Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WT&TTECHfan View Post

Read the master plan for Wt online a few years ago and the athletic department was trying to figure out how to make up $450,000 from lost funding.That was before Covid hit.Probably had a lot to do with Carthel being fired.
    I know you like Don Carthel and I do too, but he has been gone for many years. It’s time to move on. I wouldn’t term the last two coaches busts; just average.

We really need to fund the program before we can fairly evaluate anyone. How many games does Alabama win if they are only funding at the FCS level? Let’s fund the program, THEN evaluate the coaches. That’s only fair.

WT isn’t a small school. There is plenty of fan interest, ticket sales, donations, and corporate sponsors to have a flush Division 2 program.
    Last edited by Herb Street; 11-21-2022, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

Since when was WT, Angelo, Kingsville, heck most of the rest of the old guard not fully funded?

That was always the catch for ENMU they were a partially funded program going against fully loaded ones.
      COVID really hurt.

I know back in the 2010's Angelo, Commerce, ENMU, UIW and Tarleton WERE NOT fully funded. And none of the Oklahoma schools were. Some finally became fully funded. I can't answer for WT or TAMUK. ACU was fully funded
      Last edited by ASUPops; 11-22-2022, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

I know you like Don Carthel and I do too, but he has been gone for many years. It’s time to move on. I wouldn’t term the last two coaches busts; just average.

We really need to fund the program before we can fairly evaluate anyone. How many games does Alabama win if they are only funding at the FCS level? Let’s fund the program, THEN evaluate the coaches. That’s only fair.

WT isn’t a small school. There is plenty of fan interest, ticket sales, donations, and corporate sponsors to have a flush Division 2 program.
        You don't need the full 36 scholarships to beat programs like ENMU and Simon Fraser.

Except for the Angelo game the other 5 games lost were on coaching plain and simple.

Only thing that kept WT from finishing 4-7 was the UTPB coach was worse at game management.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

You don't need the full 36 scholarships to beat programs like ENMU and Simon Fraser.

Except for the Angelo game the other 5 games lost were on coaching plain and simple.

Only thing that kept WT from finishing 4-7 was the UTPB coach was worse at game management.
          Hey now.....ENMU is 22-19 vs the Buffs. 17-18 when playing for the wheel and of those the Carthel era is the ONLY reason WT has the lead.

You do need 36 Schollies to consistently compete at the national level. Sure you can make it to the playoffs or even make it to the regional championships 1 out if 10 years with some good kids and a few under 36 schollies but that is the exception not the rule.
          I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Hey now.....ENMU is 22-19 vs the Buffs. 17-18 when playing for the wheel and of those the Carthel era is the ONLY reason WT has the lead.

You do need 36 Schollies to consistently compete at the national level. Sure you can make it to the playoffs or even make it to the regional championships 1 out if 10 years with some good kids and a few under 36 schollies but that is the exception not the rule.
            I meant in the context of fairly evaluating a coach.

Scholarships had nothing to do with last second collapses and the whole team collapse/quit against SFA at the end of the year.

Totally agree need the 36 full scholarships to be competitive at a national level.

At this point I want to at least see an 8-3 playoff spot for baby steps.

Comment

UMD won two natties being funded at 28.

I think it is a combination of the area as well as a good level of funding. CWU's big days were at levels of around 28. I think they are at 32 now. And they are close to some solid PNW recruiting areas in Seattle/Tacoma, Yakima/Valley, Tri Cities, and Spokane. That helps them a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

I think it is a combination of the area as well as a good level of funding. CWU's big days were at levels of around 28. I think they are at 32 now. And they are close to some solid PNW recruiting areas in Seattle/Tacoma, Yakima/Valley, Tri Cities, and Spokane. That helps them a lot.
                Pueblo won one too, but like you said it depends on the area as well.

The competition for recruits in Pueblo, Canyon, Angelo, Kingsville, etc is steeper than in the North West.
                I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

From what we here around the NSIC, Duluth isn’t and hasn’t been near 28. Last we all saw/heard they were at around 22-23. And if I remember correctly, there are only 1-2 programs fully funded in the conference at this point. Most of the conference is playing short handed, some more than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

From what we here around the NSIC, Duluth isn’t and hasn’t been near 28. Last we all saw/heard they were at around 22-23. And if I remember correctly, there are only 1-2 programs fully funded in the conference at this point. Most of the conference is playing short handed, some more than others.
                    Thanks for that information. I believe at that time the NSIC had a 28 limit. GNAC had a 24 limit at that time.

Comment

Thanks for that information. I believe at that time the NSIC had a 28 limit. GNAC had a 24 limit at that time.
                      The NSIC had a cap at 24 until 2012/2013 maybe? Then eventually got to 28, then did away with the cap in 2017 allowing schools to offer 36.

it’s not the ‘big dogs’ that are at 36 either.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X