Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSC Pick'em: Bowl Edition

I totally meant to do this in its own pick'em, and totally didn't forget to add them to the playoff one. So here it is, the pick'em BOWL EDITION! Our first bowl with LSC participants is the SHRUM BOWL! Witness this grudge match between the mighty Thunderbut... err Thunderbirds of UBC and our very own buffalo-killers, the Simon Fraser Red Leafs! They are only a handful of kilometers apart in the greater Vancouver metro area. It's at 7pm on a Friday, so you can be sure most of the fans will be drunk.

The second bowl is the Heritage Bowl! No, not the Heritage Bowl that went defunct in 1999, but the (checks notes) Fun Town RV Heritage Bowl played at Tiger Stadium in Corsicana, TX. I'm sure it's very nice. This one will have TAMUK who backed into a 7-4 record taking on the directionally challenged East Central University of Ada, OK who finished a respectable 8-3.

Make your picks here: https://forms.gle/1n9QuEw1LujqTdaf8

Originally posted by IronOre View Post
    I totally meant to do this in its own pick'em, and totally didn't forget to add them to the playoff one. So here it is, the pick'em BOWL EDITION! Our first bowl with LSC participants is the SHRUM BOWL! Witness this grudge match between the mighty Thunderbut... err Thunderbirds of UBC and our very own buffalo-killers, the Simon Fraser Red Leafs! They are only a handful of kilometers apart in the greater Vancouver metro area. It's at 7pm on a Friday, so you can be sure most of the fans will be drunk.

The second bowl is the Heritage Bowl! No, not the Heritage Bowl that went defunct in 1999, but the (checks notes) Fun Town RV Heritage Bowl played at Tiger Stadium in Corsicana, TX. I'm sure it's very nice. This one will have TAMUK who backed into a 7-4 record taking on the directionally challenged East Central University of Ada, OK who finished a respectable 8-3.

Thanks!

Now I won't have to have a vendetta against cwfenn!

Comment

Quick question: Are they playing NCAA rules or Canadian rules in this one? I thought I read a while back that they alternated depending on whose stadium they were playing the game (makes sense because the fields are different).

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post

Quick question: Are they playing NCAA rules or Canadian rules in this one? I thought I read a while back that they alternated depending on whose stadium they were playing the game (makes sense because the fields are different).
        They're at SFU this year, so NCAA rules. Next year will be Canadian rules, if they continue on with the game.

Comment

Pretty much an even split in picks on both these games so far.

Comment

Shrum Bowl will be interesting.

if SFU wins it’ll discount U Sports, if UBC wins it’ll significantly damage SFU’s reputation in the eyes of U Sports.

in Canada SFU is widely criticized for leaving CIS (U Sports).

for anyone that wants information: https://athletics.sfu.ca/news/2022/1...hrum-bowl.aspx

UBC did very well in U Sports play this year and easily could have been in the Vanier cup instead of Saskatchewan.

SFU was bottom of the barrel LSC…

its a generally held belief in Canada U Sports is on par with mid to high level D2. 1 play off bracket and less schools means some schools like Bishops wouldnt be able to get a first down in D2 yet powerhouses like Laval or Western could probably run with some decent schools in D2.

it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

My vote is SFU by a TD.

Comment

Originally posted by Go4lucky View Post

if SFU wins it’ll discount U Sports, if UBC wins it’ll significantly damage SFU’s reputation in the eyes of U Sports.

for anyone that wants information: https://athletics.sfu.ca/news/2022/1...hrum-bowl.aspx

UBC did very well in U Sports play this year and easily could have been in the Vanier cup instead of Saskatchewan.

SFU was bottom of the barrel LSC…

its a generally held belief in Canada U Sports is on par with mid to high level D2. 1 play off bracket and less schools means some schools like Bishops wouldnt be able to get a first down in D2 yet powerhouses like Laval or Western could probably run with some decent schools in D2.

it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

My vote is SFU by a TD.
              Are you an SFU fan? I went to the CWU at SFU game and was pleased by how nice the stadium is, and how many fans showed up.

Comment

Make your picks! The Shrum Bowl is tomorrow night!

https://forms.gle/1n9QuEw1LujqTdaf8

Comment

LICENSED SEATING & CONCESSIONS
                  FOOD: Featuring Mr. Tube Steak and other food options
                  ALCOHOL: SFU Stadium has licensed seating sections and family areas. Food and beverage options will also be available in field level student sections

Just keep the alcohol out of the announcer's booth!

Comment

Are you an SFU fan? I went to the CWU at SFU game and was pleased by how nice the stadium is, and how many fans showed up.
                    I am!

Canadian here, never went on to play at the university level but I played on the #1 ranked Canadian Highschool team in 2012/2013.

I follow U sports and SFU pretty closely, lots of friends and family members have played on both UBC and SFU.

Football in BC is unique in that its more influenced by the american game than the Canadian one. We play 4 down american rules in highschool here.

In fact in BC we often play exhibition games against teams from washington, oregon, and even hawaii. (The travel is cheaper than flying over the rockies to play other Canadian teams)

Im glad SFU finally has a decent facility, lots of the facilities in the Canadian University league are basic and very 70’s and 80’s feeling.

Im very excited for the Shrum bowl and hope some of the Americans on here can tune in.

And FYI Mr. Tube Steak is a staple of football culture in BC. Those hot dogs go down real good with a molson Canadian lager ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

LICENSED SEATING & CONCESSIONS
                      FOOD: Featuring Mr. Tube Steak and other food options
                      ALCOHOL: SFU Stadium has licensed seating sections and family areas. Food and beverage options will also be available in field level student sections

Just keep the alcohol out of the announcer's booth!
                      The drunk guy barging into the announcer's booth at the last Shrum Bowl was epic.

Comment

I am!

Canadian here, never went on to play at the university level but I played on the #1 ranked Canadian Highschool team in 2012/2013.

I follow U sports and SFU pretty closely, lots of friends and family members have played on both UBC and SFU.

Football in BC is unique in that its more influenced by the american game than the Canadian one. We play 4 down american rules in highschool here.

In fact in BC we often play exhibition games against teams from washington, oregon, and even hawaii. (The travel is cheaper than flying over the rockies to play other Canadian teams)

Im glad SFU finally has a decent facility, lots of the facilities in the Canadian University league are basic and very 70’s and 80’s feeling.

Im very excited for the Shrum bowl and hope some of the Americans on here can tune in.

And FYI Mr. Tube Steak is a staple of football culture in BC. Those hot dogs go down real good with a molson Canadian lager ;)
                        I think this may be the best second post ever in the history of the board...

Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

I think this may be the best second post ever in the history of the board...

Welcome!
                          I can see by your post that you never saw my second post! Thanks! ;>)

Comment

Im curious how this is going to be documented after the game, as I understand this is a real sanctioned bowl game under the NCAA?

so if UBC wins will they then be able to say they have an NCAA bowl game win? They would be not only the first Canadian team to win a Bowl Game but the first non-NCAA team to win one?

is this correct? Seems like a pretty interesting situation.

Comment

It's Shrum Bowl day!

Both pick'ems are sitting at 9 picks for one team, 8 for the other.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X