Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I agree as well. You would think that a new smaller stadium on campus would have zero issues filling up to capacity. The gripe was always that students didn't want to drive out to Kimbrough.

High school games are rarely played out there on Saturday afternoon/nights which is where the comment is coming from on Kimbrough looking dead.
    That gripe was generated by the AD, not the students. I asked everyone within earshot if they had a desire for a new stadium. No one did. That was over the course of several years at football and softball games.

Now students have to move their cars on game day whether they go to games or not.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

That gripe was generated by the AD, not the students. I asked everyone within earshot if they had a desire for a new stadium. No one did. That was over the course of several years at football and softball games.

Now students have to move their cars on game day whether they go to games or not.
      When you can have a new stadium for less than remodel of the old one, why wouldn't you build a new one?
      The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

When you can have a new stadium for less than remodel of the old one, why wouldn't you build a new one?
        It's been remodeled for less.

Comment

WT_TKW: It's been remodeled for less.

Lipstick on a pig. You get what you pay for. CISD tore down the south hill, added a fancy fieldhouse and new lights. If WT had not decided to build a new stadium on campus, CISD would not have floated a bond issue to do what it did. The majority of fans that have been to a game at the new stadium don't miss Kimbrough. Oh there are a few folks still mad about Carthel's firing that hold a grudge and use the stadium as an excuse to gripe. But Carthel is gone and not coming back. So get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by oldbuff View Post
            [/B]

Lipstick on a pig. You get what you pay for. CISD tore down the south hill, added a fancy fieldhouse and new lights. If WT had not decided to build a new stadium on campus, CISD would not have floated a bond issue to do what it did. The majority of fans that have been to a game at the new stadium don't miss Kimbrough. Oh there are a few folks still mad about Carthel's firing that hold a grudge and use the stadium as an excuse to gripe. But Carthel is gone and not coming back. So get over it.
            Speaking of Carthel, he was in town this weekend for the WT Hall of Champions ceremony. I had a very nice chat with Don and wife Cindy (SFA's open this weekend). They were there to witness former Buff, Eugene Sims' induction into the Hall of Champions. Sims, for recall, was a 2 year transfer player for WT, twice LSC DL of the year. Drafted in the 5th round by the Rams, Sims played 7 years with the Rams, making 20 starts in his career. The hit of the show was Sims' 2 year old girl taking center stage with him. She wouldn't let Daddy alone. Ha!

It was also great to have a long visit with honoree Rita Hokianga. Rita was 4-0 pitching in the 2014 D2 College World Series, WT's 1st softball championship. She resides in her New Zealand homeland with her husband, 2 children and a 3rd on the way. She looked great!

It was a wonderful event!

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I agree as well. You would think that a new smaller stadium on campus would have zero issues filling up to capacity. The gripe was always that students didn't want to drive out to Kimbrough.

High school games are rarely played out there on Saturday afternoon/nights which is where the comment is coming from on Kimbrough looking dead.
              I'm watching Penn St at Auburn. Thousands of empty seats. Ol Miss at Georgia Tech. Same, BYU at Or looks like a full house. OU at Neb was a sellout. Kansas at Houston thousands of empty seats. Cool at Minn looks pretty full. Teen Martin at Boise some empty seats.

Other than at Nebraska, Oregon, and Minnesota, there were thousands of empty seats at the other games. I think we need to face it..... attendance at college football is down at all levels.

At WT, I can remember when the local TV stations did interviews with coaches and players during the week, teasing an upcoming game. No more. I remember when the Amarillo newspaper did the same with stories during the week about the team, players, and upcoming opponent. No more. Local sports coverage has pretty much become a thing of the past. What sports manpower the local TV and newspapers manage is geared toward high school coverage.

WT sends out it's digital, but if you're not on the list you den't get any heads ups about upcoming games from other sources till maybe game day. So, today, how do you reach the general public and interest them in an upcoming FB game?

One thing I might try is direct mail. What would a direct mail piece sent throughout the Panhandle cost? Probably about $100,000 to cover the entire Panhandle. That may not be cost effective. However, a lesser targeted direct mail might make sense. Do a BOGO coupon with the direct mail piece where redemptions are tracked. It could be a marketing piece that could be used for multiple games, even the entire season. Basic marketing. Might be with a try. Split the marketing cost with a partner.....TootnTotum, PakaSak, Allsups, United, Walmart, McDonald's. Wendy's.Ford or GM dealers, etc. Time to think outside the box.

Comment

Wt 0 Kingsville 10 in the 1st quarter…

Comment

The offense needs to get going. We've been very fortunate so far, and need to take full advantage.
                  Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Lucky we are in the game. Tied at 10, half time. Out of 30 minutes Wt played about 2:30 of the half.

Comment

Lucky we are in the game. Tied at 10, half time. Out of 30 minutes Wt played about 2:30 of the half.
                      Very good synopsis

Comment

I have never been to a game as poorly called as this one. The refs are just awful.

Comment

Anyone know the radio station that is playing this game? I'm in California...and I'm tired of watching stats.

Comment

Game just ended. Pigs win 31-24. Forced 6 turnovers.

Comment

Thanks, texcap.

Jalisco! Go Hogs, go!

Comment

Wt was out played - out worked - out coached. Congrats to the Jav's.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X