Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I should have used the phrase "slowly dying" instead of "dying."

I believe there will come a day when we have 3 divisions 1) Power 8 does their thing, 8 new Power conferences with 16 teams 2) the rest of the left out FBS/FCS schools and some D2 schools (who decide to move UP), and 3) non-scholarship schools. I don't think there will be a D2 with limited scholarship programs. D2 schools on the bubble will either have to move UP or go non-scholarship. The Grand Valley's and Valdosta's will pony up and throw their hats in the new non-Power 8 division. Will the NWMo's, IUP's, and WT's have the will and resources to do likewise?

Given this scenario, I believe a great, great many schools will choose the D3-type athletic program. It'll be a lot cheaper which the Prez's will like. Some schools though will have a helluva lot of band scholarships for beginning drummers who can run and block. There will also be many, many academic rides. Ha!

Each of the 3 new divisions would form their own organization separate from the NCAA with rules and regulations that conform to their own peculiar mission. The NCAA has become irrelevant and anachronistic.

JMO.
    There will be a 40 - 50 school super conferences league. The question is what is WT's strategy for navigating the coming chances? Has our AD articulated a plan? or is the plan for WT athletics to be a victim of the changes and drop to D3?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rockofwesties View Post

There will be a 40 - 50 school super conferences league. The question is what is WT's strategy for navigating the coming chances? Has our AD articulated a plan? or is the plan for WT athletics to be a victim of the changes and drop to D3?

I suspect the AD’s hands are tied. Until Wendler showed up, WT, including its athletics really had momentum. The president, the same genius running around everywhere telling high schoolers to go to junior college instead of WT, was also the one who cut back the stadium capacity by one third.

He’s a cutter, not a planner. That should plainly tell you where WT is headed.

Comment

I believe there will come a day when we have 3 divisions 1) Power 8 does their thing, 8 new Power conferences with 16 teams 2) the rest of the left out FBS/FCS schools and some D2 schools (who decide to move UP), and 3) non-scholarship schools. I don't think there will be a D2 with limited scholarship programs. D2 schools on the bubble will either have to move UP or go non-scholarship. The Grand Valley's and Valdosta's will pony up and throw their hats in the new non-Power 8 division. Will the NWMo's, IUP's, and WT's have the will and resources to do likewise?

Given this scenario, I believe a great, great many schools will choose the D3-type athletic program. It'll be a lot cheaper which the Prez's will like. Some schools though will have a helluva lot of band scholarships for beginning drummers who can run and block. There will also be many, many academic rides. Ha!

Each of the 3 new divisions would form their own organization separate from the NCAA with rules and regulations that conform to their own peculiar mission. The NCAA has become irrelevant and anachronistic.

JMO.
        4 16 team conferences with an 8 team playoff is more likely.

Comment

• So if we are going to get into fortune telling, I predict non-scholarship for WT within a few years. That way they can “be more competitive and win national championships.” This is the chorus every time WT moves down a division. 1-A to 1-AA, 1AA to D2, and D2 to D3.

Wendler can show the world how clever he is. Then, he will walk away with his aTm retirement.

Look up how many schools were 1-A fifty years ago, that are now D2. Spoiler alert: It’s a very small club.
          Last edited by Herb Street; 11-27-2022, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
            Already did. They’re at 27 for football.
            Link?

Comment

JMO.
              This idea was being discussed on this board in 2009 I believe.

At that time, people in the know stated the Big Boys would have their own "league" and it would happen by no later than 2019. It was "guaranteed" to happen.

Well.....here we are in 2022 and NOTHING. Not even in the works.

But, I am sure one day something similar will take place, or should.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Link?
                Right??

He stated he already posted one, but I am unable to locate it.

Comment

Link?
                  There’s not a public source that I know of. But I stand by my statement.

Comment

That is a tactic used in the OT!

"I don't have the information, but I stand by my statement"

Comment

I suspect the AD’s hands are tied. Until Wendler showed up, WT, including its athletics really had momentum. The president, the same genius running around everywhere telling high schoolers to go to junior college instead of WT, was also the one who cut back the stadium capacity by one third.

He’s a cutter, not a planner. That should plainly tell you where WT is headed.
                      I don't disagree about anything you have said about Wendler. However, the WT football program was already crap long before he arrived.

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

I don't disagree about anything you have said about Wendler. However, the WT football program was already crap long before he arrived.
                        in terms of wins and losses, it's been mediocre. Crap is 2-9, 3-8.

Comment

I was teasing. You asked for a link about similar but contradictory information previously.

Comment

in terms of wins and losses, it's been mediocre. Crap is 2-9, 3-8.
                            Crap is a nebulous term. Besides, it's easier when the team is 2-9. The coach gets fired faster, pickems are easier, and people aren't always saying "if WT can just run the table...".

I don't see how anyone could say Hughes' final season was anything better than crap, even though the team finished 5-6.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

This idea was being discussed on this board in 2009 I believe.

At that time, people in the know stated the Big Boys would have their own "league" and it would happen by no later than 2019. It was "guaranteed" to happen.

Well.....here we are in 2022 and NOTHING. Not even in the works.

But, I am sure one day something similar will take place, or should.
                              I was posting this idea as a legacy for my 5 year old grandson. That was the unwritten context.

Comment

I was teasing. You asked for a link about similar but contradictory information previously.
                                Yep. They aren’t fully funded. Short 9 scholarships for football. Not a big secret. I’ve got an unlikely source: works some in the president’s office. (S)he has concerns. There are a number of issues that would concern program supporters but I can’t say too much.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X