Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

These 4 and 5 star recruits now have the transfer portal at their disposal. They may not stick around if things don’t go their way. Seems they get picked up fast once they enter the portal. Developing players may be the better option as their options are limited.
    I wonder how long the transfer portal thing as we know it will last? I have a gut feeling sometime in the next few years some serious adjustments are going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

I wonder how long the transfer portal thing as we know it will last? I have a gut feeling sometime in the next few years some serious adjustments are going to happen.
      I think too many court cases have already been won for it to.change much.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

It's interesting we've focused on three sports on this thread and they all have common traits. All are being heavily club influenced. And all are not producing the best athletes in that sport . Look at baseball and the number of foreign born players that dominate starting rosters across the MLB. Tennis? Who was the last US stud male tennis player to be a regular at the Grand Slam events? Soccer? Because it's still kind a new sport in the USA on the Pro level compared to the others, but because the colleges at least on the Men's side lack the soccer infrastructure, the clubs have taken over that spot by recruiting them early too while they are in high school and barely. It's different on the women's side thanks to most major and small colleges having women's soccer as one of their primary sports thus the schollie money follows.
        I was in ODP, Olympic Development Program, for soccer in like 6th grade. Even at that age it was 100% political. It's not at all a surprise that US soccer has not found success as I'm not sure much has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

I think too many court cases have already been won for it to.change much.
          You are probably correct. I looked back at some articles on the transfer portal and the litigation leading to that change kind of got lost in the coverage leading up the NIL. The NCAA and it's membership which are the same school now belly aching about all this could've very well been ahead of all of this to where they would've set the rules instead of the courts.

Comment

I heard Sul Ross got the votes to move up. Anyone heard anything?

Comment

Originally posted by QB11111 View Post
              I heard yhe same, but they lost their OC Brad Wilson. He accepted OC position at Howard Payne.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

I heard yhe same, but they lost their OC Brad Wilson. He accepted OC position at Howard Payne.
                Hopefully they get someone good!

Travel down to alpine will be interesting for the GNAC Teams.

Comment

Originally posted by QB11111 View Post
                  Dan Blocker who played Hoss on Bonanza played football for Sul Ross and was a member of their undefeated 1948 team and a Tangerine Bowl participant.

Comment

On Thursday, the Texas State University System voted unanimously to allow Sul Ross State to execute a move to Division II and to the Lone Star Conference (LSC). Sul Ross State is currently a member of the ASC but was a member of the LSC from 1950 to 1976. They joined the ASC as a founding member back in 1996.

My understanding is that the process has started but that there are still more hurdles to clear before anything becomes official but once you start this ball rolling, it’s pretty much a done deal. The LSC has a number of teams in western Texas so it makes more sense for Sul Ross State logistically.

From the web site of Sul Ross. It was posted back in late November.

Comment

• Originally posted by QB11111 View Post

Hopefully they get someone good!

Travel down to alpine will be interesting for the GNAC Teams.
                      Not near as bad as WNM. They can fly into Odessa or El Paso and bus to Alpine. Not that unseal for DII

Comment

• Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Dan Blocker who played Hoss on Bonanza played football for Sul Ross and was a member of their undefeated 1948 team and a Tangerine Bowl participant.
                        I met Dan Blocker as an 8 year old kid living in El Paso. 1960. Playing Optimist League FB, our 2 coaches were FBI agents (and former college FB players). One of them was a friend of Blocker and invited him to practice. Cool to shake his hand and share a hot dog after practice. I never missed a Bonanza after that.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I met Dan Blocker as an 8 year old kid living in El Paso. 1960. Playing Optimist League FB, our 2 coaches were FBI agents (and former college FB players). One of them was a friend of Blocker and invited him to practice. Cool to shake his hand and share a hot dog after practice. I never missed a Bonanza after that.
                          Dan was a good guy, pretty much everyone loved him. It's a shame he died so young.

The only celebrity I met as a kid was Robert Conrad. I was in 5th grade and nearly as tall as him. I was shocked!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X