Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

What about Nolan Ryan? I feel his 7 no-hitters will never be beat.

Speaking of losing in a masterful game, I once saw Chris Bosio pitch into the 7th with a no-hitter and was trailing. Walk and error scored a run and Mariners couldn't score.
    Nolan Ryan was great but no Sandy Koufax. He had a lot of walks and never won a Cy Young.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

What about Nolan Ryan? I feel his 7 no-hitters will never be beat.

Speaking of losing in a masterful game, I once saw Chris Bosio pitch into the 7th with a no-hitter and was trailing. Walk and error scored a run and Mariners couldn't score.
      Records are made to be beat. It will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Nolan Ryan was great but no Sandy Koufax. He had a lot of walks and never won a Cy Young.
        While Nolan was good and had some counting stats due to longevity, he was an ERA+ of 112, which means he was 12% better than average. Good, bot nowhere near Gibson, Koufax, and others. That figure ties him for 304th all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

While Nolan was good and had some counting stats due to longevity, he was an ERA+ of 112, which means he was 12% better than average. Good, bot nowhere near Gibson, Koufax, and others. That figure ties him for 304th all time.
          He beat the s**t out of Robin Ventura. That make him the GOAT of the Rangers

Comment

The BEST modern day pitcher (from 80's to current) is Randy Johnson. No question about it.

The BEST of all time is Christy Mathewson (pitcher for the NY Giants).

Koufax is absolutely a top 10 of all times. That '55 Brooklyn Dodger team was one of the best ever.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post

Oh yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post

And yesterday (August 4th) was the 29th anniversary of that glorious ass whooping. It should be State holiday!

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

Nolan also played on some mediocre to crappy teams... True the Mets, Angels, Astros, and Rangers had some decent seasons during his carrier. The Astros in the mid 80 to late 80's were probably the best of his playing days

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

The BEST modern day pitcher (from 80's to current) is Randy Johnson. No question about it.

The BEST of all time is Christy Mathewson (pitcher for the NY Giants).

Koufax is absolutely a top 10 of all times. That '55 Brooklyn Dodger team was one of the best ever.
                    I got to see Randy pitch once in the Kingdome. Just like for King Felix who has the last perfect game, he didn't get any run support. Randy threw the first ever no-hitter for the Mariners before he learned to control his fastball.

Comment

I saw Nolan Ryan throw a 1-hitter in the Kingdome vs. the Mariners. We missed the first batter -- Harold Reynolds -- who singled. He was mowing everyone down after that, outfielders getting bored, sometimes they would move to the dugout after 2 outs, thinking it was 3. It was a clinic, he made some unreal hitters -- Edgar Martinez, A-Rod, Griffey, etc. -- look foolish. Right when they thought they were ready to crush his heater, he'd throw a slow curve and they'd be way ahead of it. It was remarkable, glad I got to see it.

My friend saw Nolan's last game ever in the dome, where he threw out his arm (some people said they even heard something pop).

Nolan had something like 6 no hitters and here's what's remarkable: 63 games where he allowed 3 runs or less. He also had 20+ 1-hitters.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                        I saw Nolan Ryan throw a 1-hitter in the Kingdome vs. the Mariners. We missed the first batter -- Harold Reynolds -- who singled. He was mowing everyone down after that, outfielders getting bored, sometimes they would move to the dugout after 2 outs, thinking it was 3. It was a clinic, he made some unreal hitters -- Edgar Martinez, A-Rod, Griffey, etc. -- look foolish. Right when they thought they were ready to crush his heater, he'd throw a slow curve and they'd be way ahead of it. It was remarkable, glad I got to see it.

My friend saw Nolan's last game ever in the dome, where he threw out his arm (some people said they even heard something pop).

Nolan had something like 6 no hitters and here's what's remarkable: 63 games where he allowed 3 runs or less. He also had 20+ 1-hitters.

Comment

Exactly. I was a Yankee fan growing up. Yankees, Yankees, Yankees!!! However, watching Koufax pitch a game was mesmerizing. Fastball, curve, slider, off speed, fastball. On the corners. Up and tight. Down and low. Just a great pitcher who set up batters with a fastball always under control. His fastball had movement. A lot of movement. Movement he controlled.

The best pitcher I ever watched.

Comment

This has what to do with LSC Media Day? Another Diabetes thread. Oh Joy! Are there no Moderators at all?

Comment

Originally posted by frutedog View Post
                              This has what to do with LSC Media Day? Another Diabetes thread. Oh Joy! Are there no Moderators at all?
                              *shrug* It's the offseason still.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Records are made to be beat. It will happen.
                                Not a chance, he has two that will never be broken - 7no-no's and 5,714 K's.
                                The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X