Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I agree.

As bad as the ENMU game was he probably survives given it was a rivalry game lost at the end.

Getting blown out by Simon Fraser would be like Texas getting blown out by New Mexico State.

Players leaving totally agree with as well.

The WT Facebook page is definitely an interesting dynamic.

Lots of fans and former parents saw the importance of high grades rather than a playoff football team.
    I mean... high grades are more important. The chances of any of the kids playing on any LSC team continuing on in football as a profession are minuscule. The playoffs are nice, but at the end of the day, for all these kids getting a good degree that they can turn into a career is more important.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronOre View Post

I mean... high grades are more important. The chances of any of the kids playing on any LSC team continuing on in football as a profession are minuscule. The playoffs are nice, but at the end of the day, for all these kids getting a good degree that they can turn into a career is more important.
      Agree but you have to reach that balance.

WT younger "fan" base is to the point where they probably aren't old enough to remember WT's last playoff game.

If Grand Valley starts going 5-6 in football most of their fanbase aren't going to cite rising GPA's as a case to keep a coach around.

Comment

Agree but you have to reach that balance.

WT younger "fan" base is to the point where they probably aren't old enough to remember WT's last playoff game.

If Grand Valley starts going 5-6 in football most of their fanbase aren't going to cite rising GPA's as a case to keep a coach around.
        Don't get me wrong, firing Hughes was the right move. His team quit on him at SFU. It's just that insinuating that the football team making the playoffs is fundamentally more important than the players getting good grades is wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

I believe SFU was thevfinal straw, because as of 11/11 the news was Hughes was staying and a new AC was hired.

Maybe a combination of the SFU loss and pressure you speak of. From calls to the AD'S office as well. Another factor was players leaving. Enough was enough.
          I would hate to be the new AC....

Comment

Don't get me wrong, firing Hughes was the right move. His team quit on him at SFU. It's just that insinuating that the football team making the playoffs is fundamentally more important than the players getting good grades is wrong.
            Agreed.

Being an alum from multiple universities that are/were struggling in different sports I can tell you it gets old to hear "We didn't make the playoff again this year but overall our GPA increased from 2.3 to 2.8".

Comment

I agree.

As bad as the ENMU game was he probably survives given it was a rivalry game lost at the end.

Getting blown out by Simon Fraser would be like Texas getting blown out by New Mexico State.

Players leaving totally agree with as well.

The WT Facebook page is definitely an interesting dynamic.

Lots of fans and former parents saw the importance of high grades rather than a playoff football team.
              So, you are saying on FB, WT alum/fans and parents of FOOTBALL players (?) feel having good grades, as a football team, is more important than the team winning? If that is correct, LMAO x 5!

If grades are the most important, dump all sports and put the money into academic scholarships!

Why are these "football" parents not talking their kids out of playing football? They should be ALL IN on academics ONLY. Because sports will take away precious study time!! AGAIN, LMAO x 5.

Now, I can hear lil Johnny Thirdstring Benchwarmer's mom yapping about how important it is to have good grades vs winning championships. But, football, as with other sports, is played to WIN.

Wanna know just how important academics is compared to winning football games at WT? Hunter Hughes is unemployed. Enough said!

Comment

The DEGREE is important. But a C or a B makes ZERO difference. The relationships made via football will open career doors. And add on football success and MANY, MANY doors will open.

People LOVE winners and want to be associated with success. And in Texas, play on a championship football team.....fuggedaboutit.

Comment

Agreed.

Being an alum from multiple universities that are/were struggling in different sports I can tell you it gets old to hear "We didn't make the playoff again this year but overall our GPA increased from 2.3 to 2.8".
                  Hahaha, right?

Comment

So, you are saying on FB, WT alum/fans and parents of FOOTBALL players (?) feel having good grades, as a football team, is more important than the team winning? If that is correct, LMAO x 5!

If grades are the most important, dump all sports and put the money into academic scholarships!

Why are these "football" parents not talking their kids out of playing football? They should be ALL IN on academics ONLY. Because sports will take away precious study time!! AGAIN, LMAO x 5.

Now, I can hear lil Johnny Thirdstring Benchwarmer's mom yapping about how important it is to have good grades vs winning championships. But, football, as with other sports, is played to WIN.

Wanna know just how important academics is compared to winning football games at WT? Hunter Hughes is unemployed. Enough said!
                    Completely agree with you. I was mostly arguing that point with casual (if that) fans so it was a lost cause.

Comment

The DEGREE is important. But a C or a B makes ZERO difference. The relationships made via football will open career doors. And add on football success and MANY, MANY doors will open.

People LOVE winners and want to be associated with success. And in Texas, play on a championship football team.....fuggedaboutit.
                      One of my favorite quotes was from a pharmacist 30 years ago when I first entered healthcare.

He asked "What do you call a Pharmacist that made an A+ in school and what do you call a pharmacist that made a C- in school'?

His answer "A Pharmacist".

Comment

One of my favorite quotes was from a pharmacist 30 years ago when I first entered healthcare.

He asked "What do you call a Pharmacist that made an A+ in school and what do you call a pharmacist that made a C- in school'?

His answer "A Pharmacist".
                        EXACTLY! No one asks the cardiovascular surgeon about his undergrad GPA. 🙄

Comment

• David Baliff out at Commerce and is now available.

NEWS: David Bailiff won't return as head football coach at Texas A&M Commerce (texasfootball.com)

Comment

EXACTLY! No one asks the cardiovascular surgeon about his undergrad GPA. 🙄
                            You don't get into med school if you have a crappy undergrad GPA.

Comment

Really? Been a healtcare professional for 26 years. You'd be REAL surprised!

And how many DII college football players become physicians? A miniscule amount at best!

Comment

A majority don't but it can also be who you know and how high you score on a MCAT, PCAT, etc.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X