Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

There is truth to this. Especially in graduate school did I have to put up with a bunch of jerks.

However, while at WT I had many great professors. For every dud, I had 6-7 very good ones. The class sizes at WT, usually under 35 after the freshman year, made a big difference. I will admit the math department had a lower percentage of good teachers, but I did have 2 excellent ones. Neither had a PhD, but they knew how to teach. One of them is still there, and has been since 1967.One of my young friends had him a few years ago, and she really liked him. The other one advised us to "make it easy on yourself" to solve problems, so unless we were specifically told what method to use, pick the easiest way. What a concept! It sounds obvious, but it changed my way of approaching math.

During the pandemic, I got bored so I decided to learn or relearn some more chemistry. I thought I might like organic chemistry more than I did when I was 19, but no, I still hate it. However the same youtube guy also does videos on calculus and physics, so I watched some. He's a really good teacher; you can read in the comments how grateful students are for his videos. I don't ever remember this method of integration by parts but it is SO much easier (when it is applicable).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyic5aaXGaw
    I bolded my favorite part about college compared to High School, that and groups working together was encouraged instead of working alone. One of my better math teachers changed my seat so that I was with struggling students for that very reason and one day he said "I hate to admit this, but physics students do better in math classes because math students are there to learn the material and physics students are there to use it." Learning something to use it, something college also teaches better.

BTW, the students I was moved to had their grades improve... even if I skipped about a quarter of the class as I already knew the material and it was a required low level logic course for all majors. I also saw Kitna give a talk while he was a Cowboy at my church in Ellensburg and he mentioned that professor in it.

Comment

I've done a lot of work for physicians. Their egos are the worst of all. Much worse than attorneys.

I went to a physician client's office one day. Big new building. I said, "Doc! I'm saving my money!" He gets this big grin and said, "You're saving your money. What are you saving your money for?"

I said, "So I can buy this building when the IRS seizes it and sells it for tax fraud."

About three months later the above transaction happened again. He is no longer a client. I have all of his old files in storage far, far away as their is no statute of limitations for tax fraud.

I've also worked for physicians that towed the line. They got it.

I no longer take on physicians.

Physician client told me one time that they didn't teach them anything about finances in med school. He also told me in med school he was taught two things. 1. You will get sued. 2. You will get audited.

Physicians make so much damn money they think rules don't apply to them because they have enough money to buy them out of any trouble they get into. They also think they are high-profile enough that they are exempt from many forms of punishment, e.g., DUI's, etc. In many communities that is true.

Comment

Originally posted by OPSUALUM77&81 View Post

I've done a lot of work for physicians. Their egos are the worst of all. Much worse than attorneys.

I went to a physician client's office one day. Big new building. I said, "Doc! I'm saving my money!" He gets this big grin and said, "You're saving your money. What are you saving your money for?"

I said, "So I can buy this building when the IRS seizes it and sells it for tax fraud."

About three months later the above transaction happened again. He is no longer a client. I have all of his old files in storage far, far away as their is no statute of limitations for tax fraud.

Physician client told me one time that they didn't teach them anything about finances in med school. He also told me in med school he was taught two things. 1. You will get sued. 2. You will get audited.

Physicians make so much damn money they think rules don't apply to them because they have enough money to buy them out of any trouble they get into. They also think they are high-profile enough that they are exempt from many forms of punishment, e.g., DUI's, etc. In many communities that is true.

Professional athletes also believe this and usually also believe the money will never stop coming.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by OPSUALUM77&81 View Post

Hmmmmmmm.

Comment

aggy-Commerce is going to visit Austin in December for a little basketball..

https://texassports.com/sports/mens-...hedule/2022-23

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Good to see some money games beginning to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

Good to see some money games beginning to happen.
                  More coming soon, particularly football, they're just waiting for ink on contracts

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Playing at A&M Thanksgiving weekend too

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X