Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Program

Unrelated to the LSC teams, but I just saw that Simpson College (in Redding California) is adding football as of 2023. They plan to play NAIA.
    Any chance they could make the jump and revitalize the GNAC? Thoughts?

https://www.actionnewsnow.com/news/s...bfb572391.html

Originally posted by QB11111 View Post
    Unrelated to the LSC teams, but I just saw that Simpson College (in Redding California) is adding football as of 2023. They plan to play NAIA.

Might be talking out of my rear here but if they did move up I would think they would go either D3 or FCS since there are no D2 football teams in California.

Humboldt State and Azusa Pacific dropping football have killed D2 there.

Comment

Why would they jump to a conference that still won't be able support football? Simpson adding football is just more proof that the NAIA is a superior model for small college scholarship athletics in the Northwest. Certainly adds to the strong case for the remaining D2 football playing schools to join the NAIA.

How many NAIA to GNAC schools have succeeded? They have closed, cuts sports, moved to DI. D2 in the Northwest seems like a losted cause.

Comment

Originally posted by stealth View Post
        Why would they jump to a conference that still won't be able support football? Simpson adding football is just more proof that the NAIA is a superior model for small college scholarship athletics in the Northwest. Certainly adds to the strong case for the remaining D2 football playing schools to join the NAIA.

How many NAIA to GNAC schools have succeeded? They have closed, cuts sports, moved to DI. D2 in the Northwest seems like a losted cause.
        Currently Central Washington is doing well and I think they had a quarterfinal appearance in the last 10 years or so.

I know Azusa Pacific had some good years but cant remember if they had any playoff wins.

Comment

There's a fairly strong west coast NAIA league. Redding isn't that far from where Southern Oregon University is. It'll still be a lot of travel for them, though, going to the Montana schools.

Comment

Have to remember that there's more to D2 athletics than football. The GNAC is a strong league in everything -but- football, and even then CWU has been competitive nationally and has come fairly close to championships a couple times.

Comment

The GNAC is a strong league? It only has 5/10 baseball teams, 5/10 mens golf teams, 6/10 women's golf teams, 6/10 mens soccer teams. Alaska only participates in 5 of 13 sports, AA only participates in 7 of 13; reality is the Alaska members are only affiliates, bringing the members to 8.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

Have to remember that there's more to D2 athletics than football. The GNAC is a strong league in everything -but- football, and even then CWU has been competitive nationally and has come fairly close to championships a couple times.
                Watch your tongue!!

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Watch your tongue!!
                  Haha. I read that post and thought ASUPops will have something to say about that. You did not disappoint!

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Might be talking out of my rear here but if they did move up I would think they would go either D3 or FCS since there are no D2 football teams in California.

Humboldt State and Azusa Pacific dropping football have killed D2 there.
                    Thats what I think is most plausible, I hate to see D2 die out west, but itโ€™s happening and happened fast. To think that 7 years ago, they had Humboldt, Azusa and Dixie State, along with SD Mines.

Even Lincoln (Calif) swerved and is apparently deciding to try to go FCS rather than D2 as they previously said.

Comment

The GNAC is a strong league? It only has 5/10 baseball teams, 5/10 mens golf teams, 6/10 women's golf teams, 6/10 mens soccer teams. Alaska only participates in 5 of 13 sports, AA only participates in 7 of 13; reality is the Alaska members are only affiliates, bringing the members to 8.
                      Sure as heck stronger than football...

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

Sure as heck stronger than football...
                        What's stronger than football??

US VIEWERSHIP BY SPORT 2021

AMERICAN FOOTBALL 37%
                        BASKETBALL 11%
                        BASEBALL 4%
                        SOCCER 9%

๐ŸŽค ๐Ÿ–๐Ÿผ

Comment

Thats what I think is most plausible, I hate to see D2 die out west, but itโ€™s happening and happened fast. To think that 7 years ago, they had Humboldt, Azusa and Dixie State, along with SD Mines.

Even Lincoln (Calif) swerved and is apparently deciding to try to go FCS rather than D2 as they previously said.
                          Don't believe what Lincoln says. Division I doesn't allow new members from outside the NCAA, and Lincoln is not a school that an exception would be made for.

Comment

If that's true, then they have their priorities way out of whack. I know they have promoted the D1 teams that they play, but, those are certainly pay games. They really need to ask the NAIA to let them in and then in a few years maybe go D3 since California D2 football programs don't exist anymore. I don't even know if D2 is viable for them anyway, they would probably have to ask the LSC to let them in, and Lincoln hasn't exactly had much luck when they've gone to Texas.

As bad as they have been, at least SFU has some sort of program structure where they could seemingly build a decent program. SFU's a 30,000-student university, they need better players. Lincoln-they don't even have a home field! And they're thinking about D1? How many 500-student colleges like LU are D1 today?

Comment

Gary Payton had commented on building a D1 program from scratch when he was hired as head basketball coach.
                              Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X