Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wt should find someone who has D2 or higher head coaching experience. I really don't want to see any more on-the-job training.
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
      https://www.wtamu.edu/about/informat...ick-facts.html

WT dropped from 9,581 in Fall 2021 to 9,275 in Fall 2022
      I was told they had a very strong freshman class this fall. They expect another one next fall and the decline will be reversed. The big drop this fall was in graduate programs.....the moneymaker for the university.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
        Candidates
        Adam Clark DC at Angelo. Head Coaching experience
        Phillip Vigil worked for Colby beat WT and MSU at WNMU in his first year
        Higgins Really successful at emporia and Notheest Oklahoma
        Lynn Nebraska-Kearney. Won the LSC at Enmu and was in on the job when Hughes got it.
        Adam Dorrell is a pipe dream
        I would set my sights higher than a 26 year old 1st year head coach from East Central or David “all you eat Buffett” Baliff.

Lynn and Higgins are very interesting. Emporia and Kearney are middle of the pack jobs in the MIAA. WT may be the best job in the LSC. Could be intriguing for them.
        Early on this fall I was intrigued by Vigil.

However......I hear from a very very reliable source that Vigil has won with a group of players that are not attending class, have a close relationship with local authorities, and many have to have their ankle bracelets unlocked before games. Seriously, the AD has made calls around the league seeking advice. He's routinely told he has 2 choices: a) fire Vigil, and b) hope he wins enough to move on. Vigil's running a program flush with with academic rejects and scofflaw characters. He'll never get a job like WT. Too bad because he has a very good resume. He beat WT, but........

Cross Vigil off of the WT list.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Early on this fall I was intrigued by Vigil.

However......I hear from a very very reliable source that Vigil has won with a group of players that are not attending class, have a close relationship with local authorities, and many have to have their ankle bracelets unlocked before games. Seriously, the AD has made calls around the league seeking advice. He's routinely told he has 2 choices: a) fire Vigil, and b) hope he wins enough to move on. Vigil's running a program flush with with academic rejects and scofflaw characters. He'll never get a job like WT. Too bad because he has a very good resume. He beat WT, but........

Cross Vigil off of the WT list.

I would think you would almost have to have players like that in order to win at a place like WNMU. Very similar to NM Highlands imo

Comment

A very intriguing idea is a local kid who early on played a couple years for Hughes. Today he is one of the youngest, if not the very youngest, OC's in D1. Ben Arbuckle. QB for Canadian, Tx HS. I think he won a state championship at Canadian.

He's the OC at Western Kentucky. He'd be a great hire!

Comment

Originally posted by BuffAlum99 View Post

I would think you would almost have to have players like that in order to win at a place like WNMU. Very similar to NM Highlands imo
              Yes, but not a resume enhancer for the WT job. WT requires decent academics and a willingness to play within the rules.

Comment

A very intriguing idea is a local kid who early on played a couple years for Hughes. Today he is one of the youngest, if not the very youngest, OC's in D1. Ben Arbuckle. QB for Canadian, Tx HS. I think he won a state championship at Canadian.

I would be surprised to see an assistant coach move down a division for a head coach job, particularly in a situation where the university president would just as soon be D3. How WT keeps ending up with these clowns every decade or so is beyond me, but it gets old.

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
                  Wt should find someone who has D2 or higher head coaching experience. I really don't want to see any more on-the-job training.
                  To accomplish that, WT would have to be perceived as a premier D2 job. With admin tampering with the program and not fully funding it, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                    Does Bailiff…Go West…to another A&M??? Or am I just the King of Wishful Thinking?

https://footballscoop.com/news/sourc...ill-not-return
                    I seriously doubt it. He sees the writing on the wall so to speak. Three more years of transition with less and less talent on the field. Recruiting in transition is brutal. Hard to look a young man in the eye and say let’s play for pride.

North Alabama is a prime example of how things go for programs transitioning. Tarleton somehow scratched out a third consecutive winning season in transition but I personally believe the new facilities and growth of the school played into it as well.

Still, they have taken a step back in holding on to talent during transition. The light at the end of the tunnel for them is this year’s recruiting class. You can tell recruits you are going to red shirt them and they will play for a playoff spot the remainder of their college days.

But, seriously how many D2 programs aren’t gutted before clearing transition and having three win seasons? TAMUC will most likely fall into this category by year three.

I would guess most Football HCs don’t clear transition but I could be wrong. Might as well leave before the natives get restless.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffAlum99 View Post

Was he out of football this year?
                      I think he coached at a high school this last season.

Comment

I was a big fan of Ben's. He played for Nesbitt first. Hughes made jokes about Ben tripping over his own feet but still let him play sometimes, though much less than Houghtaling, who was a good leader but didn't have the skills for D2 football.. Ben understandably quit at the end of the year..

I tend to agree with GWB, we have had enough coordinators. Let's get someone who knows how to be a head coach. I wish Ben the best, but it would be asking a lot for him to turn around a program that's been a joke for 9 years. Also his playing time under his 2 poor head coaches is not helpful to being a good head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Yep I agree as well. In the future I do believe it's going to be a D1 vs. D3 decision.

If they do go D3 at least the WT administration will be transparent about cutting funds in athletics.

Its hard with a straight face to promote a D2 home schedule that will have Sul Ross followed by Simon Fraser.

ACU and Tarleton are doing decent so far in football and basketball.

The transfer portal will affect every team and level.

Texas A&M-Commerce top receiver just entered the portal.
                          The window to move to FCS may have just closed for WT or any other LSC school for that matter. In an interview Carthel just stated that the WAC & ASUN are going to form a nine team football only Conference like Missouri Valley. UTRGV will be the tenth when they come aboard in the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

I was a big fan of Ben's. He played for Nesbitt first. Hughes made jokes about Ben tripping over his own feet but still let him play sometimes, though much less than Houghtaling, who was a good leader but didn't have the skills for D2 football.. Ben understandably quit at the end of the year..

I tend to agree with GWB, we have had enough coordinators. Let's get someone who knows how to be a head coach. I wish Ben the best, but it would be asking a lot for him to turn around a program that's been a joke for 9 years. Also his playing time under his 2 poor head coaches is not helpful to being a good head coach.

I disagree. Western Ky is in C-USA. They are 7-5. 5-2 in conference. Lost at Indiana, 33-30. Lost 31-28 at UTSA. Play FIU this weekend on CBS, 11am. As co-OC and QB coach, Arbuckle's offense is averaging 37 pts, 476 total yds, and 333 passing yds. Graduated from WT in 2018. Worked with Zach Kittley for 2 years at Houston Baptist. Kittley is OC at Texas Tech. It appears Ben has something on the ball. He's been recognized for it and promoted quickly. I read some news articles about WKU games this year and the word "electrifying" came up several times when describing their offense. Also, he's not being paid much at WKU. HC at WT is a nice pay increase. A return home. A HC gig for his resume. 5 or 6 years of winning at WT. Some playoff appearances. Move on to a SFA type gig or a big(er)-time OC gig.

I would be very surprised if our AD has not already made a call to Kentucky.

Comment

I disagree. Western Ky is in C-USA. They are 7-5. 5-2 in conference. Lost at Indiana, 33-30. Lost 31-28 at UTSA. Play FIU this weekend on CBS, 11am. As co-OC and QB coach, Arbuckle's offense is averaging 37 pts, 476 total yds, and 333 passing yds. Graduated from WT in 2018. Worked with Zach Kittley for 2 years at Houston Baptist. Kittley is OC at Texas Tech. It appears Ben has something on the ball. He's been recognized for it and promoted quickly. I read some news articles about WKU games this year and the word "electrifying" came up several times when describing their offense. Also, he's not being paid much at WKU. HC at WT is a nice pay increase. A return home. A HC gig for his resume. 5 or 6 years of winning at WT. Some playoff appearances. Move on to a SFA type gig or a big(er)-time OC gig.

I would be very surprised if our AD has not already made a call to Kentucky.
                              There is no way a coach in the D1 club is leaving to join the D2 - or worse - club. Only really edgy candidates are going to take a chance where dunces in the c-suite are screwing the program. Career ending move, zero chance.

WT isn’t even solidly D2 in the future from my sources. A real shame. Unfair to all supporters of WT as well as the staff working in the trenches each day. A mine full of gold, trying to get at it with a plastic spoon because it’s cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

There is no way a coach in the D1 club is leaving to join the D2 - or worse - club. Only really edgy candidates are going to take a chance where dunces in the c-suite are screwing the program. Career ending move, zero chance.

WT isn’t even solidly D2 in the future from my sources. A real shame. Unfair to all supporters of WT as well as the staff working in the trenches each day. A mine full of gold, trying to get at it with a plastic spoon because it’s cheaper.
                                If not D2, would they really consider moving down to D3?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X