Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffalo Stadium - Amarillo High v. Tascosa

Amarillo ISD changed the venue for Friday night’s rivalry football game between Amarillo High and Tascosa to Bain-Schaeffer Buffalo Stadium in Canyon.

The two teams were scheduled to play at Dick Bivins Stadium on Friday, Sept. 23, but the AISD administration decided to switch venues because the game falls on the last weekend of the Tri-State Fair.

AISD Athletic Director Brad Thiessen said the four districts in District 5-2A drew for their football schedules back in February.

Thiessen said they expect between 10,000 and 12,000 fans at Friday’s game.

“It holds about 9,000 and they figured with about 3,000 and standing room all the way around, we anticipate that that’s about what we’ll have. So we think it’ll be fine. The end zones will open up if we need to,” Thiessen added. “It’s going to be a crazy stadium. So the atmosphere is going to be pretty neat.”
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Presspass reported the announced attendance was 8510.

Comment

Took over 15 minutes to get through the concession line and that was middle of 2nd quarter. Parking was a nightmare. Scoreboard never showed down and distance. PA volume was low and almost unintelligible until halftime. Not the best look for WT. They need to plan better if, by chance, they ever have a real sellout (12K).

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
        Amarillo ISD changed the venue for Friday night’s rivalry football game between Amarillo High and Tascosa to Bain-Schaeffer Buffalo Stadium in Canyon.

The two teams were scheduled to play at Dick Bivins Stadium on Friday, Sept. 23, but the AISD administration decided to switch venues because the game falls on the last weekend of the Tri-State Fair.

AISD Athletic Director Brad Thiessen said the four districts in District 5-2A drew for their football schedules back in February.

Thiessen said they expect between 10,000 and 12,000 fans at Friday’s game.

“It holds about 9,000 and they figured with about 3,000 and standing room all the way around, we anticipate that that’s about what we’ll have. So we think it’ll be fine. The end zones will open up if we need to,” Thiessen added. “It’s going to be a crazy stadium. So the atmosphere is going to be pretty neat.”
        Of course the shooting out at the fair probably didn't help things either.

Hate to hear all the problems for the supposed best football stadium in D2 as well as parking problems.

On a better note its a great time to be a Rebel alumnus and watch them beat the $hit out of Amarillo High after decades of it on the other end.

Probably last for another few years since Tascosa won the 9th grade and JV games.

Let's hope next year's game is back at Dick Bivins where it belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by oldbuff View Post
          Presspass reported the announced attendance was 8510.
          The biggest crowd BS stadium will ever see!

Comment

Wrong. WT Homecoming attendance last year was 9326.

Comment

Originally posted by oldbuff View Post

Wrong. WT Homecoming attendance last year was 9326.
              Thanks for that info.

In 2021 WTAMU avg football game attendance was reported as 6,316. Having 33% more for homecoming is great!
              Last edited by ASUPops; 09-24-2022, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Of course the shooting out at the fair probably didn't help things either.

Hate to hear all the problems for the supposed best football stadium in D2 as well as parking problems.

On a better note its a great time to be a Rebel alumnus and watch them beat the $hit out of Amarillo High after decades of it on the other end.

Probably last for another few years since Tascosa won the 9th grade and JV games.

Let's hope next year's game is back at Dick Bivins where it belongs.
                Graduated from Tascosa. My freshman year we tied Amarillo high 14-14.The rest my of three years there Amarillo high pounded us pretty bad…

Comment

My first varsity game was at Dick Bivins Stadium.. Remember it well. I was late getting taped up and left the dressing room late by myself. I stepped in a gopher hole running down the berm. I tumbled head over heals all the way to the track. The home crowd gave me a rousing welcome to Amarillo.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

A consistent NCAA playoff team that wins 11, 12, 13 games a year will put plenty of butts in the seats, 10,000 + a game. Till then, you are right.

Comment

Originally posted by WT&TTECHfan View Post
                      Graduated from Tascosa. My freshman year we tied Amarillo high 14-14.The rest my of three years there Amarillo high pounded us pretty bad…
                      Yeah I graduated in 1991. In 1988 we destroyed Amarillo High 28-5 and lost to the Friday Night Lights Permian team 1st round of the playoffs. Actually lead 7-0 and was only 10-7 at half. Tried to convert a 4th down near the goal line and got stuffed. They blew us out the 2nd half.

The next several years after that Amarillo High kicked our teeth in. When Tascosa won sporadically the next 30+ years it was usually by one score.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

A consistent NCAA playoff team that wins 11, 12, 13 games a year will put plenty of butts in the seats, 10,000 + a game. Till then, you are right.
                        Have a feeling it might be the mid to late 20s before (if) that happens.

Super frustrating that Kingsville and UTPB have passed them and WT is just spinning their wheels.

At least their facebook page is getting some heat now calling for a coaching change.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
                          Took over 15 minutes to get through the concession line and that was middle of 2nd quarter. Parking was a nightmare. Scoreboard never showed down and distance. PA volume was low and almost unintelligible until halftime. Not the best look for WT. They need to plan better if, by chance, they ever have a real sellout (12K).
                          Sorry to hear, the stadium seems like a good fit for high school games. WT is real good at planning, it only took 3 years to get the buffalo in the stadium.

Maybe the WT students refused to move their cars for a high school game. I would.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X