Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Not so sure that's accurate.

HC Helton is making $900k. One would guess his OC is easily making 6 figures.

Plus it's D1 FBS. As an OC, he will get opportunities to coach at P5 schools or HC opportunities at FCS & possibly FBS.

He would be nuts to apply for WT. That's a HUGE step backwards.
    I didn’t find Ben Arbuckle’s name on this list, but the other co-offensive coordinator, Josh Crawford, makes $76,128. The D-coordinator, Tyson Summers, makes $125,000. (https://www.wku.edu/regents/2022/fbacket-bor-5-5-22.pdf).

Comment

• [QUOTE=ASUPops;n722339]
      Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

Link stating they are cutting football scholarships?
      Already did. They’re at 27 for football.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Not so sure that's accurate.

HC Helton is making $900k. One would guess his OC is easily making 6 figures.

Plus it's D1 FBS. As an OC, he will get opportunities to coach at P5 schools or HC opportunities at FCS & possibly FBS.

He would be nuts to apply for WT. That's a HUGE step backwards.
        Correct. No competent D1 assistant is joining the D2 club. That’s like Taylor Swift giving up stadium concerts to sing at the local dive. D2 is mostly a dive.

Comment

• Hardly anyone is fully funded in division 2. I know Western Oregon's way under the limit as
          ​​​​​​are most former GNAC schools. I'm finding D2 to be tough to fund and more people cut football out of that division than any, which is unfortunate. No doubt RMAC and Pennsylvania schools are under the limit, too.

In the West stupid schools would rather cut football than leave the obscure D2 division. Sorry, rant over. Props to those who fund it well.
          Last edited by tsull; 11-25-2022, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Herb Street;n722355]
            Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Already did. They’re at 27 for football.
            Where???

Comment

• Originally posted by texcap View Post

I didn’t find Ben Arbuckle’s name on this list, but the other co-offensive coordinator, Josh Crawford, makes $76,128. The D-coordinator, Tyson Summers, makes $125,000. (https://www.wku.edu/regents/2022/fbacket-bor-5-5-22.pdf).
              Other D2 numbers:

Minnesota State HC - Hoffner = $158k
              Minnesota State DC - Glogowski = $92k

Comment

• Originally posted by texcap View Post

Yeah, I think Arbuckle's getting paid @ $70,000 at Western Ky. All their budget for coaches seems to be going to the Big Guy (not Joe Biden this time).

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Yeah, I think Arbuckle's getting paid @ $70,000 at Western Ky. All their budget for coaches seems to be going to the Big Guy (not Joe Biden this time).
                  Hunter was getting paid about $125,000 at WT. would be a nice pay raise….

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffAlum99 View Post

Hunter was getting paid about $125,000 at WT. would be a nice pay raise….
                    WT needs to up their coordinator and assistant coach pay. The last I saw it was in the 50k range for the coordinators.

Comment

No one knows if WT has a budget problem. All I hear are unfounded and unconfirmed rumors.

However, 90+? Don't think so. If WT fully-funded all their sports, that would be @132 scholarships. A 25% across the board cut, for example, would still leave 100 scholarship. The question becomes where those scholarship $ are spent. Do you cut across the board? Do you protect your MAJOR sports? Those are decisions the AD must recommend and implement.

If WT must reduce scholarships to 100 here's what I would do:
                      Football: 36
                      Men's BB: 10
                      Women's BB: 10
                      VB: 8
                      SB: 7
                      Wom Soccer: 9
                      Wom T&F: 12
                      Wom Golf: 4
                      Men Soc: 0
                      Men's Golf: 0
                      Baseball: 4

That's how I'd do it and comply with Title 9. Protect our top revenue sports-the 5 at the top of the list.

Hopefully, no budget woes exist and our AD won't have to make those decisions. Hopefully, unfolded rumors are untrue.

This opens things up to a larger discussion: is it time for new leadership and a new direction? Will new leadership have the vision necessary to marshal the support for WT to make the next step.......FCS D1.

I know that sounds strange. It would follow, if you can't support D2 how can you support D1? Personally, I believe D2 is dying. Do we Continue to play the WNMU's (yes I know we lost) and (future) Sul Rosses or the ACU's and SFA's? You have to ask the right questions. Where will WT be in 20 years? Where does it need to be? Ask those same questions about athletics. I see it as D1 or D3. Those questions and that decision should have been made 5 years ago. I don't see D2 as viable. Do we go D1 or do we become D3 and play MHB, Hardin-Simmons, Howard Payne, Trinity, Austin College, Southwestern (Georgetown), et al?

ACU, Incarnate Word, Tarleton, Commerce made the decision and haven't looked back. Will WT? The ground beneath WT's feet is shifting. For ASU, too. We all better take head.
                      So if D2 is dying, where will all those 300+ schools end up.? D1, D3 (which will then be 750+ schools and have to figure our scholarships) or cut all athletics?

Comment

• Originally posted by Try II View Post

So if D2 is dying, where will all those 300+ schools end up.? D1, D3 (which will then be 750+ schools and have to figure our scholarships) or cut all athletics?
                        D2 is alive in well. But D2 football in Texas is on the endangered list. There remains ASU, WT, MSU, UTPB, and Kingsville. A couple of those are considering a move up. WT either has to move up to compete against comparable state schools, or it will need to join the RMAC or Heartland and play against the New Mexico Highlands of the world. The WT president will do whatever is cheapest, because what is cheapest is always best. ;)

I suspect lots of bus trips to rural New Mexico and Oklahoma over the next decade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

D2 is alive in well. But D2 football in Texas is on the endangered list. There remains ASU, WT, MSU, UTPB, and Kingsville. A couple of those are considering a move up. WT either has to move up to compete against comparable state schools, or it will need to join the RMAC or Heartland and play against the New Mexico Highlands of the world. The WT president will do whatever is cheapest, because what is cheapest is always best. ;)

I suspect lots of bus trips to rural New Mexico and Oklahoma over the next decade.
                          Just asking. How are the schools going to move up? If Carthel is right and I’m positive he is the WAC ship has sailed. How many schools will the SLC take at a time for transition if any? My guess is they would transition one at a time which is eternity waiting four years and TAMIC has three more.

WT missed the WAC opportunity imo, and at this point just might be stuck in a rut for some time.

Comment

I wasn't saying Arbuckle was THE guy. I was saying he should not be dismissed out of hand. In the context (that I believe) the AD wants a new HC to have an offense that can put points on the board, Arbuckle fills the bill.

However, the details of putting a staff together, retaining current players, recruiting, working with a budget, and all the little things necessary to run a program.......someone with experience will percolate to the top.

Lynn meets those requirements, but, like others have asked; does Lynn run the kind of offense that the AD is looking for? Lynn's 2022 team averaged 33 points (18 given up), 264 yds rushing, 133 yds passing, 17 passing TD's. Pretty good numbers. More balance than his ENMU teams had. The last 5 years Neb-Kearney has gone 5-6, 7-5, 2-0, 10-3, and 8-3 in the MIAA. I've always enjoyed watching a well-run triple option offense. It looks like Lynn has evolved and the days of only passing 7 or 8 times a game is gone.

Personally, I don't care what kind of offense WT runs if the team has a good chance of winning the LSC and competing for a regional championship.
                            Lynn is not the Offensive caller, wasn't at enmu either. He plays a defensive game though, ball control and possessions.
                            I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

• Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Just asking. How are the schools going to move up? If Carthel is right and I’m positive he is the WAC ship has sailed. How many schools will the SLC take at a time for transition if any? My guess is they would transition one at a time which is eternity waiting four years and TAMIC has three more.

WT missed the WAC opportunity imo, and at this point just might be stuck in a rut for some time.
                              My guess, and it is purely a guess, is that the WAC and SLC would welcome another football playing school such as WT any time. But that won’t happen. The WT president would join the local 5A high school conference if he could.

Comment

• Originally posted by Try II View Post

I should have used the phrase "slowly dying" instead of "dying."

I believe there will come a day when we have 3 divisions 1) Power 8 does their thing, 8 new Power conferences with 16 teams 2) the rest of the left out FBS/FCS schools and some D2 schools (who decide to move UP), and 3) non-scholarship schools. I don't think there will be a D2 with limited scholarship programs. D2 schools on the bubble will either have to move UP or go non-scholarship. The Grand Valley's and Valdosta's will pony up and throw their hats in the new non-Power 8 division. Will the NWMo's, IUP's, and WT's have the will and resources to do likewise?

Given this scenario, I believe a great, great many schools will choose the D3-type athletic program. It'll be a lot cheaper which the Prez's will like. Some schools though will have a helluva lot of band scholarships for beginning drummers who can run and block. There will also be many, many academic rides. Ha!

Each of the 3 new divisions would form their own organization separate from the NCAA with rules and regulations that conform to their own peculiar mission. The NCAA has become irrelevant and anachronistic.

JMO.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X