Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    Read this article today re: TCU and their concentration on TX for recruiting. I think their approach works well for what they do; identify talent and potential, then concentrate on developing it.

I think this has been a staple for CWU and their program. They get a lot of 185 pound HS LBs that turn in to solid defensive players later. I think this TCU approach could be a big thing for the non PNW and NM teams in the LSC...

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...otball-playoff
    It was Patterson's approach when he was there. He was a Pitt guy, and the former Pitt staff talked about getting that exact advice from him. Not the TX part, but the "get the best athletes you can, regardless of position, and develop them." Part

Comment

Read this article today re: TCU and their concentration on TX for recruiting. I think their approach works well for what they do; identify talent and potential, then concentrate on developing it.

I think this has been a staple for CWU and their program. They get a lot of 185 pound HS LBs that turn in to solid defensive players later. I think this TCU approach could be a big thing for the non PNW and NM teams in the LSC...

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...otball-playoff
      That was the point of success for ENMU for years. Our winningest QB came from an 8 man school. Several all conference players came from 1,2, and 3A schools.

As far as the Riley's go they are from Muleshoe TX.
      I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Junior Tennis is even worse than Select/Elite/Fill in the Blank youth travel baseball.

some parents send their kids to live at Academies and home school. Newks Tennis in New Braunfels uses the local HS. Players train every day and do three tournaments a month.
        Haha you got that right.

I played high school tennis at Tascosa and would only get lessons every now and then because at the time my parents were too poor to send me to places like that.

Even with the lack of those resources I was able to play the top 2 spots my junior and senior year.

You could tell who the academy kids were when they would show up with their fancy clothes and a tennis bag that carried their whole bedroom set.

I would go visit my Dad every summer in Corpus Christi and play the Championship major zone tournaments when I was a kid.

They matched me up one year with a kid that was the son of a tennis instructor down there and he was top 10 in the state.

I beat the $hit out of him in 45 minutes. He broke about 2 rackets in anger and his Mom mouthed off within earshot of my Dad that she couldnt believe he lost to someone that used a poor mans graphite racket. Haha.

I have several friends (myself included) that were basically self-taught and went on to great high school and coaching careers.

One of my best friends and another great friend of mine Recently won state Championships at Amarillo High and Hereford and it was awesome watching them take down programs in the bigger city areas. Randall also won state recently as well.

Enough of that. Back to the LSC discussion. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Haha you got that right.

I played high school tennis at Tascosa and would only get lessons every now and then because at the time my parents were too poor to send me to places like that.

Even with the lack of those resources I was able to play the top 2 spots my junior and senior year.

You could tell who the academy kids were when they would show up with their fancy clothes and a tennis bag that carried their whole bedroom set.

I would go visit my Dad every summer in Corpus Christi and play the Championship major zone tournaments when I was a kid.

They matched me up one year with a kid that was the son of a tennis instructor down there and he was top 10 in the state.

I beat the $hit out of him in 45 minutes. He broke about 2 rackets in anger and his Mom mouthed off within earshot of my Dad that she couldnt believe he lost to someone that used a poor mans graphite racket. Haha.

I have several friends (myself included) that were basically self-taught and went on to great high school and coaching careers.

One of my best friends and another great friend of mine Recently won state Championships at Amarillo High and Hereford and it was awesome watching them take down programs in the bigger city areas. Randall also won state recently as well.

My son-in-law was pretty good HS soccer goalie, multi-all district and all-region at Denton. Also all-district centerfielder in baseball. Played soccer at Texas State till injured. He never played on a travel team because when he wasn't playing HS soccer he was playing HS baseball. And his parents could have bought their own travel club. Ha! They didn't believe in the travel-club system and hated the environment and parents involved.

My son-in-law has often stated that the US will never win a FIFA because of the travel-club system in this country. It excludes too many great athletes from the soccer pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

My son-in-law was pretty good HS soccer goalie, multi-all district and all-region at Denton. Also all-district centerfielder in baseball. Played soccer at Texas State till injured. He never played on a travel team because when he wasn't playing HS soccer he was playing HS baseball. And his parents could have bought their own travel club. Ha! They didn't believe in the travel-club system and hated the environment and parents involved.

My son-in-law has often stated that the US will never win a FIFA because of the travel-club system in this country. It excludes too many great athletes from the soccer pitch.
            I completely agree. If the USA's best athletes played soccer they would be #1 in the world every year and it wouldn't be even close.

Think of all the most agile fastest offensive/defensive guys in the NFL, NBA, and track and add to that some kickers like Justin Tucker with a leg for a striker.

Hell put someone in goalie like Aaron Judge

Comment

I completely agree. If the USA's best athletes played soccer they would be #1 in the world every year and it wouldn't be even close.

Think of all the most agile fastest offensive/defensive guys in the NFL, NBA, and track and add to that some kickers like Justin Tucker with a leg for a striker.

Hell put someone in goalie like Aaron Judge
              If Lionel Messi, Kylian Mbappe, and Neymar had been born in the US, do you think they would have played soccer?

I think we get a lot of great athletes into soccer in the US. The point with mentioning Mbappe, Neymar and Messi is that they are incredibly gifted soccer players, but because of their smaller size they might have been pushed out of by "better athletes". It isn't that we don't have the athletes in this country; certainly there are athletes like Judge and others that would have been great futbolers. We have tremendous talent on the USMNT and USWNT.

I do agree that club soccer is the bane of the total US program.

Comment

Haha you got that right.

It's interesting we've focused on three sports on this thread and they all have common traits. All are being heavily club influenced. And all are not producing the best athletes in that sport . Look at baseball and the number of foreign born players that dominate starting rosters across the MLB. Tennis? Who was the last US stud male tennis player to be a regular at the Grand Slam events? Soccer? Because it's still kind a new sport in the USA on the Pro level compared to the others, but because the colleges at least on the Men's side lack the soccer infrastructure, the clubs have taken over that spot by recruiting them early too while they are in high school and barely. It's different on the women's side thanks to most major and small colleges having women's soccer as one of their primary sports thus the schollie money follows.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

It's interesting we've focused on three sports on this thread and they all have common traits. All are being heavily club influenced. And all are not producing the best athletes in that sport . Look at baseball and the number of foreign born players that dominate starting rosters across the MLB. Tennis? Who was the last US stud male tennis player to be a regular at the Grand Slam events? Soccer? Because it's still kind a new sport in the USA on the Pro level compared to the others, but because the colleges at least on the Men's side lack the soccer infrastructure, the clubs have taken over that spot by recruiting them early too while they are in high school and barely. It's different on the women's side thanks to most major and small colleges having women's soccer as one of their primary sports thus the schollie money follows.
                  My opinion only but when Andre Agassi retired that was the slow death of USA men's tennis.

He had the personality in 2 different times in his career to carry interest and an audience.

Andy Roddick tried but he didn't have the personality or the talent to sustain it long term.

It will be interesting if Women's Tennis continues to sustain that end of it when both of the William's sisters walk away.

Comment

If Lionel Messi, Kylian Mbappe, and Neymar had been born in the US, do you think they would have played soccer?

I think we get a lot of great athletes into soccer in the US. The point with mentioning Mbappe, Neymar and Messi is that they are incredibly gifted soccer players, but because of their smaller size they might have been pushed out of by "better athletes". It isn't that we don't have the athletes in this country; certainly there are athletes like Judge and others that would have been great futbolers. We have tremendous talent on the USMNT and USWNT.

I do agree that club soccer is the bane of the total US program.
                    Valid questions and points.

You can go both ways in those discussions in a vicious circle.

Comment

Valid questions and points.

You can go both ways in those discussions in a vicious circle.
                      This is a nice take from Zlatan.

https://www.newsweek.com/zlatan-ibra...ld-cup-1475780

Comment

My opinion only but when Andre Agassi retired that was the slow death of USA men's tennis.

He had the personality in 2 different times in his career to carry interest and an audience.

Andy Roddick tried but he didn't have the personality or the talent to sustain it long term.

It will be interesting if Women's Tennis continues to sustain that end of it when both of the William's sisters walk away.
                        I have never cared for tennis, but bitd, there were definitely some personalities and rivalries that made it worth watching. Johnny Mac, Connors, Borg, Lendl.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

I have never cared for tennis, but bitd, there were definitely some personalities and rivalries that made it worth watching. Johnny Mac, Connors, Borg, Lendl.
                          Those were definitely the glory days of the sport on both the women’s and men’s side. Wimbledon was actually very entertaining to watch during those summer days. Didn’t mind them preempting Letterman and Carson for the highlight show on NBC either.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

That was the point of success for ENMU for years. Our winningest QB came from an 8 man school. Several all conference players came from 1,2, and 3A schools.

As far as the Riley's go they are from Muleshoe TX.
                            That’s not a bad strategy if you have the coaches who can develop it and players willing to be developed and stick around to trust the process instead of rushing to the transfer portal. Some of these four or five stars get it in their heads they know it all and become uncoachable. Then what looks like a stellar class looks like a flop three or four years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

One of my all time favorite tennis matches was a couple of years ago at the Australian Open between Djokovic and Monfils. The heat must have been brutal and Monfils looked like he was high or drunk with delirium. McEnroe was announcing in his usual smart Azz tone. I was laughing so hard my stomach muscles were starting to hurt. Both guys looked like they were trying to play after just finishing a marathon run. Great entertainment even though the level of tennis was well … not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

That’s not a bad strategy if you have the coaches who can develop it and players willing to be developed and stick around to trust the process instead of rushing to the transfer portal. Some of these four or five stars get it in their heads they know it all and become uncoachable. Then what looks like a stellar class looks like a flop three or four years later.
                                These 4 and 5 star recruits now have the transfer portal at their disposal. They may not stick around if things don’t go their way. Seems they get picked up fast once they enter the portal. Developing players may be the better option as their options are limited.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X