Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The No. 9 West Texas A&M Lady Buffs are headed to the NCAA Division II National Championship match for the fifth time in school history after defeating Missouri-St. Louis in four sets on Friday night. The Lady Buffs will face the No. 1 seed Concordia-St. Paul.

THE MATCH
    #9 West Texas A&M 3, Missouri-St. Louis 1 (25-23, 25-21, 23-25, 25-23)

THE RECORDS
    • #9 West Texas A&M 32-4 (16-0 LSC)
    • Missouri-St. Louis (25-7, 12-1 GLVC)
    BY THE SET
    Set 1
    The opening set saw five lead changes with 12 ties as the Lady Buffs claimed set one, 25-23, to the lead over the Tritons in the semifinal match. WT hit .188 in the match opener with 18 kills on 48 attempts with nine errors to go along with 19 digs, 18 assists, three blocks and a lone ace from Ainsley Malis. The Tritons hit .179 with 12 kills on 39 swings with five errors, 11 assists, 18 digs, and five blocks.

SET 2
    After falling behind 6-2 in the second set, WT chipped its way to even the set 12-12 before breaking away with a 25-21 set victory to lead the match, 2-0. The Lady Buffs hit .234 in the second with 17 kills on 47 swings with six errors while limiting the Tritons to hit just .104 with 12 kills on 48 swings. The Lady Buffs had 25 digs with 15 assists and four blocks along with Bryli Contreras' aces.

SET 3
    The Lady Buffs led off the third set with a 3-0 lead before the Tritons fought their way to a 25-23 set victory to make it a 2-1 match. WT and UMSL were nearly evenly matched with the Lady Buffs hitting .235 to the Tritons .228. The Lady Buffs had 17 kills on 51 swings and three blocks while UMSL had 18 kills on 57 swings with five blocks as each team recorded five attack errors.

SET 4
    The final set saw another battle in the war for ticket to the National Championship match. The Tritons grabbed a 5-2 lead before a service error ignited a 5-point run to give the Lady Buffs the lead. WT kept the foot on the gas as they extended their lead out to 18-14 before Tritons brought the set within one from a kill from Hailey Flowers. WT punched its ticket with a double block from All-American honorees Taytum Stow and Torrey Miller.

THE NUMBERS
    WT hit .229 overall in the semifinal match with 68 kills on 192 swings with 24 errors to go along with 62 assists, a season-high 98 digs, 14 blocks and three aces. Missouri-St. Louis ended the season hitting .158 with 56 kills on 196 swings with 25 errors, 90 digs, 52 assists, 11 blocks and five aces.

Torrey Miller led the night with a match-high 22 kills on 54 swings with six error to hit .296 to go along with 13 digs for her 12th double-double of the season. Blair Moreland paced the offense with 29 assists while Bryli Contreras had two aces with a career-high 37 digs. LSC Defensive Player of the Year Taytum Stow had a career-high 11 blocks in the victory.

Two players reached 18 kills for the Tritons with All-American Charlotte Richards and Hailey Flowers while Richards had two aces. Caitlin Bishop produced a match-high 48 assists while Kylie Adams had 29 digs and Hannah Copeland had eight blocks.

THE MILESTONES
    • WT will make the first National Championship appearance since 2009
    • The Lady Buffs continue their postseason run moving to 57-25 overall during the NCAA Tournament and move on to their fifth NCAA National Championship, first under Kendra Potts
    • Kendra Potts, the AVCA National Coach of the Year, moves to 8-2 in the NCAA Tournament with an 90-10 career record for an incredible winning percentage of 90%
    • Potts becomes the fifth head coach to lead WT to the final Division II match of the season joining Kim Hudson, Jim Giacomazzi, Debbie Hendricks, and Jason Skoch
    • Miller now has 12 double-doubles on the season: 47th career
    • Ainsley Malis registered her eighth double-double of the season with 22 assists and 12 digs
    • Stow becomes the first player to reach over 10 blocks in a single match since Destiny Jones in 2018 against Texas A&M-Kingsville
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

I woke early and just finished watching the replay of the Concordia-Cal-LA semi match. I'd say Concordia is 3-1 favorite to win tonight's championship game. WT will have to play flawless defense and take Concordia out of system. I imagine WT's coach Potts has closely watched the Wayne-Concordia matches and hopes to replicate those results.

10 national championships for Concordia, 3 for WT. Whoever wins, making it to the championship game is quite a feat. Championship game at 5pm CST on NCAA.com.

Go Lady Buffs!
      Last edited by BuffaloChip; 12-04-2022, 09:57 AM.

Comment

LADY BUFFS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPS!!

Comment

Originally posted by BuffAlum06 View Post
          LADY BUFFS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPS!!
          Congrats Lady Buffs!!

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
            I awake early and just finished watching the replay of the Concordia-Cal-LA semi match. I'd say Concordia is 3-1 favorite to win tonight's championship game. WT will have to play flawless defense and take Concordia out of system. I imagine WT's coach Potts has closely watched the Wayne-Concordia matches and hopes to replicate those results.

10 national championships for Concordia, 3 for WT. Whoever wins, making it to the championship game is quite a feat. Championship game at 5pm CST on NCAA.com.

Go Lady Buffs!
            Concordia put a blemish on Wt’s perfect national championship record only fair to return the favor…:)

Comment

WOW!!!!!! CONGRATS TO THE LADY BUFFS on an unbelievable feat!!

Congrats to all the fans & alums. You all needed something positive after the horrendous football season.

Comment

That last point was unbelievable.

Congrats on the national championship!

Moments like that makes me understand why some WT alums want to stay D2.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

This is Concordia’s tournament to lose. Might be those two in the final
                  I watched the match tonite , each set was close but Lady Buffs were focused after loosing the first set, in my view I think Concordia got a little cocky and thought after winning that first set that had it won not having lost a set in the entire tournament.. congrats Ladies. looks like a good squad returning next year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by WT&TTECHfan View Post
                    Concordia put a blemish on Wt’s perfect national championship record only fair to return the favor…:)
                    Was a great Match.. I think Concordia may of taken the Lady Buffs lightly starting out but after that first set saw that were in a dog fight.

Comment

Watched the VB match tonite great game.. Buffs were focused.. Ladies seem to have fun out there and take it serious.. Seems to be great chemistry with Coach Potts. Hope she stays at WT.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffan78 View Post
                        Watched the VB match tonite great game.. Buffs were focused.. Ladies seem to have fun out there and take it serious.. Seems to be great chemistry with Coach Potts. Hope she stays at WT.
                        Kendra is not going anywhere. Wt is home. This is where she wants to raise her family and wear NC rings.
                        The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

Kendra is not going anywhere. Wt is home. This is where she wants to raise her family and wear NC rings.
                          I lost count how many times I've heard that statement then a coaching position with higher pay is offered.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I lost count how many times I've heard that statement then a coaching position with higher pay is offered.
                            Sure, it happens. But, let's give Kendra 7 or 8 years to cement WT as a perennial national championship contender before she might move on. WT is a great VB job for many, many reasons.

Comment

I am thrilled for the volleyball team. If I lived closer I would go to many of their games but I don’t enjoy it online.

Imagine going to a fine restaurant for Thanksgiving. The shrimp and crab cocktail is fabulous. The green bean casserole is the best you’ve ever had. All the sides and desserts are amazing but the turkey is lousy to rotten for 9 straight years. It wasn’t always that way, the turkeys there used to be amazing but that chef was fired. The 2 chefs hired to make the turkeys have been lame and also fired.

Doesn’t it make sense to have someone else hire the new turkey chef? Otherwise the restaurant may have to start making 3rd rate burgers and fries while the goofy owner makes the restaurant smaller and smaller. The name might change to D3 Burgers, and it might be vegetarian.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Coach Potts being a alumni of wt I see her staying for awhile.I would be more concerned with Josh Prock.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X