Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post

If you see mediocre academic standards as a good thing, more power to you.
    I didn't call Sul Ross the Harvard of West Texas. I said they are in a position to potentially compete in the LSC.

Comment

Last time I have checked in my 30+ years of playing and coaching at any level I have never seen a coach counsel a player about carrying a C average or worry about them graduating with a 2.1 GPA.

Comment

Originally posted by anchorup19 View Post

UMHB and HSU would both finish top 3 in the LSC every single year. UMHB hasn’t lost a regular season game to a team not named HSU since 2009. HSU is 44-7 in conference play with 2 losses to conference teams not named UMHB since 2015. If you’re judging a team based on how they do against the purple and gold teams in the ASC, you’re looking at the wrong things. The only other blowout loss was in their first game with a new HC to a team whose only loss came to UMHB.
        UMHB and HSU have a business model that wouldn't work in Division 2 at all. They both offer almost unlimited "non-athletic" (haha) scholarships. The enrollments of both of the schools are mostly athletes. The curriculums of the schools are dumbed down to pass and graduate them all. This model only works if you are private and D3.

These are "schools" in name only. Really they are just places called schools for athletes to ball, with essentially zero academic accountability. Been that way for a while. The entire enterprises are a charade. You can toss in East Texas Baptist and Howard Payne, too. That is why the real schools in the conference, such as McMurry and Sul Ross, are leaving the ASC.
        Last edited by Herb Street; 01-20-2023, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Interesting.
          I'd prefer to see CWU and WOU go back to being independents rather than abandon SFU. SFU competes well in the GNAC in other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by anchorup19 View Post

UMHB and HSU would both finish top 3 in the LSC every single year. UMHB hasn’t lost a regular season game to a team not named HSU since 2009. HSU is 44-7 in conference play with 2 losses to conference teams not named UMHB since 2015. If you’re judging a team based on how they do against the purple and gold teams in the ASC, you’re looking at the wrong things. The only other blowout loss was in their first game with a new HC to a team whose only loss came to UMHB.

Here are several reasons Sul Ross will have the ability to compete in the LSC:
            1. They’re the least expensive 4 year school in Texas. Add in partial scholarships and very few schools will be able to compete financially.
            2. They have a wide range of graduate programs. They’ll be able to attract grad transfers much easier than some lender places.
            3. The academic requirements to get in are very manageable. As long as a kid is in the top 50% of his high school class, he gets automatic acceptance. Grad programs only require a 2.5 undergrad GPA. This will let them recruit some kids that the competition won’t be able to touch.
            4. This coaching staff has always shown their ability to recruit at a much higher level than previous regimes. There were 6 D1 dropdowns on the roster in 2022. Purely in terms of numbers, the Lobos are recruiting much better than they had in the past. 127 players on the roster in 2022, 46 more than there were on the roster in 2019.

I can’t say with any certainty that Sul Ross is gonna be winning the LSC in the near future, but there’s a lot more working in their favor than you would think just by looking at how they fared playing as a D3 school playing against schools that play by a different set of rules.
            Negative: Sul Ross is 130 miles away from the closest Whataburger. That will kill recruiting in D2.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Negative: Sul Ross is 130 miles away from the closest Whataburger. That will kill recruiting in D2.
              But Alpine has a Krispy Krunchy Chicken and an Uncle’s

Comment

Overrated garbage just like every other hyped up fast food chain.

Comment

What an obtuse and privileged post.

Kids do poorly in high school for many reasons and D2 can allow them opportunities to atone for that poor performance. My best friend went through difficulties growing up that no kid should, he would have gone D1 had he been able to focus on school rather than where he was going to find his next meal or where he was going to sleep that night. He wound up at Pueblo, was highly successful, and is making 6 figures now.

Funny coming from a fan of a school with over a 70% acceptance rate though, stop pretending like Angelo is tough to get into.

Comment

Only one school with a Whataburger in the city limits has won a championship. The odds indicate avoiding it.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Overrated garbage just like every other hyped up fast food chain.

I take most of your posts with a grain of salt, but you have now officially crossed the line.
                      Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

What's wrong with having 11 teams in the conference? And having teams play 8-9 other conference teams and 2-3 non-conference games. The Big 10 has like 20 teams here soon.

Comment

Just looked at their sandlot stadium Jackson Field on Google Maps. They have some work to do. Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

What an obtuse and privileged post.

Kids do poorly in high school for many reasons and D2 can allow them opportunities to atone for that poor performance. My best friend went through difficulties growing up that no kid should, he would have gone D1 had he been able to focus on school rather than where he was going to find his next meal or where he was going to sleep that night. He wound up at Pueblo, was highly successful, and is making 6 figures now.

Funny coming from a fan of a school with over a 70% acceptance rate though, stop pretending like Angelo is tough to get into.
                            I was referencing Gard school requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Only one school with a Whataburger in the city limits has won a championship. The odds indicate avoiding it.
                              I wish they would all go away around me so my waistline could get a break. That double meat with cheese and jalapenos leaves all other fast food burgers in the dust. Their ketchup is the best I have ever had

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

I take most of your posts with a grain of salt, but you have now officially crossed the line.
                                Garbage fast food is garbage fast food. Whataburger, In n Out, all the same greasy garbage that people argue about for some reason.

It had to be said I'm sorry.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X