Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Shirt

If a player is going to take a red-shirt year, for a non-injury reason. Will that need to be declared before the start of the season??
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

It can be taken later in the season as long as they have not competed in a game/match/meet against another team.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
      It can be taken later in the season as long as they have not competed in a game/match/meet against another team.
      That's D1 FBS & FCS. I do not believe the 4 game rule applies in DII.

"Division II student-athletes have 10 semesters or 15 quarters of full-time enrollment in order to participate as a student-athlete. Of these 10 semesters or 15 quarters, a student-athlete only has four years of athletics eligibility (seasons of competition) in which he or she can participate against outside competition. Because of this, there is an extra year of time, and many student-athletes choose to use this extra time as a "redshirt" year in which they practice with their team but do not compete against other teams in competition."

Of course, "medical redshirt" is a different situation.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

"Division II student-athletes have 10 semesters or 15 quarters of full-time enrollment in order to participate as a student-athlete. Of these 10 semesters or 15 quarters, a student-athlete only has four years of athletics eligibility (seasons of competition) in which he or she can participate against outside competition. Because of this, there is an extra year of time, and many student-athletes choose to use this extra time as a "redshirt" year in which they practice with their team but do not compete against other teams in the competition."

If I understand correctly, the athlete could take a medical red-shirt and a non-medical one also. Playing in four of six years, correct??

Comment

"Division II student-athletes have 10 semesters or 15 quarters of full-time enrollment in order to participate as a student-athlete. Of these 10 semesters or 15 quarters, a student-athlete only has four years of athletics eligibility (seasons of competition) in which he or she can participate against outside competition. Because of this, there is an extra year of time, and many student-athletes choose to use this extra time as a "redshirt" year in which they practice with their team but do not compete against other teams in competition."

The 4 game rule for D1 applies to how many games they actually play in. It doesn’t apply in D2 but if the athlete has not appeared in any games they can designate it as a red shirt season at any time. If they are on the field for even one play during a game they lose that option. D1 players can appear in up to 4 games and still designate it as a non medical red shirt season.

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

If I understand correctly, the athlete could take a medical red-shirt and a non-medical one also. Playing in four of six years, correct??
            Basically D2 athletes have 5 years to complete 4 seasons so one red shirt season is all. Beyond that they can apply for a waiver from the ncaa for an extra year for a medical red shirt which are often, but not always, approved

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

The 4 game rule for D1 applies to how many games they actually play in. It doesn’t apply in D2 but if the athlete has not appeared in any games they can designate it as a red shirt season at any time. If they are on the field for even one play during a game they lose that option. D1 players can appear in up to 4 games and still designate it as a non medical red shirt season.
              Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

As stated, you only have 10 semesters of eligibility. The NCAA doesn't "wave" this rule.

Can you take 2 red shirts? Yes & no.

1st.....the term "red shirt" is not an official term and not used by the NCAA. Again, time is all the NCAA looks at.

Example: My son sustained a season ending injury just before 2011 (missing the 2011 season). He "red shirted". Then at the end of 2012 he sustained what was believed to be a career ending injury (missing 2013). IF he wanted to be eligible and use his final semester, he could not be enrolled FT during fall of 2012. After a successful surgery and 1 year and 8 months of hard work,, my son was able to play his final season (semester) of football.

Curious as to why you are asking.

Comment

In D1 you have 5 years to compete for 4 seasons and the clocks starts ticking as soon as you enroll full time. In D2, you have 10 full time semesters to compete in 4 fall seasons without a time limit. Part time semesters do not count. You see a lot of guys go part time the spring before their final season. I had a pretty hairy situation and was able to get 11 semesters with 2 "RS" years. Beauty of D2.

1 - RS
                  2 - Active
                  3 - Played in most games but medically withdrew in early November
                  4 - Active
                  5 - Inactive but full time student (considered second RS)
                  6 - Active
                  7 - Active
                  8 - Active
                  9 - Active, season ending injury in week 4
                  10 - Transferred using the 2 year non participant rule. All previous academic requirements did not apply. Also did not have to be released by previous school. Was cleared by university compliance for spring practice.
                  11 - Active, was misadvised by compliance enrolling full time for the spring. I should have stayed part time to avoid this. Obtained NCAA waiver to compete for an 11th semester.

Comment

[QUOTE=ASUPops;n696691]

As stated, you only have 10 semesters of eligibility. The NCAA doesn't "wave" this rule.

Can you take 2 red shirts? Yes & no.

1st.....the term "red shirt" is not an official term and not used by the NCAA. Again, time is all the NCAA looks at.

Example: My son sustained a season ending injury just before 2011 (missing the 2011 season). He "red shirted". Then at the end of 2012 he sustained what was believed to be a career ending injury (missing 2013). IF he wanted to be eligible and use his final semester, he could not be enrolled FT during fall of 2012. After a successful surgery and 1 year and 8 months of hard work,, my son was able to play his final season (semester) of football.

Curious as to why you are asking.[/QUOTE]

The Covid year and players showing up with several college hours (dual credit from HS ) have made things more complex. You then add the transfer portal to the mix and it creates
                    compliance problems. I really didn't understand how some players had more "time" than others. (Full time - Part time)

Thanks for the information.

Comment

Originally posted by LSCFAN77 View Post
                      In D1 you have 5 years to compete for 4 seasons and the clocks starts ticking as soon as you enroll full time. In D2, you have 10 full time semesters to compete in 4 fall seasons without a time limit. Part time semesters do not count. You see a lot of guys go part time the spring before their final season. I had a pretty hairy situation and was able to get 11 semesters with 2 "RS" years. Beauty of D2.

1 - RS
                      2 - Active
                      3 - Played in most games but medically withdrew in early November
                      4 - Active
                      5 - Inactive but full time student (considered second RS)
                      6 - Active
                      7 - Active
                      8 - Active
                      9 - Active, season ending injury in week 4
                      10 - Transferred using the 2 year non participant rule. All previous academic requirements did not apply. Also did not have to be released by previous school. Was cleared by university compliance for spring practice.
                      11 - Active, was misadvised by compliance enrolling full time for the spring. I should have stayed part time to avoid this. Obtained NCAA waiver to compete for an 11th semester.
                      What years were these??

Comment

What years were these??
                        2009-2013, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by LSCFAN77 View Post

2009-2013, 2016
                          Wow, what a gap.

You played the same years as my son ('09-'14)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X