Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

How dare they they try and survive in a world that has clearly failed to have wages keep up with inflation for decades. Who do you think is working those fast food jobs during the day when you all run to grab your greasy azz Whataburger? Surely can't be high school kids, they should be in school. That's always the argument, right? Those jobs aren't meant for adults and they don't require a living wage? This attitude never ceases to baffle me no how many times it is ignorantly shared.

Why don't we have you list the jobs out that you don't think deserve to survive in this country by working one full-time job and you be sure to not go use any of them for a month. Deal?
    I got the student loan relief forgiven through PSLF.

Disclaimer: I paid off the original loan. The BS 30k interest accrued was forgiven.

Now I need to look into mortgage relief. :D

Comment

How dare they they try and survive in a world that has clearly failed to have wages keep up with inflation for decades. Who do you think is working those fast food jobs during the day when you all run to grab your greasy azz Whataburger? Surely can't be high school kids, they should be in school. That's always the argument, right? Those jobs aren't meant for adults and they don't require a living wage? This attitude never ceases to baffle me no how many times it is ignorantly shared.

Why don't we have you list the jobs out that you don't think deserve to survive in this country by working one full-time job and you be sure to not go use any of them for a month. Deal?
      To a point but talk to the peeps responsible for jacking up single family homes to 250k, apartment rent to 2k, and groceries 1K-2K a month.

Comment

• Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

I know some kids (now young men and women in their early 20's) when they graduated from high school were already making $50K or more because they got their welding and advanced welding certs as part of their high school trades course track. The kids were handed their certs and the senior award ceremonies and the instructor made sure to let it be known what they were earning in real time and this is WITHOUT even officially having their high school diploma in hand. I know many of the welders down here who either work with the refining industries or out in the oil field do side work too or hobbies like building BBQ pits and are easily pushing $100k or more. Me while I was sitting in that auditorium a few years ago? Where can I sign up? Can I be like Rodney Dangerfield and go back to school? LOL!

To top it off those kids got that training at a very small and almost insignificant cost it would have been to go to a four year to get a BA and then a Grad degree. And they got help after they graduated with some start up cost to buy their own rigs and equipment manly on the used and auction markets. What a fricken deal!
        And those welders get the privilege, if Biden has his way, of paying taxes so "super-privileged" college goers can have their (voluntary and legally binding) student debts forgiven. Pretty bad deal for the welders.

But, where do I get a refund for the $20,000 I paid to send my son thru WT and the $40,000 I paid for my daughter to graduate from Southwestern University (Georgetown, Tx) and she had a $30,000 a year theater scholarship. Before anyone gets to put their future student loan obligation in the trash.......I want my $60,000 college money already paid out back!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

THANK YOU!!!

That's real life.

I have a VP make 200k + who never attended a day of college. I have 3 employees who received medical training in sonography from a trade school making 6 figures working 30 hours a week. None attended college. I can keep going, but point made.

If one considers success "financial success", then I could list dozens upon dozens of people I know who are millionaires that never attended college.

College does not equal success. Success is based on the individual and their desire to succeed. PERIOD.

Just the other day, I am interviewing for a position. Normal starting wage with 5 years experience is around $70k. A person comes with a degree but zero experience. They want in Healthcare very badly and I am will to hire a real go getter with no experience. They are baducally begging for a shot. I asked this recent grads salary requirements, he said at a minimum $135k. I BUSTED.....laughed so loud and it was not a fake laugh, I was hysterical. It was so out of character and unprofessional of me, but I simply could not help contain myself. I literally had to leave the room as I could barely breathe, had tears streaming and was just hysterical.

I love how significant some people in this world think they are. I giggle at how very important some younger generations think they are and the outrageous self-worth they place on themselves.

This is the fault of Baby-Boomers.....and made worse with each generation after. I tried telling the Texas Youth Football Association to stop giving trophies out to anyone other than the Champions. I complained to the parents to stop making arm tunnels for kids to run through after a game, especially when they lose. I tried to explain that the players are EXPECTED to win games. That is their job. So, please stop trying to reward them for doing their job. The players reward will come when they win the Championship and know they did their best. That's reward enough. H3ll, I don't even like Championship trophies or awards.

Sorry for my rant....🤣
          I have an undergrad and grad degree and only used them for roughly three years and started a completely different line of work self employed. I had a professor tell me its not the degree its what you do with it. For me college taught me to think outside the box. I had better teachers in HS for Math, English and Science. Quality people have long left ISDs in Texas for better opportunities IMHO.

But others get through the woods different ways. I do believe education helps you in dealing with situations and people better than not having an education. Knowledge is paramount. My Dad used to say if you think getting an education is hard try being dumb for a while.

Comment

So much this. I find it hilarious when boomers complain about the "everyone gets a trophy" generation without realizing THEY are who created that. Millennials didn't give themselves participation trophies as they grew up lol.
            I'm a Boomer. Born in 1952. There weren't any participation trophies in our household. We taught our kids to suck it up when they screwed the pooch. We encouraged them 100%. However, I was always brutal with the truth. When my daughter had a sorry-ass basketball game or my son shot an 80 in a golf tournament, I gave them honest appraisals of their performances. It can be done constructively and with positivity. And when they did good I congratulated them but reminded them they could always do better.

Now, today, I have a 5 year old grandson (and a 7mo one, too!). When he visits Grandpa is held to a high bar of behavior. Mom and Dad are pretty strict, but Grandpa expects a lot more "spit and polish." Like I grew up with my Army Sgt. father. It's called discipline. It ain't gonna hurt 'em.

Last Aug I had my grandson in WT BB camp. He was barely 5 playing with 6-8 year old boys. The 2nd day, he started pouting (on the sideline), all sulled up, when he thought he was being left out by the coaches. Instead of going over and consoling him and his hurt feelings.......I told him to get his water and bag and let's go (if that's the way you're going to act). He thought about it. A minute later he was back out on the court going like blazes. Not much after that he and a 7 year old won the 2 on 2 competition to everyone's surprise (and his delight). Ha! No participation trophies in this Boomer's camp.

Comment

• So... how 'bout those Sul Ross State Lobos, huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                So... how 'bout those Sul Ross State Lobos, huh?
                Need to reach out to that huge fan base and get them over here on the board.

Comment

• Take the political talk to the OT please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                    Take the political talk to the OT please.
                    That'll shut down any political discussion. Ha! Only the same old Leftists troll there anymore. They ran off most everyone else with there pedantic hatred.. Purgatory must be a lot like the OT.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

That'll shut down any political discussion. Ha! Only the same old Leftists troll there anymore. They ran off most everyone else with there pedantic hatred.. Purgatory must be a lot like the OT.
                      It's really boring now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                        Take the political talk to the OT please.
                        Can you give me access again?

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Can you give me access again?
                          You're good to go again.

I did something and accidentally removed access for a lot of people.

Comment

• Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

I know some kids (now young men and women in their early 20's) when they graduated from high school were already making $50K or more because they got their welding and advanced welding certs as part of their high school trades course track. The kids were handed their certs and the senior award ceremonies and the instructor made sure to let it be known what they were earning in real time and this is WITHOUT even officially having their high school diploma in hand. I know many of the welders down here who either work with the refining industries or out in the oil field do side work too or hobbies like building BBQ pits and are easily pushing $100k or more. Me while I was sitting in that auditorium a few years ago? Where can I sign up? Can I be like Rodney Dangerfield and go back to school? LOL!

To top it off those kids got that training at a very small and almost insignificant cost it would have been to go to a four year to get a BA and then a Grad degree. And they got help after they graduated with some start up cost to buy their own rigs and equipment manly on the used and auction markets. What a fricken deal!
                            BINGO! Exactly my point!

Our university educational system is a joke!! College grads waiting on me at restaurants, washing my vehicles, and they make a mean cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Comment

So much this. I find it hilarious when boomers complain about the "everyone gets a trophy" generation without realizing THEY are who created that. Millennials didn't give themselves participation trophies as they grew up lol.
                              AND made worse by following generations.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

AND made worse by following generations.
                                I'm not seeing it much anymore and I work in youth athletics. If anything, it's more cutthroat with very expensive and exclusive travel teams. I think the AAU/Tournament ball (especially basketball and baseball) has taken the fun out of sports. Kids often won't play sports unless they're in a uniform and a parent is nearby coaching them. I don't care about the trophies, I want the fun back in sports, pickup basketball at the park, sandlot baseball, football at the neighborhood field. No trophies, no parents, no uniforms, and no four-figure fees to pay the local businessman as coach.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X