Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QB11111 View Post

If not D2, would they really consider moving down to D3?
    When you have administrators that view athletics strictly as a cost, without regard to cost benefit and/or opportunity cost, anything is in play. Toss in some ego, jealousy, and vendettas, you’re in deep dookie.

WT has been down this road before, unfortunately. It’s like a broken record every decade or so. The current admin will be long gone and someone else will have to come in and try to clean it up. Replace coaches that fled the situation, rebuild support. That takes a decade. Then some clown comes in and tears it all down. Enrollment goes up, hope springs eternal, WT is going to grow despite itself, then some guy comes in and drives to every west Texas town, smartly telling high school kids to go to WT after junior college.

Hey, if that’s the guy’s fervent belief, great. But if he can’t support and promote his own employer, he needs to be fired.
    Last edited by Herb Street; 11-24-2022, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I disagree. Western Ky is in C-USA. They are 7-5. 5-2 in conference. Lost at Indiana, 33-30. Lost 31-28 at UTSA. Play FIU this weekend on CBS, 11am. As co-OC and QB coach, Arbuckle's offense is averaging 37 pts, 476 total yds, and 333 passing yds. Graduated from WT in 2018. Worked with Zach Kittley for 2 years at Houston Baptist. Kittley is OC at Texas Tech. It appears Ben has something on the ball. He's been recognized for it and promoted quickly. I read some news articles about WKU games this year and the word "electrifying" came up several times when describing their offense. Also, he's not being paid much at WKU. HC at WT is a nice pay increase. A return home. A HC gig for his resume. 5 or 6 years of winning at WT. Some playoff appearances. Move on to a SFA type gig or a big(er)-time OC gig.

I would be very surprised if our AD has not already made a call to Kentucky.
      I have no doubt Ben has a bright future. I just don't think coming to WT at this time would be a good move for him, or WT. We need someone who has been a head coach, and is willing to come in with no contract at a school where athletics (and enrollment) is being put on the back burner.

What's on the front burner at WT? Not much if anything.

Comment

What’s on the burner at WT is shrink mode. It has beleaguered the school throughout its history.

Comment

Tell me if I am wrong or way off base here.

Would a Lynn hire signal that WT is willing to continue with less scholarships and instill the triple option to mask that weakness as what was done at ENMU?

Is Nebraska-Kearney fully funded?

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Would a Lynn hire signal that WT is willing to continue with less scholarships and instill the triple option to mask that weakness as what was done at ENMU?

WT is not cutting any scholarships and is fully funded. Certainly a lot better resources than most other D2s. They would not be putting in a brand new stadium and building onto the Bain center without this being the case.

I’m not sure Lynn’s style of offense would be a big hit at WT. it is geared more towards lesser players. WT is able to recruit better players than places like ENMU and UNK

Comment

This thread has been fun to read.

I'm not a Wendler fan. Dude is out of touch as much as tries to reflect otherwise.

WT has so much to offer, including good graduate school options (online and in person) to keep players into that fifth year. Surely they can land someone that is proven.

Simon Fraser is every bit of 30,000+, and their campus is like a city of its own.

Virginia Union is about 7,000+, and doing several online programs, just like WT is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Not sure if UNK is fully funded, but the most recent numbers I have seen show they are close and have really increased funding since moving to the MIAA.

Loper Football Scholarship History
                2020 (34.00)
                2019 (33.00)
                2018 (33.00)
                2017 (32.16)
                2016 (29.60)
                2015 (25.72)
                2014 (23.00)
                2013 (24.26)
                2012 (20.77)

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

I have no doubt Ben has a bright future. I just don't think coming to WT at this time would be a good move for him, or WT. We need someone who has been a head coach, and is willing to come in with no contract at a school where athletics (and enrollment) is being put on the back burner.

What's on the front burner at WT? Not much if anything.
                  I wasn't saying Arbuckle was THE guy. I was saying he should not be dismissed out of hand. In the context (that I believe) the AD wants a new HC to have an offense that can put points on the board, Arbuckle fills the bill.

However, the details of putting a staff together, retaining current players, recruiting, working with a budget, and all the little things necessary to run a program.......someone with experience will percolate to the top.

Lynn meets those requirements, but, like others have asked; does Lynn run the kind of offense that the AD is looking for? Lynn's 2022 team averaged 33 points (18 given up), 264 yds rushing, 133 yds passing, 17 passing TD's. Pretty good numbers. More balance than his ENMU teams had. The last 5 years Neb-Kearney has gone 5-6, 7-5, 2-0, 10-3, and 8-3 in the MIAA. I've always enjoyed watching a well-run triple option offense. It looks like Lynn has evolved and the days of only passing 7 or 8 times a game is gone.

Personally, I don't care what kind of offense WT runs if the team has a good chance of winning the LSC and competing for a regional championship.
                  Last edited by BuffaloChip; 11-25-2022, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I wasn't saying Arbuckle was THE guy. I was saying he should not be dismissed out of hand. In the context (that I believe) the AD wants a new HC to have an offense that can put points on the board, Arbuckle fills the bill.

However, the details of putting a staff together, retaining current players, recruiting, working with a budget, and all the little things necessary to run a program.......someone with experience will percolate to the top.

Lynn meets those requirements, but, like others have asked; does Lynn run the kind of offense that the AD is looking for? Lynn's 2022 team averaged 33 points (18 given up), 264 yds rushing, 133 yds passing, 17 passing TD's. Pretty good numbers. More balance than his ENMU teams had. The last 5 years Neb-Kearney has gone 5-6, 7-5, 2-0, 10-3, and 8-3 in the MIAA. I've always enjoyed watching a well-run triple option offense. It looks like Lynn has evolved and the days of only passing 7 or 8 times a game is gone.

Personally, I don't care what kind of offense WT runs, if the team has a good chance of winning the LSC and competing for a regional championship.
                    The AD evidently liked Hughes' dream offense of running most of the time when he hired him. Remember Hughes basically flipped off Brinkley and Arbuckle and installed Houghtaling, who was not an effective passer (or runner).

Hughes never really became the head coach. He was the defensive coordinator who was IN CHARGE. He ignored the kicking game for years, but finally realized that might be important in mid 2021. His defense was not very good either. Every team has injuries and they adapt, but not WT.

I have said this before, but I would like every assistant coach, manager, graduate assistant, ball boy, equipment manager, scout, and grocery clerk associated with the WT football team to be shown the door. They carry the stench of the last 9 years on them. This especially applies to the morons who packed the wrong jerseys for the SFU game. The entire SFU debacle was a blight on WT's history. I suppose it had a silver lining, because Hughes probably would still be the coach if they had won that game.

The new coach needs to have a fresh start and not ever hear "but Hunter (or Mike) liked to do it differently". He also has to delegate to his assistant coaches. Personally I think the wishbone belongs in the the '70s and should stay there. Too many fumbles too. I've always been for a balanced attack.

Comment

• [QUOTE=BuffAlum99;n722218]

WT is not cutting any scholarships and is fully funded. /QUOTE]

link?

Comment

• Yes. A link or proof that WT is not cutting scholarships, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

When you have administrators that view athletics strictly as a cost, without regard to cost benefit and/or opportunity cost, anything is in play. Toss in some ego, jealousy, and vendettas, you’re in deep dookie.

WT has been down this road before, unfortunately. It’s like a broken record every decade or so. The current admin will be long gone and someone else will have to come in and try to clean it up. Replace coaches that fled the situation, rebuild support. That takes a decade. Then some clown comes in and tears it all down. Enrollment goes up, hope springs eternal, WT is going to grow despite itself, then some guy comes in and drives to every west Texas town, smartly telling high school kids to go to WT after junior college.

Hey, if that’s the guy’s fervent belief, great. But if he can’t support and promote his own employer, he needs to be fired.
                          Calling him a stumbling block would be a compliment. He needs to go asap. Preferably yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I disagree. Western Ky is in C-USA. They are 7-5. 5-2 in conference. Lost at Indiana, 33-30. Lost 31-28 at UTSA. Play FIU this weekend on CBS, 11am. As co-OC and QB coach, Arbuckle's offense is averaging 37 pts, 476 total yds, and 333 passing yds. Graduated from WT in 2018. Worked with Zach Kittley for 2 years at Houston Baptist. Kittley is OC at Texas Tech. It appears Ben has something on the ball. He's been recognized for it and promoted quickly. I read some news articles about WKU games this year and the word "electrifying" came up several times when describing their offense. Also, he's not being paid much at WKU. HC at WT is a nice pay increase. A return home. A HC gig for his resume. 5 or 6 years of winning at WT. Some playoff appearances. Move on to a SFA type gig or a big(er)-time OC gig.

I would be very surprised if our AD has not already made a call to Kentucky.
                            Not so sure that's accurate.

HC Helton is making $900k. One would guess his OC is easily making 6 figures.

Plus it's D1 FBS. As an OC, he will get opportunities to coach at P5 schools or HC opportunities at FCS & possibly FBS.

He would be nuts to apply for WT. That's a HUGE step backwards.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Herb Street;n722298]
                              Originally posted by BuffAlum99 View Post

WT is not cutting any scholarships and is fully funded. /QUOTE]

link?
                              Link stating they are cutting football scholarships?

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Personally I think the wishbone belongs in the the '70s and should stay there. Too many fumbles too. I've always been for a balanced attack.
                                I agree with this.

An expert coach with the best personnel will deliver a conference championship and maybe a playoff win or two but doubt you will ever win a national championship with it in these times from D2 and above.

First time an option team falls behind 14-0 then they are forced to try more passes and then it snowballs.

Even in 5A and 6A Texas playoff football the option teams hit a brick wall against athletic defenses.

There are reasons why you only see Navy, Air Force, and Georgia Tech running it consistently.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X