Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes has been relieved of his duties

According to reports by Dave Campbell's Texas Football, WT has fired Head Football Coach Hunter Hughes.

https://www.texasfootball.com/articl..._preview_title

Comment

Odd delay

Comment

WT has made it official.

Change in Leadership Announced for Buffalo Football - West Texas A&M University Athletics (gobuffsgo.com)

Comment

What a relief! Now we just need to get the other 2.

Comment

Won't make any difference. WT admin isn't funding the program fully. Dirty little secret. A chunk of scholarships are missing. Good luck finding any sort of coach interested in that gig. Cool stadiums and a nice campus don't win football games. Players win football games. You've got to have scholarships to get players. Until that is resolved, and permanently, WT is pissing in the wind.

After the whole thing comes crashing in, Wendler will be retired somewhere raking leaves in the front yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
              Won't make any difference. WT admin isn't funding the program fully. Dirty little secret. A chunk of scholarships are missing. Good luck finding any sort of coach interested in that gig. Cool stadiums and a nice campus don't win football games. Players win football games. You've got to have scholarships to get players. Until that is resolved, and permanently, WT is pissing in the wind.

After the whole thing comes crashing in, Wendler will be retired somewhere raking leaves in the front yard.
              Yeah, I don't know think that's true. CWU has never been fully funded for scholarships, as far as I know, and it's competed on the national stage several times. Coaches want as many resources as they can get, I'm sure, but I don't think that's the only thing that is taken into consideration when applying for a job at this level.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

I think the players they had this year were good enough to win 9 games. Let's face it Hughes was overall 32-29 including an 18-22 mark in Lone Star Conference action. He sucked last year and even more this year.

McBroom is 0 for 2 on football coaches. I don't think he's the right guy for a winning football program. I'm not sure what Wendler is good at, other than shrinking enrollment. Losing 1000 students means $300K less per year to pay off the stadium. I don't know if the remote students have to pay the $300/year for that, but they shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

Yeah, I don't know think that's true. CWU has never been fully funded for scholarships, as far as I know, and it's competed on the national stage several times. Coaches want as many resources as they can get, I'm sure, but I don't think that's the only thing that is taken into consideration when applying for a job at this level.
                  I am not sure how many, if any, LSC teams are fully funded.

Comment

They should promote Will Wagner to Head Football Coach of the WT Buffaloes.

Comment

Any ideas on who will be the next guy?
                      Or if Rus Martin or Will Wagner will be promoted?

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

I may be talking out of my arse (not the first time) but I was under the impression about 10 years ago that several of them were fully funded (WT included).

Why would multiple schools decide not to no longer fully fund the football program? Covid maybe?

I find it difficult to believe that Tarleton, ACU, and Commerce weren't fully funded in the past and Angelo State/Midwestern are not currently.

I do remember a story several years ago that Pueblo was either looking or being considered for the LSC because they had the ability to fund the full 36 scholarship limit instead of the restricted RMAC limit at the time.

Now that Hughes is out of the way it could pave the way for disgruntled alums and donors to ante up and get to that point again.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I may be talking out of my arse (not the first time) but I was under the impression about 10 years ago that several of them were fully funded (WT included).

Why would multiple schools decide not to no longer fully fund the football program? Covid maybe?

I find it difficult to believe that Tarleton, ACU, and Commerce weren't fully funded in the past and Angelo State/Midwestern are not currently.

I do remember a story several years ago that Pueblo was either looking or being considered for the LSC because they had the ability to fund the full 36 scholarship limit instead of the restricted RMAC limit at the time.

Now that Hughes is out of the way it could pave the way for disgruntled alums and donors to ante up and get to that point again.
                          Read the master plan for Wt online a few years ago and the athletic department was trying to figure out how to make up $450,000 from lost funding.That was before Covid hit.Probably had a lot to do with Carthel being fired.

Comment

Possible candidates? Texas has great football from preps to small college to major college. WTAM has great facilities, I'd think they could attract some really good candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Since when was WT, Angelo, Kingsville, heck most of the rest of the old guard not fully funded?

That was always the catch for ENMU they were a partially funded program going against fully loaded ones.
                              I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X