot of physical difficulty. This year......easy peasy, as I'm getting around great in my wheelchair van. It's not out of the realm of possibility for me to soon be driving the van myself without hand controls. We'll see.

I hope Hughes can coax a 9-2 season. College football today must be a real challenge for coaches. Roster churn and the portal are impediments to building teams.

If WT misses an NCAA berth this year, year 6 of the Hughes era, it'll be time for a change.
                          I'm glad to hear you are getting around better.

I have watched all the games on line as well, with the exception of the NAIA games, and the ones that were on while I was traveling internationally.

It was time for a change last year.

Comment

As a fan, I'd take a 1.8 team GPA and a NCAA berth every year.

FIXED IT FOR YA!!

Comment

Unlike GWB, I will continue to buy season tickets regardless of football's success or failure. With my paralysis, I missed the 2019 and 2020 seasons in person, but I watched all the games steaming. I attended 3 games last year in person despite a lot of physical difficulties. This year......easy peasy, as I'm getting around great in my wheelchair van. It's not out of the realm of possibility for me to soon be driving the van myself without hand controls. We'll see.

I hope Hughes can coax a 9-2 season. for coaches. College football today must be a real challenge Roster churn and the portal are impediments to building teams.

Sure it is, because of the number of players. Is it any more difficult than Softball, Baseball, or Track?? Probably not.
                              Those teams at Wt are competitive at the regional/national level. Football should be also.

Another thing that concerns me about football. I am not sure how deep the "team" goes.
                              It is clear that the MBB team have got each other's back. I'm just not seeing that in football.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X