Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At some point, the WT hopefully have to just resign to the fact that you ARE WOMEN'S Texas A&M University when it comes to sports, and insignificant when it comes to the state's (and nations) #1 sport, FOOTBALL.

I have. WT has lost me, unless major changes are made THIS year.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
      Hughes has experience with stopping powerful NAIA teams like OPSU and Texas College, which are on Nesbitt's schedule
      He did have the experience of being the DC of one of the top defenses in D2 for several years too, including the best in 2014, perhaps he's just not cut out to be a HC. If only anyone could have seen it coming that it was a risky hire, I remember that Thunderwolves Fan azzhole raised concerns several years ago when the hire was made :)

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

He did have the experience of being the DC of one of the top defenses in D2 for several years too, including the best in 2014, perhaps he's just not cut out to be a HC. If only anyone could have seen it coming that it was a risky hire, I remember that Thunderwolves Fan azzhole raised concerns several years ago when the hire was made :)
        Yeah. Whatever happened to that loser? Think he moved to Italy. 😉

Comment

I think you mean "after 9 years". Do you think McBroom wants to try hiring another head football coach? Nesbitt was a flop, then based on what people have said in the forum, he wanted Tremaine Jackson (#80 Valdosta's Coach, who passed due to no 5 yr contract) before settling on Hunter Hughes. Even WT is at #49.

3 strikes and you're out.
          Correction noted: 9 years.

Comment

I think you mean "after 9 years". Do you think McBroom wants to try hiring another head football coach? Nesbitt was a flop, then based on what people have said in the forum, he wanted Tremaine Jackson (#80 Valdosta's Coach, who passed due to no 5 yr contract) before settling on Hunter Hughes. Even WT is at #49.

3 strikes and you're out.
            I have seen a few comments slamming Tremaine Jackson.

Following a little bit of Valdosta State football I think they only had 2 returning starters on defense and had 50+ newcomers to the program. I think they lost the majority of last year's team to graduation and transfer portal.

He did take West Florida to overtime and lost by a point recently so looks like he may be starting to make progress.

He looks to be in the same position that Brett Venables is in with Oklahoma. Give him time to get his players and implement his system. Remember this is his first year and Hughes has had 5 years (not including covid). If after 3-4 years Valdosta is mediocre then you can make the comparisons to Hughes.

The new WT coach (assuming) may face this similar type of situation and people here face the same temptation to run the next guy out of town if he cant deliver a playoff team his first season.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Following a little bit of Valdosta State football I think they only had 2 returning starters on defense and had 50+ newcomers to the program. I think they lost the majority of last year's team to graduation and transfer portal.

He did take West Florida to overtime and lost by a point recently so looks like he may be starting to make progress.

He looks to be in the same position that Brett Venables is in with Oklahoma. Give him time to get his players and implement his system. Remember this is his first year and Hughes has had 5 years (not including covid). If after 3-4 years Valdosta is mediocre then you can make the comparisons to Hughes.

The new WT coach (assuming) may face this similar type of situation and people here face the same temptation to run the next guy out of town if he cant deliver a playoff team his first season.
              You made some good points. Jackson's record at Mesa was good but many of the opponents were lame. WT can handle teams like Adams and NM Highlands too.

Remember Angelo was decimated by the transfer portal, losing their entire line. Some people picked them to have a terrible season, yet claimed WT would win the LSC. The difference? Good coaching.

Nesbitt took over a solid team but wrecked it after his caretaker season. Is Jackson better than Hughes or Nesbitt? Maybe a little. I'll eat some crow if he wins more than 7 games next year.

Comment

You made some good points. Jackson's record at Mesa was good but many of the opponents were lame. WT can handle teams like Adams and NM Highlands too.

Remember Angelo was decimated by the transfer portal, losing their entire line. Some people picked them to have a terrible season, yet claimed WT would win the LSC. The difference? Good coaching.

Nesbitt took over a solid team but wrecked it after his caretaker season. Is Jackson better than Hughes or Nesbitt? Maybe a little. I'll eat some crow if he wins more than 7 games next year.
                Jackson was only even at Mesa for one year, his covid "season" bragging about being ranked as the best defense in the RMAC showed him to be quite the clown. Well, that and he and his staff hitting on college girls at the local bars. He seems to be a lot of talk and not much more. How a program like Valdosta was tricked into hiring him is baffling.

Comment

Someone alerted me to Chris McCullogh. According to my source, he's an extremely bright young coach who's making his mark at East Central University. He's 7-3 this year and 17-7 in the past two years. Most of his team is populated with Texas kids.

I'm going to do more research on him. At age 26, he's the youngest HC in D2. You can read his bio on the East Central website. Young. HC experience. Winning. If, McBroom makes a change, he might be worth a long look. Does anyone on here have an insight on MCCullogh?
                  Last edited by BuffaloChip; 11-10-2022, 12:08 PM.

Comment

You know the saying "styles make fights".

It's hard to tell how one coach would do at another conference/team given all things are equal.

I don't think Nesbitt wrecked it so much as he got exposed as years passed when Carthel's players used up their eligibility and he had to coach up/recruit his own players.

Whoever takes over needs to have strong Texas ties and ability to peg good coordinators.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                      Someone alerted me to Chris McCullogh. According to my source, he's an extremely bright young coach who's making his mark at East Central University. He's 7-3 this year and 17-7 in the past two years. Most of his team is populated with Texas kids.

I'm going to do more research on him. At age 26, he's the youngest HC in D2. You can read his bio on the East Central website. Young. HC experience. Winning. If, McBroom makes a change, he might be worth a long look. Does anyone on here have an insight on MCCullogh?
                      Yeah I saw where East Central has a 7-3 record in a really decent conference (GAC).

Some years the game between East Central and Northeastern State determined next to last place.

Comment

You know the saying "styles make fights".

It's hard to tell how one coach would do at another conference/team given all things are equal.

I don't think Nesbitt wrecked it so much as he got exposed as years passed when Carthel's players used up their eligibility and he had to coach up/recruit his own players.

Whoever takes over needs to have strong Texas ties and ability to peg good coordinators.
                        It didn't take long for Nesbitt to screw up. The loss against ENMU his first year was shocking (not so much now) because Carthel never lost to his alma mater. In that game Nesbitt had Sergio try a 67 yard FG at the end of the game. How do you suppose that worked out? I felt like the second half of the Grand Valley game is when the Nesbitt era really began. They were ahead by 14 at half time only to be shut out in the second half. Grand Valley only needed the 21 points they scored in the 3rd quarter.

The following year, 2 wins against McMurry powered Nesbitt to a winning season. That sounds kind of familiar doesn't it? We lost twice to ENMU that year. Players have told me how inept he was as coach. However he has found success in the NAIA.

I don't think Carthel turned into a poor recruiter his last year. BTW Carthel recruited Nesbitt at ENMU where he was the punter.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

ECU was built up by the previous HC (Johnson) and McCullough has improved on it. He was named interim HC in the spring and ECU took the interim tag off this season just before the game against Ouachita. He's now the HC, and I doubt he wants to start over and build from scratch.

Comment

WT should fire Hughes and buffalo/ islander and ASP Pops as co head coaches.

Comment

I agree. During his 2 years at Colorado Mesa he did well. 2-1 in COVID season and 8-2 in 2021. 1 of those losses was in double OT to CSU-P. He also beat then #3 Colorado Mines. His other loss was to then #20 Western Colo. Great 1st full season.

With Valdosta, you are correct, give him time to build. It won't take long.

I think WT missed a great one with Jackson.

We'll see in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post
                                WT should fire Hughes and buffalo/ islander and ASP Pops as co head coaches.
                                They'd never win a game!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X