Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 WT Football

WT has posted it's 2022 FB roster. 43 Freshmen, 22 Redshirt Freshmen, 29 Sophomores, 12 Juniors, and 8 Seniors. That's a large RS Freshmen, and Sophomore class. Retention is definitely up. I haven't dug into the roster yet, but I did notice that DL depth finally seems to be taken care of. Quite a few true freshmen DL's in the 6'3 230 range. I hear they really went after DL's with some speed on the edge. Also some beef in the middle of the DL. I hope it pays off and we get a lot more pressure than last year.

21 OL's. You can never have too many. A few holes to fill in the line.

Only 4 QB's. Senior and 3 year starter Gerber is back and as well as backup Arreola. It looks to me that the RSF Culwell kid, 6'3 195, from Canadian is the heir apparent. He's got a good arm, mobile, and most important, I hear he's what you call a "winner." Great leadership skills. Maybe we get to see some reps from him this season if the Buffs have a runaway game or two.

It won't be long. 7 weeks from this past Sat......kickoff!
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 07-18-2022, 05:26 PM.

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    WT has posted it's 2022 FB roster. 43 Freshmen, 22 Redshirt Freshmen, 29 Sophomores, 12 Juniors, and 8 Seniors. That's a large RS Freshmen, and Sophomore class. Retention is definitely up. I haven't dug into the roster yet, but I did notice that DL depth finally seems to be taken care of. Quite a few true freshmen DL's in the 6'3 230 range. I hear they really went after DL's with some speed on the edge. Also some beef in the middle of the DL. I hope it pays off and we get a lot more pressure than last year.

Only 4 QB's. Senior and 3 year starter Gerber is back and as well as backup Arreola. It looks to me that the RSF Culwell kid, 6'3 195, from Canadian is the heir apparent. He's got a good arm, mobile, and most important, I hear he's what you call a "winner." Great leadership skills. Maybe we get to see some reps from him this season if the Buffs have a runaway game or two.

It won't be long. 7 weeks from this past Sat......kickoff!
    Remember how good Gerber used to be? The OC has ruined him. Up the middle until they are far behind, then Gerber has to throw (unsuccessfully) on every down. Yuk.

Yeah, in a month there will be articles about the great OL that transferred from D1 and a bunch of other "winners", but they won't be.

6-5

Comment

6-5? I hope you're wrong. I expect 7-4 at the least, but I think we can wring out a 9-2 regular season. Will that win the LSC? Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
        6-5? I hope you're wrong. I expect 7-4 at the least, but I think we can wring out a 9-2 regular season. Will that win the LSC? Maybe.
        I hope I am wrong too.

Comment

Anything less than 8-3 should show Hughes the door. Commerce and Tarleton are no longer around to use as an excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
            Anything less than 8-3 should show Hughes the door. Commerce and Tarleton are no longer around to use as an excuse.
            Anything less than a play-off spot should show Highes the door. It's time for Football to join the rest of the sports.
            The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

Anything less than a play-off spot should show Highes the door. It's time for Football to join the rest of the sports.
              I agree with this. I think he has had plenty of time to "right the ship". I really like what he is trying to do but I don't know if it is possible anymore for a D2 School. Trying to develop and build talent over time and then put a competitive team on the field is almost impossible for a D2 school now. The problem is our retention numbers are not very high plus now with the transfer portal our best players leave at the end of the season. How many athletes did we lose this year to the transfer portal? I know of two major ones for sure. Parker Hannah and Tobias Harris. Arguably our best player on offense and defense. I am happy they got their shot at the next level but it kind of sucks for the school they leave behind who spent years developing them. Same thing is happening in basketball now as well. WT should have been a lock last year for the final four if not the championship game in basketball. Almost the entire team from the year before was returning and then 4 starters from the team left for the transfer portal. Again, no knock on the athletes...I understand their desire to go to the next level but it really hurts the program they leave behind. I just don't think Hughes is a strong enough recruiter to get us to the next level and our offense sucks each and every year. I mean give Gerber a chance. Let us air out the ball before we are down 3 touchdowns.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffTough View Post

I agree with this. I think he has had plenty of time to "right the ship". I really like what he is trying to do but I don't know if it is possible anymore for a D2 School. Trying to develop and build talent over time and then put a competitive team on the field is almost impossible for a D2 school now. The problem is our retention numbers are not very high plus now with the transfer portal our best players leave at the end of the season. How many athletes did we lose this year to the transfer portal? I know of two major ones for sure. Parker Hannah and Tobias Harris. Arguably our best player on offense and defense. I am happy they got their shot at the next level but it kind of sucks for the school they leave behind who spent years developing them. Same thing is happening in basketball now as well. WT should have been a lock last year for the final four if not the championship game in basketball. Almost the entire team from the year before was returning and then 4 starters from the team left for the transfer portal. Again, no knock on the athletes...I understand their desire to go to the next level but it really hurts the program they leave behind. I just don't think Hughes is a strong enough recruiter to get us to the next level and our offense sucks each and every year. I mean give Gerber a chance. Let us air out the ball before we are down 3 touchdowns.
                You are right about giving Gerber a chance, but evidently our current OC found some old Gene Mayfield playbooks and plans on using them from here on out. Obviously Hughes could change that but I think in his mind he's still the DC, and he's not getting that job done either.

While your points are valid about transfers, other teams seem to be able to recruit and retain top quality players. NMSU is always a top 10. Grand Valley used to be but now they seem happy to be win the Whatchamacallit award and forgot about winning football championships.

Hughes should have been canned and left town after the last game last year. Even if they do go 6-5 this year, I expect he will still be here.

Comment

WT will go 10-1 with a loss to Midwestern and they could win that one also.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post
                    WT will go 10-1 with a loss to Midwestern and they could win that one also.
                    Why not take it even further and say they will be National Champions? It would not be much more absurd.

Comment

One week till the season starts, but division 1 has started if you need a football fix. I expect a CWU loss on Thursday, but then it is a non double round robin season! Would love to see the Buffs up to the level they were with Keith Null.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
                          And that goes totally against their plan to stay D2. Yeah, you can call me cynical. Lol
                          I really don't understand why Wt would be better at D1. I had a conversation with an incoming freshman in another sport, not football. This individual was a member of the All-State team in their sport. They were recruited by D1 schools that Wt would compete against if they were D1. I ask why they chose Wt. Their reply was, "I want to hang banners and wear rings." D1 is not a fit for Wt. The only reason fans think it's a fit now is that Wt was D1 previously. There is not a single sport in which Wt could win a National Title in D1. I for one, prefer to "Hang banners and wear rings."
                          The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Why not take it even further and say they will be National Champions? It would not be much more absurd.
                            AF's prediction is closer than yours.

I think you are out of touch, as are many other old WT fans.

When the Buffs start winning, PLEASE all you doubters, PLEASE don't start talking about how great YOUR team is. If so, I will certainly call you ALL out!

And if they suck as bad as all are saying, you can certainly call me out.

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

I really don't understand why Wt would be better at D1. I had a conversation with an incoming freshman in another sport, not football. This individual was a member of the All-State team in their sport. They were recruited by D1 schools that Wt would compete against if they were D1. I ask why they chose Wt. Their reply was, "I want to hang banners and wear rings." D1 is not a fit for Wt. The only reason fans think it's a fit now is that Wt was D1 previously. There is not a single sport in which Wt could win a National Title in D1. I for one, prefer to "Hang banners and wear rings."
                              LMFAO....An 18 year old incoming freshman student athlete said this??? You QUOTED EXACT words???

Nah! I don't this at all. PURE Buffalo SH!T!!

Sell it to the Navy!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X