Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to ratchet down the bragging that we walked 10 miles in 10 feet of snow to school, had the hardest job, I was the world's best dad because I did this (and we apparently did not do these things), my friend Joe X didn't go to college and he's a zillionaire. I haven't seen this much bragging since elementary school. Some of us liked college and it served us well, some of us didn't go or our friends didn't go and that's OK, too. If people hate college so much, it's kind of odd to go on a college sports board and complain about college. But we get it: You're the hardest worker and best dad that ever lived ... now please, enough!

Comment

• Originally posted by tsull View Post
      Is it possible to ratchet down the bragging that we walked 10 miles in 10 feet of snow to school, had the hardest job, I was the world's best dad because I did this (and we apparently did not do these things), my friend Joe X didn't go to college and he's a zillionaire. I haven't seen this much bragging since elementary school. Some of us liked college and it served us well, some of us didn't go or our friends didn't go and that's OK, too. If people hate college so much, it's kind of odd to go on a college sports board and complain about college. But we get it: You're the hardest worker and best dad that ever lived ... now please, enough!
      tsull, look at the majority of posters on this conference. They are texans. They just cannot help themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
        Brandon why all of a sudden are posts/topics being "policed". Nothing I read on this thread endangered anyone or sounded threatening to anyone. Nothing appeared to be an anti "woke" (of you will) comment either.

Other than hijacking a thread, which happens on every thread, I don't see an issue.

I guess I am a little slow. Can you please enlighten me.

Thanks.
        Hijacking happens all the time.

Political bull**** goes from 0-1,000 really quick so I keep it out of here for the most part. There is some spillover from OT to out here. The OT is not moderated, but I don't want that crap out here.

It's really just to clean things up.

I understand the downside of the decision to keep it in there.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I'm a Boomer. Born in 1952. There weren't any participation trophies in our household. We taught our kids to suck it up when they screwed the pooch. We encouraged them 100%. However, I was always brutal with the truth. When my daughter had a sorry-ass basketball game or my son shot an 80 in a golf tournament, I gave them honest appraisals of their performances. It can be done constructively and with positivity. And when they did good I congratulated them but reminded them they could always do better.

Now, today, I have a 5 year old grandson (and a 7mo one, too!). When he visits Grandpa is held to a high bar of behavior. Mom and Dad are pretty strict, but Grandpa expects a lot more "spit and polish." Like I grew up with my Army Sgt. father. It's called discipline. It ain't gonna hurt 'em.

Last Aug I had my grandson in WT BB camp. He was barely 5 playing with 6-8 year old boys. The 2nd day, he started pouting (on the sideline), all sulled up, when he thought he was being left out by the coaches. Instead of going over and consoling him and his hurt feelings.......I told him to get his water and bag and let's go (if that's the way you're going to act). He thought about it. A minute later he was back out on the court going like blazes. Not much after that he and a 7 year old won the 2 on 2 competition to everyone's surprise (and his delight). Ha! No participation trophies in this Boomer's camp.
          Great story but it's almost as if I didn't say every single boomer gave their kid a participation trophy. It is however when that started taking place in our society. Good for you for not doing so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Political bull**** goes from 0-1,000 really quick so I keep it out of here for the most part. There is some spillover from OT to out here. The OT is not moderated, but I don't want that crap out here.

So it wasn't a complaint from someone needing their safe space?

Comment

I have to agree, the OT is crap!

Comment

I never go to OT and don't really care to.

Maybe I don't view things as you do, but I do understand some people melt over comments they don't like. Personally, I don't believe in censorship outside of the basic standards i.e. obscene language, nudity, etc.

Again, I understand those that can't accept the fact that people CAN and DO have differing opinions. I think it's more about mutual respect and acceptance than it is the "politics. It's ok to have different political opinions. Fighting over it is not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

So it wasn't a complaint from someone needing their safe space?
                  BINGO

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Great story but it's almost as if I didn't say every single boomer gave their kid a participation trophy. It is however when that started taking place in our society. Good for you for not doing so.
                    Actually, participation trophies started with the hippie generation and blew-up with the Gen X. Gen Y (or the self proclaimed "Millenials") just magnified it. Instead of breaking the mold, it simply intensified.

Wait...is this a political discussion or a discussion about the change of sports & rewarding mediocre performance?

Comment

Is it possible to ratchet down the bragging that we walked 10 miles in 10 feet of snow to school, had the hardest job, I was the world's best dad because I did this (and we apparently did not do these things), my friend Joe X didn't go to college and he's a zillionaire. I haven't seen this much bragging since elementary school. Some of us liked college and it served us well, some of us didn't go or our friends didn't go and that's OK, too. If people hate college so much, it's kind of odd to go on a college sports board and complain about college. But we get it: You're the hardest worker and best dad that ever lived ... now please, enough!
                      This is how you learned to communicate? Okay.

I DID go to college. I went "ALL THE WAY", TWICE! I feel like I hold as many degrees as a thermometer. I had to have the specialized education to be a licensed professional. I attend two phenomenal universities and two okay university, and one junk university.

This all started over comments regarding opinions on the few decent DII universities out there. Someone got butt hurt. I brought up thst MOST, not all, universities are not good and the biggest scam. And I stick by that comment. I also stick by the opinion that our educational system,as a whole, is terrible.

When student from other countries are out performing "educated Americans" by leaps and bounds, we are FAILING ourselves and our children.

This is NOT POLITICAL to me, just facts based published world intellectual scores.

If you want to spend 30k+ in student loans....or have your parents or tax dollars pay the $30k+ for a Arts History, Liberal Arts, Communications, Philosophy, or dozens of other useless degrees, and you feel it betters the individual & society, GOD bless.

AND, the list I gave were a few of the richest men in the eorld who did not hold a single degree.

I say let's agree to disagree and kill this conversation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

tsull, look at the majority of posters on this conference. They are texans. They just cannot help themselves.
                        Can y'all please just find a NWAC-North West Athletic Conference so you don't have to be subjected to this torture? 😆

Comment

Can y'all please just find a NWAC-North West Athletic Conference so you don't have to be subjected to this torture? 😆
                          I have to agree. If you guys hate Texans you should not be in the Lonestar Conference!

Personally I don't hate any state.

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

I have to agree. If you guys hate Texans you should not be in the Lonestar Conference!

Personally I don't hate any state.
                            Don't hate Texans, hate bragging and I find that people who claim to be the best parent in the world and had the toughest childhood weren't the best parent and didn't have the toughest. I don't like it when Northwest people say it, when Texas people say it ... when anyone says it, because it's always not true.

Comment

I never go to OT and don't really care to.

Maybe I don't view things as you do, but I do understand some people melt over comments they don't like. Personally, I don't believe in censorship outside of the basic standards i.e. obscene language, nudity, etc.

Again, I understand those that can't accept the fact that people CAN and DO have differing opinions. I think it's more about mutual respect and acceptance than it is the "politics. It's ok to have different political opinions. Fighting over it is not.
                              It's more about my time and keeping things uncluttered.

I'm a free speech person.

Comment

Don't hate Texans, hate bragging and I find that people who claim to be the best parent in the world and had the toughest childhood weren't the best parent and didn't have the toughest. I don't like it when Northwest people say it, when Texas people say it ... when anyone says it, because it's always not true.
                                JESUS, you returned????

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X