Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I live on the West Coast (in the Bay Area), I'm surprised that a state with such a large population doesn't as actively engage in football. Most of the high schools in the state have football programs. I wonder if it has something to do college students' seeming ambivalence toward football. Even some large University of California system schools (like UC-Santa Cruz) don't even have a football program.

This summer, my cousin was attending a summer band camp at Sonoma State University. So, on the weekend, my wife and I drove across the bay to take him on a tour of the San Francisco Bay Area. After we arrived at his dorm to pick him up, he showed us that Sonoma State campus (NCAA Division II - CCAA). I was surprised that there wasn't a football stadium on their otherwise beautiful campus. It turns out that the school doesn't even have a football team. Yet, this is true of all of the CCAA conference schools.

The surprising thing to me is that Sonoma State is one of the smallest schools in that D2 conference. Three of the schools have nearly 30,000 students yet no football program. Is it too hard to imagine a football program at those schools that can (in the very least) break even financially? This is not taking into account the fact that football programs can increase exposure, promote school spirit/loyalty and offer some campus comradery?

Then again, even when Stanford had Andrew Luck, Toby Gerhardt, etc. were winning games for Stanford, the university had a difficult time selling seats at Stanford Stadium (even though students could attend for free). In fact, the closest the stadium could come to a sell out was when USC, Oregon or Notre Dame were in town. Even then, the stadium hardly felt like a "home field" because of so many traveling fans or local alumni. I've been to home games at Javelina Stadium that seemed to have more fans in the seats (back in the Coach Cundiff days) than Stanford has had when playing schools like Oregon State or Arizona.

How does NCAA Division II or the conferences recruit schools into their fold? It seems that a good Power Point slide presentation (showing some of the D2 schools) to various university presidents might be enough to allure some of them. Or, is D2 football operations a net loss for some schools?

Comment

Originally posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
      Since I live on the West Coast (in the Bay Area), I'm surprised that a state with such a large population doesn't as actively engage in football. Most of the high schools in the state have football programs. I wonder if it has something to do college students' seeming ambivalence toward football. Even some large University of California system schools (like UC-Santa Cruz) don't even have a football program.

This summer, my cousin was attending a summer band camp at Sonoma State University. So, on the weekend, my wife and I drove across the bay to take him on a tour of the San Francisco Bay Area. After we arrived at his dorm to pick him up, he showed us that Sonoma State campus (NCAA Division II - CCAA). I was surprised that there wasn't a football stadium on their otherwise beautiful campus. It turns out that the school doesn't even have a football team. Yet, this is true of all of the CCAA conference schools.

The surprising thing to me is that Sonoma State is one of the smallest schools in that D2 conference. Three of the schools have nearly 30,000 students yet no football program. Is it too hard to imagine a football program at those schools that can (in the very least) break even financially? This is not taking into account the fact that football programs can increase exposure, promote school spirit/loyalty and offer some campus comradery?

Then again, even when Stanford had Andrew Luck, Toby Gerhardt, etc. were winning games for Stanford, the university had a difficult time selling seats at Stanford Stadium (even though students could attend for free). In fact, the closest the stadium could come to a sell out was when USC, Oregon or Notre Dame were in town. Even then, the stadium hardly felt like a "home field" because of so many traveling fans or local alumni. I've been to home games at Javelina Stadium that seemed to have more fans in the seats (back in the Coach Cundiff days) than Stanford has had when playing schools like Oregon State or Arizona.

How does NCAA Division II or the conferences recruit schools into their fold? It seems that a good Power Point slide presentation (showing some of the D2 schools) to various university presidents might be enough to allure some of them. Or, is D2 football operations a net loss for some schools?
      It’s long been a problem. Football is expensive and a lot of these schools don’t want to bother with it. Billings talked about adding football for a while but it never went anywhere.

Comment

On the flip side, I think California has more JUCO football programs than any other state by a wide margin.
        Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Football is not PC. That's why The West Cost has so few teams.
          The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

Football is not PC. That's why The West Cost has so few teams.

Why so many JUCO's then?
            Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

On the flip side, I think California has more JUCO football programs than any other state by a wide margin.
              Azusa played on a JUCO field. Citrus College. Humboldt's program got dropped because they had a budget crunch and the president at a time went after the largest line item.

Comment

I was wondering about the Lincoln (Calif) stuff, it looks crazy to even say their going D1 when they dont even have a home field, locker rooms, facilities, etc. And get dominated by middle of the D2 teams.

California does infact have more Juco football teams than the entire rest of the country. A JC coach once told me that the development of the JC system in California is what killed D2. (Allegedly).

To me it is crazy that these small schools do not add football, Sonoma State does have a skeleton of their former stadium on campus, its very over grown and almost eerie to see, you can almost feel the ghosts of a once thriving program there.

Comment

Originally posted by QB11111 View Post
                  To me it is crazy that these small schools do not add football, Sonoma State does have a skeleton of their former stadium on campus, its very over grown and almost eerie to see, you can almost feel the ghosts of a once thriving program there.
                  Interesting to know! We drove north (across the GG Bridge following 101) to Sonoma State. We turned onto Petaluma Hill and turned on the main entrance on East Cotati. I just checked on Google Maps (satellite view) and the ruins of that old stadium is right there. The crazy thing is that we drove by that four times and I never noticed it. I drove by the school on the way home from a day trip to Calistoga once too. I didn't see it then either.

I just found one website mention the JUCO schools. They listed 20 JUCO football schools in California. That's crazy! I suppose that they work because students that might not otherwise have NCAA eligibility might be able to continue play in that league.

Comment

Interesting to know! We drove north (across the GG Bridge following 101) to Sonoma State. We turned onto Petaluma Hill and turned on the main entrance on East Cotati. I just checked on Google Maps (satellite view) and the ruins of that old stadium is right there. The crazy thing is that we drove by that four times and I never noticed it. I drove by the school on the way home from a day trip to Calistoga once too. I didn't see it then either.

I just found one website mention the JUCO schools. They listed 20 JUCO football schools in California. That's crazy! I suppose that they work because students that might not otherwise have NCAA eligibility might be able to continue play in that league.
                    Sonoma State! Dallas Cowboys Hall of Famer Larry Allen played there.

Comment

We have way more than 20 JUCO football teams in California. There are actually 67. I was a California JUCO guy before transferring to Delta State.

https://www.cccaasports.org/sports/f...2-23/standings
                      RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                      Delta State University, GSC

Comment

The stadium used to be so nice when they played and they really just let it go, I took a walk on what’s left of the field and it was surreal to see it in person.

I played 2 years of Cali JC football and I always wondered why there weren’t more D2, D3 & NAIA options out there. Especially with the size of the population, I’ve also noticed the JCs out there have no problem getting enough players to play, they always have full buses and over 80+ players even at the smaller schools. If more schools had football, they would without a doubt have no trouble with fielding a team. The exceptions would be the super expensive & academically selective D3s in the LA area.

Comment

Originally posted by QB11111 View Post

The stadium used to be so nice when they played and they really just let it go, I took a walk on what’s left of the field and it was surreal to see it in person.

I played 2 years of Cali JC football and I always wondered why there weren’t more D2, D3 & NAIA options out there. Especially with the size of the population, I’ve also noticed the JCs out there have no problem getting enough players to play, they always have full buses and over 80+ players even at the smaller schools. If more schools had football, they would without a doubt have no trouble with fielding a team. The exceptions would be the super expensive & academically selective D3s in the LA area.
                          I think the issue is the population. FB at the non-D1 level is about enrollment, California schools don't have problems with enrollment, they have problems with money. A FB team's 150-200 student athletes don't really make up for the cost at state colleges. The FB takes a lot of land, which is not available in CA densely populate areas were these state schools are located.

I think the JUCO thing also has alot to do with it. AZ has a strong JUCO system and virtually no College FB till just recently.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X