Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://post.futurimedia.com/kgncam/...sten-2621.html

Lance Lahnert had Michael McBroom on his show yesterday and discussed football decisions etc

Comment

The source for 90 was highly reliable. I hope it doesn’t happen. That being said, Wendler is not an advocate for college athletics. Any talk of D1 is wishful thinking as long as he is the WT pres.
      Sorry to say this, but the new FB coach may be very disappointed in what McBroom can offer. This is not McBroom’s fault either.

Comment

Originally posted by oldbuff View Post
        The source for 90 was highly reliable. I hope it doesn’t happen. That being said, Wendler is not an advocate for college athletics. Any talk of D1 is wishful thinking as long as he is the WT pres.
        Sorry to say this, but the new FB coach may be very disappointed in what McBroom can offer. This is not McBroom’s fault either.
        I hope a concerned group of boosters, fans, and financial supporters of the university and athletics will soon come together and force some changes in either the outlook of our leadership or even pressure A&M for a change in leadership. As I asked earlier; where does WT see itself in 20 years? The same as it is now? 10,000 students? D3? Or a vibrant 18,000-20,000 FCS D1 school? With additional doctoral programs? Perhaps even a research university designation in fields like agriculture?

It's a lot harder to raise awareness and money for a local D2 school than a regional D1 university that sits right smack dab in the middle of the Texas panhandle with no one but Tx Tech 100 miles to the south.

Comment

Ignore me. Back to basics.

So, who's gonna put his hat in the ring for the WT job? Who's on McB's list of coaches he'd like to hire? Who should he hire if he had the chance? Who will hem most likely target? I have no idea.

Comment

You said "cut 90+." Did you mean cut to the 90+ level. That's a big difference. What did you mean?

Comment

Cut 90. Not cut to 90. Don’t know the dollar amount.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

God forbid.......PLEASE!
                I don’t know a thing about the guy, other than he had a good run at his HS job, and has bounced around at various colleges as an assistant, including WT I think? What’s the poop on him Chip?

Comment

Ignore me. Back to basics.

So, who's gonna put his hat in the ring for the WT job? Who's on McB's list of coaches he'd like to hire? Who should he hire if he had the chance? Who will hem most likely target? I have no idea.
                  A few names that meet the criteria he talked about in his interview with lance:

Joel Osborn (NAIA Benedictine HC Former assistant at NW Missouri)

Garin Higgins (Emporia State HC)

While I think Higgins is more qualified, they have both been involved in highly successful D2 programs

Comment

Cut 90. Not cut to 90. Don’t know the dollar amount.
                    A cut of 90 would leave maybe 40 total scholarships for what, 14 sports? I have doubts about your source's information.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post

I don’t know a thing about the guy, other than he had a good run at his HS job, and has bounced around at various colleges as an assistant, including WT I think? What’s the poop on him Chip?
                      Just a poop choice.

Comment

No one knows if WT has a budget problem. All I hear are unfounded and unconfirmed rumors.

However, 90+? Don't think so. If WT fully-funded all their sports, that would be @132 scholarships. A 25% across the board cut, for example, would still leave 100 scholarship. The question becomes where those scholarship $ are spent. Do you cut across the board? Do you protect your MAJOR sports? Those are decisions the AD must recommend and implement.

If WT must reduce scholarships to 100 here's what I would do:
                        Football: 36
                        Men's BB: 10
                        Women's BB: 10
                        VB: 8
                        SB: 7
                        Wom Soccer: 9
                        Wom T&F: 12
                        Wom Golf: 4
                        Men Soc: 0
                        Men's Golf: 0
                        Baseball: 4

That's how I'd do it and comply with Title 9. Protect our top revenue sports-the 5 at the top of the list.

Hopefully, no budget woes exist and our AD won't have to make those decisions. Hopefully, unfolded rumors are untrue.

This opens things up to a larger discussion: is it time for new leadership and a new direction? Will new leadership have the vision necessary to marshal the support for WT to make the next step.......FCS D1.

I know that sounds strange. It would follow, if you can't support D2 how can you support D1? Personally, I believe D2 is dying. Do we Continue to play the WNMU's (yes I know we lost) and (future) Sul Rosses or the ACU's and SFA's? You have to ask the right questions. Where will WT be in 20 years? Where does it need to be? Ask those same questions about athletics. I see it as D1 or D3. Those questions and that decision should have been made 5 years ago. I don't see D2 as viable. Do we go D1 or do we become D3 and play MHB, Hardin-Simmons, Howard Payne, Trinity, Austin College, Southwestern (Georgetown), et al?

ACU, Incarnate Word, Tarleton, Commerce made the decision and haven't looked back. Will WT? The ground beneath WT's feet is shifting. For ASU, too. We all better take head.
                        Budget info should be public. Might have to do some digging to find it. I believe they intentionally make it difficult to find. It can also be excruciating to interpret it, spreadsheets with hundreds of rows, revenue and expense by month for every department at the school.
                        You might get lucky and find a presentation or budget proposal specifically for athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SPWOU View Post

Budget info should be public. Might have to do some digging to find it. I believe they intentionally make it difficult to find. It can also be excruciating to interpret it, spreadsheets with hundreds of rows, revenue and expense by month for every department at the school.
                          You might get lucky and find a presentation or budget proposal specifically for athletics.
                          You're right. I do know that WT has a very large budget for a D2 program. I think it's somewhere in the $10M range. I imagine a clever AD could work with that.

Comment

Why would he leave metro-area Kearney for 250,000 population Amarillo-Canyon?
                            Be closer to family, better resources?
                            I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

No one knows if WT has a budget problem. All I hear are unfounded and unconfirmed rumors.

However, 90+? Don't think so. If WT fully-funded all their sports, that would be @132 scholarships. A 25% across the board cut, for example, would still leave 100 scholarship. The question becomes where those scholarship $ are spent. Do you cut across the board? Do you protect your MAJOR sports? Those are decisions the AD must recommend and implement.

If WT must reduce scholarships to 100 here's what I would do:
                              Football: 36
                              Men's BB: 10
                              Women's BB: 10
                              VB: 8
                              SB: 7
                              Wom Soccer: 9
                              Wom T&F: 12
                              Wom Golf: 4
                              Men Soc: 0
                              Men's Golf: 0
                              Baseball: 4

That's how I'd do it and comply with Title 9. Protect our top revenue sports-the 5 at the top of the list.

Hopefully, no budget woes exist and our AD won't have to make those decisions. Hopefully, unfolded rumors are untrue.

This opens things up to a larger discussion: is it time for new leadership and a new direction? Will new leadership have the vision necessary to marshal the support for WT to make the next step.......FCS D1.

I know that sounds strange. It would follow, if you can't support D2 how can you support D1? Personally, I believe D2 is dying. Do we Continue to play the WNMU's (yes I know we lost) and (future) Sul Rosses or the ACU's and SFA's? You have to ask the right questions. Where will WT be in 20 years? Where does it need to be? Ask those same questions about athletics. I see it as D1 or D3. Those questions and that decision should have been made 5 years ago. I don't see D2 as viable. Do we go D1 or do we become D3 and play MHB, Hardin-Simmons, Howard Payne, Trinity, Austin College, Southwestern (Georgetown), et al?

ACU, Incarnate Word, Tarleton, Commerce made the decision and haven't looked back. Will WT? The ground beneath WT's feet is shifting. For ASU, too. We all better take head.
                              I think you mean take HEED - at least I hope you do.

In the B years, softball had about 8 scholarships but "everyone got something". Personally I think the roster needs to be scaled down to players that actually contribute during games. Mook seems fiercely loyal to his players which is admirable if there is plenty of money.

I think going to D3 would be a train wreck for football, but the last 9 seasons have been pretty worthless at least from my point of view. Coaches are hired to win games. Nesbitt and Hughes were not very good at that. At least if we played a couple of D1 teams a year we would get some good money for it.

It's nice to hope your players all become doctors and lawyers, but it's really their business. If they can hold a C average that's all that should be expected, just like for any other student. That being said, we have had MDs come out of the football and softball programs, and I'm delighted for them.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

I think you mean take HEED - at least I hope you do.

In the B years, softball had about 8 scholarships but "everyone got something". Personally I think the roster needs to be scaled down to players that actually contribute during games. Mook seems fiercely loyal to his players which is admirable if there is plenty of money.

I think going to D3 would be a train wreck for football, but the last 9 seasons have been pretty worthless at least from my point of view. Coaches are hired to win games. Nesbitt and Hughes were not very good at that. At least if we played a couple of D1 teams a year we would get some good money for it.

It's nice to hope your players all become doctors and lawyers, but it's really their business. If they can hold a C average that's all that should be expected, just like for any other student. That being said, we have had MDs come out of the football and softball programs, and I'm delighted for them.
                                Take heed, yes.

But, as I said a few weeks ago, the last I heard was that WT is fully funded. 8 scholarships for SB plus some smart girls who get some academic money can make for some pretty good teams. If that's changed it'd be news to me. Still, I think it's time for WT to really entertain D1. The D2 world has shifted. As someone recently said, the portal is killing D2, especially football. It's going to get worse before gets better, if ever.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X