Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The LSC... Is it a has been?

Full disclosure.... I really didn't pay much attention this fall due to business and personal concerns. But I did watch a good bit of the Mines/Ferris State game and was not one bit impressed with Mines who beat Angelo two weeks before . And Angelo was supposed to be the cream of the crop in the LSC and favored to make the Championship.

So was Mines just off against Ferris Bueller State? Or was Save Ferris University that much better than Mines? Or did Angelo really stink up the joint in their game against Mines and as a result, it's a tell on the LSC as a whole?

My thinking is the LSC is on a downward trajectory quality wise and we might be where the RMAC was a decade or so ago. Why? Just throwing out the possibility with the increased numbers of FCS and FBS schools in Texas, it's sucking the air out of the old recruiting channels the Texas LSC schools (and ENM) used to rely on year in and year out for in-state talent.

Wasn't too long ago Ferris was getting beat by everyone and NWMSU was unstoppable. Things come and go. Angelo was a good team this year, but it didn't have a top QB or a dominant D-lineman and it still got close to the championship.

Comment

The two most successful LSC programs in recent years both moved up to D1. That has a lot to do with it, I think.

Comment

Probably several answers here.

Angelo $hit the bed and turned over the ball all over the place against Mines.

Watching Ferris I think Angelo would have possibly played them closer but would have lost.

Regarding the LSC:

The conference itself is substantially weaker. They have lost schools that made the playoffs consistently at different times (ACU, TAMUC, Tarleton).

Outside of Commerce winning the Natty and a couple of semifinal appearances (WT and Tarleton) its the same Ol song and dance. Most LSC champs that are hyped are usually slapped down to earth. First it was consistently by the MIAA (Mostly NWMSU), then Chadron for a couple of years, Minnesota State a couple of times, Pueblo in there once, and now Mines the last couple of years with Angelo.

Now you have essentially replaced ACU, IW, TAMUC, and Tarleton with Western New Mexico, UTPB, Simon Frazer, Central Washington, and Western Oregon.

I know making that move was essential to the LSC surviving but its a much weaker and mediocre league now especially since the second place team has 4 losses.

In the on-deck circle is Sul Ross and then probably another D3/NAIA school in waiting when the next school jumps.

The LSC will continue to get weaker until they are on the same level as the CIAA, PSAC, MEC, etc. where the LSC will send an 10-1 champ to get drilled in the opening game.

I hope I am wrong but I have a feeling at some point Angelo State, Midwestern State, UTPB, etc. will be the next to go D1.

When the next one goes they all will go.

It would be one thing if the LSC was trying to recruit Harding, Pueblo, UCO, etc.to replace the leaving schools.

I agree with an earlier post of yours that D2 in Texas is dying a slow death.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
          The two most successful LSC programs in recent years both moved up to D1. That has a lot to do with it, I think.
          Ya know I keep hearing about Tarleton & Commerce. Lmao.

Tarleton had TWO good seasons. Commerce had a few under Carthel including a Natty. Neither team has done anything since. Commerce was 7-4 their last season in the LSC. Hardly a juggernaut.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Ya know I keep hearing about Tarleton & Commerce. Lmao.

Tarleton had TWO good seasons. Commerce had a few under Carthel including a Natty. Neither team has done anything since. Commerce was 7-4 their last season in the LSC. Hardly a juggernaut.
            This post closely reflects what I was going to say.

The LSC is what it has always been. Tarleton essentially accomplished nothing. ACU was pretty good a couple of times but never complete. TAMUC got over the hump once for the LSC.

Angelo 2022 was a good as it’s ever been in the D2Football.com era

In my view, it’s WT and TAMUK that are negatively affecting the league in reality and in terms of perception. If they were both 80% of what they were at their best perception would be a lot different.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
              Probably several answers here.

Angelo $hit the bed and turned over the ball all over the place against Mines.

Watching Ferris I think Angelo would have possibly played them closer but would have lost.

Regarding the LSC:

The conference itself is substantially weaker. They have lost schools that made the playoffs consistently at different times (ACU, TAMUC, Tarleton).

Outside of Commerce winning the Natty and a couple of semifinal appearances (WT and Tarleton) its the same Ol song and dance. Most LSC champs that are hyped are usually slapped down to earth. First it was consistently by the MIAA (Mostly NWMSU), then Chadron for a couple of years, Minnesota State a couple of times, Pueblo in there once, and now Mines the last couple of years with Angelo.

Now you have essentially replaced ACU, IW, TAMUC, and Tarleton with Western New Mexico, UTPB, Simon Frazer, Central Washington, and Western Oregon.

I know making that move was essential to the LSC surviving but its a much weaker and mediocre league now especially since the second place team has 4 losses.

In the on-deck circle is Sul Ross and then probably another D3/NAIA school in waiting when the next school jumps.

The LSC will continue to get weaker until they are on the same level as the CIAA, PSAC, MEC, etc. where the LSC will send an 10-1 champ to get drilled in the opening game.

I hope I am wrong but I have a feeling at some point Angelo State, Midwestern State, UTPB, etc. will be the next to go D1.

When the next one goes they all will go.

It would be one thing if the LSC was trying to recruit Harding, Pueblo, UCO, etc.to replace the leaving schools.

I agree with an earlier post of yours that D2 in Texas is dying a slow death.

When did Tarleton and Commerce make rhe playoffs consistently????? Maybe my definition of consistently and yours differ.

Like WT, Commerce was only good with a Carthel as HC.

Tarleton went to play-offs five times but not consistently - '01, '03, '09, '18, '19.

Commerce went to play-offs '15-'19 (Carthel years and 1 Carthel carry-over year).

Now, ACU had a nice run in the LSC with 6 straight play-off appearances '06-'11.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

This post closely reflects what I was going to say.

The LSC is what it has always been. Tarleton essentially accomplished nothing. ACU was pretty good a couple of times but never complete. TAMUC got over the hump once for the LSC.

Angelo 2022 was a good as it’s ever been in the D2Football.com era

In my view, it’s WT and TAMUK that are negatively affecting the league in reality and in terms of perception. If they were both 80% of what they were at their best perception would be a lot different.
                Yep fair point and I agree with most of your comments.

The LSC is a much weaker version than it was 10 years ago.

In Non-Conference play the top 2-3 of the LSC teams could play with and beat any team in D2 during the late 2000s and early 2010s.

You can't say that now outside Angelo State.

All things equal yep the LSC is still the same playoff busts outside Commerce.

Never thought I would see the RMAC consistently beat out the LSC schools in the regional championships more times than not.

Comment

When did Tarleton and Commerce make rhe playoffs consistently????? Maybe my definition of consistently and yours differ.

Like WT, Commerce was only good with a Carthel as HC.

Tarleton went to play-offs five times but not consistently - '01, '03, '09, '18, '19.

Commerce went to play-offs '15-'19 (Carthel years and 1 Carthel carry-over year).

Now, ACU had a nice run in the LSC with 6 straight play-off appearances '06-'11.
                  Consistently with Tarleton and Commerce recently until their move up to D1.

I think its fair to say that they would still be challenging for the playoffs if they were still in D2.

Comment

Consistently with Tarleton and Commerce recently until their move up to D1.

I think its fair to say that they would still be challenging for the playoffs if they were still in D2.
                    Doubtful as Todd Whitten would have never taken HC job if they weren't moving to FCS.

TAMUC was already dropping their final LSC season reflected in 7-4 record.

Comment

Yep fair point and I agree with most of your comments.

The LSC is a much weaker version than it was 10 years ago.

In Non-Conference play the top 2-3 of the LSC teams could play with and beat any team in D2 during the late 2000s and early 2010s.

You can't say that now outside Angelo State.

All things equal yep the LSC is still the same playoff busts outside Commerce.

Never thought I would see the RMAC consistently beat out the LSC schools in the regional championships more times than not.
                      10 years ago..... 2013 season.

I don't think there is much difference between now and then minus the fact that WT isn't as good. I think you're romanticizing the past. Flip WT back to a national contender and the league is almost identical.

Are you sure that you're not judging the league based upon a composite of each team when it was at its height?

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                        Full disclosure.... I really didn't pay much attention this fall due to business and personal concerns. But I did watch a good bit of the Mines/Ferris State game and was not one bit impressed with Mines who beat Angelo two weeks before . And Angelo was supposed to be the cream of the crop in the LSC and favored to make the Championship.

So was Mines just off against Ferris Bueller State? Or was Save Ferris University that much better than Mines? Or did Angelo really stink up the joint in their game against Mines and as a result, it's a tell on the LSC as a whole?

My thinking is the LSC is on a downward trajectory quality wise and we might be where the RMAC was a decade or so ago. Why? Just throwing out the possibility with the increased numbers of FCS and FBS schools in Texas, it's sucking the air out of the old recruiting channels the Texas LSC schools (and ENM) used to rely on year in and year out for in-state talent.
                        Seeing a school like Mines have a significant number of Texas players, including Matocha…could it also be that there are out of state programs along with the Texas D1’s keeping players out of the LSC?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

10 years ago..... 2013 season.

I don't think there is much difference between now and then minus the fact that WT isn't as good. I think you're romanticizing the past. Flip WT back to a national contender and the league is almost identical.

Are you sure that you're not judging the league based upon a composite of each team when it was at its height?
                          B I N G O

Y A H T Z E E

Entire post is SPOT ON!

Exactly my thoughts but could not word it better!!

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

Seeing a school like Mines have a significant number of Texas players, including Matocha…could it also be that there are out of state programs along with the Texas D1’s keeping players out of the LSC?
                            Absolutely!!! DII recruiting is stuck in a paradigm. Same ol same ol. TERRIBLE RECRUTING!

I know two Mines players that WANTED to stay in Texas, but Mines out-recruited every Texas DII and 2 FCS programs. SMDH

In another post I stated not much separation between FCS and DII in Texas. The main difference is # of funded schollies. Both go after basically the SAME players. FCS winds up with better depth.

Comment

Absolutely!!! DII recruiting is stuck in a paradigm. Same ol same ol. TERRIBLE RECRUTING!

I know two Mines players that WANTED to stay in Texas, but Mines out-recruited every Texas DII and 2 FCS programs. SMDH

In another post I stated not much separation between FCS and DII in Texas. The main difference is # of funded schollies. Both go after basically the SAME players. FCS winds up with better depth.
                              CSM is a great school. I don't think it's ever a wrong choice to go there.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X