Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsull View Post
    I saw Nolan Ryan throw a 1-hitter in the Kingdome vs. the Mariners. We missed the first batter -- Harold Reynolds -- who singled. He was mowing everyone down after that, outfielders getting bored, sometimes they would move to the dugout after 2 outs, thinking it was 3. It was a clinic, he made some unreal hitters -- Edgar Martinez, A-Rod, Griffey, etc. -- look foolish. Right when they thought they were ready to crush his heater, he'd throw a slow curve and they'd be way ahead of it. It was remarkable, glad I got to see it.

My friend saw Nolan's last game ever in the dome, where he threw out his arm (some people said they even heard something pop).

Nolan had something like 6 no hitters and here's what's remarkable: 63 games where he allowed 3 runs or less. He also had 20+ 1-hitters.
    I was in the Astrodome the Sunday afternoon Nolan threw his 5th no-hitter. It was the most dominant performance I have ever seen by an athlete. The Dodgers had no chance.
    I saved my ticket, several years later when Wt restarted the Baseball program Nolan spoke at a fundraiser and I got his signature on the ticket. He also signed a picture and a baseball.
    If he's not the GOAT, he is in the conversation. The lowest batting average against carries a lot of weight - IMHO
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

Not a chance, he has two that will never be broken - 7no-no's and 5,714 K's.
      Agreed. Starting pitchers these days are yanked after 6 innings and 100 pitches.

Cy Young's win record is the record that will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Nolan also played on some mediocre to crappy teams... True the Mets, Angels, Astros, and Rangers had some decent seasons during his carrier. The Astros in the mid 80 to late 80's were probably the best of his playing days
        If the Astros had a decent to shut down closer in 1980 and 1986 they would have been in both world series.

Comment

Originally posted by frutedog View Post
          This has what to do with LSC Media Day? Another Diabetes thread. Oh Joy! Are there no Moderators at all?
          Yeah we don't have a rich history of WAC football to talk about than the hundreds of Tarleton fans do on the D1 boards...

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
            I saw Nolan Ryan throw a 1-hitter in the Kingdome vs. the Mariners. We missed the first batter -- Harold Reynolds -- who singled. He was mowing everyone down after that, outfielders getting bored, sometimes they would move to the dugout after 2 outs, thinking it was 3. It was a clinic, he made some unreal hitters -- Edgar Martinez, A-Rod, Griffey, etc. -- look foolish. Right when they thought they were ready to crush his heater, he'd throw a slow curve and they'd be way ahead of it. It was remarkable, glad I got to see it.

My friend saw Nolan's last game ever in the dome, where he threw out his arm (some people said they even heard something pop).

Nolan had something like 6 no hitters and here's what's remarkable: 63 games where he allowed 3 runs or less. He also had 20+ 1-hitters.
            He sure was something else.

Comment

Nolan also played on some mediocre to crappy teams... True the Mets, Angels, Astros, and Rangers had some decent seasons during his carrier. The Astros in the mid 80 to late 80's were probably the best of his playing days
              Ummmm....he was on the '69 Amazing Mets!!

Comment

Originally posted by frutedog View Post
                This has what to do with LSC Media Day? Another Diabetes thread. Oh Joy! Are there no Moderators at all?
                Bye Felicia!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

Not a chance, he has two that will never be broken - 7no-no's and 5,714 K's.
                  Records are ALWAYS broken!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

No way. Pitchers don't go beyond five innings now, how is that strikeout record going to be broken or the no-hitter record? If records are always broken why is DiMaggio's still holding up? Your response is too easy.

Comment

Allow me to amend - Not in my lifetime.
                      The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

I did say the teams he played had SOME decent seasons and this would qualify as one of them.

Amazing though from that point forward he never played in a World Series. Kind of like Walter Payton who had an amazing carrier and one of the greatest RB of all time and only got to one Super Bowl. Except Nolan's experience was at the very front end of his carrier and pitching an inning or two in relief . While Payton's was the tail end.

Comment

Yeah but he was just in a supporting bullpen role. Seaver and Koosman were the studs back then.

Comment

I did say the teams he played had SOME decent seasons and this would qualify as one of them.

Amazing though from that point forward he never played in a World Series. Kind of like Walter Payton who had an amazing carrier and one of the greatest RB of all time and only got to one Super Bowl. Except Nolan's experience was at the very front end of his carrier and pitching an inning or two in relief . While Payton's was the tail end.
                            Two postseason games stuck out to me.

Choking game 5 of the 1980 NLCS with the Phillies taking a 5-2 lead in the 8th inning. Was there as a 7 year old watching the NLCS and hoping to see the Houston - Texas A&M football game. They moved the football game to midnight and didn't get to see it in person.

Going 9 innings and striking out 12 in game 5 NLCS against the Mets that they lost in extra innings.

Comment

If you guys are going to talk about MLB for weeks, why not open a new thread?

Comment

Yes both had amazing careers.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X