Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Eastern Oregon Counties Vote to Join the State of Idaho

https://twitter.com/FrankDeScushin/s...tmlpid18734908

I know this is an old topic that was last discussed on the GNAC board. Most of us came to the conclusion this would never happen. Kinda crazy its happening. Eastern Oregon trying to secede from Oregon.

The only other time I can think of when a state was divided up was West Virginia breaking off from Virginia.

Comment

What most of those counties in Oregon don't understand is that they are a positive net recipient of taxes collected. More tax dollars are sent to the rural counties than the rural counties pay. Same in WA State, as it has a similar divide in west/east. It is also similar to most rural US states in regard to the receiving of Federal funds vs. what they pay in federal taxes. Idaho might not want to have these counties join because of this.

https://www.moneygeek.com/living/sta...al-government/

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
        The only other time I can think of when a state was divided up was West Virginia breaking off from Virginia.
        Texas Panhandle would try to secede from Texas in a heartbeat to get away from Austin politics.

Comment

Parts of Texas were siphoned off upon joining the United States. About 2/3 of current New Mexico territory, a decent amount of Colorado, smaller pieces of Oklahoma, Kansas and Wyoming.
          Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

There are people in some counties in Northern California way up by Oregon that want to separate and have brought it to a vote a few times (they want to become their own state called Jefferson), but it's never passed. A similar vote was tried in Florida to separate into two states, and it didn't pass. And this plan for parts of Oregon to join Idaho won't pass either.

Bugs Bunny had the right idea. :D

​​​​​​
            Last edited by crixus; 01-20-2023, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

Parts of Texas were siphoned off upon joining the United States. About 2/3 of current New Mexico territory, a decent amount of Colorado, smaller pieces of Oklahoma, Kansas and Wyoming.
              Texas, because it was a republic, could have been divided into as many as five states. During the Dust Bowl there was a movement to divide the state into east and west. Some people claim that Texas lost that right because of the Civil War.

Texas divisionism - Wikipedia

I once read that California could also divide itself but I don't know what clause there is supposed to be to support it without approval of Congress.

Partition and secession in California - Wikipedia

Comment

Grew up in Idaho, lived there and Oregon for a long time. A few things as noted here, Eastern Oregon's biggest city tops out at 20K, actually a little under. They won't admit it, but Portland/Eugene/Salem finances this whole area with their taxes, otherwise it's Syria.

Two, lived in Idaho when this measure was going on, I know a lot of people in North and South Idaho, conservative, liberal, independent, etc., NOT ONE wants Eastern Oregon to join Idaho. Every news article interviews residents of eastern Oregon and none in Idaho. No one in Idaho wants them. To quote a conservative friend of mine in Idaho, why don't they get their sh-t together and quit blaming other people for their failings?

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Texas Panhandle would try to secede from Texas in a heartbeat to get away from Austin politics.
                  I think everyone west of Lampasas (except Del Rio) would gladly join you.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Austin is a freak show no doubt. If you ever need to go to a show and don't want to pay anything just wonder around SICKth street in Austin Friday and Saturday evening. It will definitely leaving you shaking your head in disbelief.

Comment

Austin is a freak show no doubt. If you ever need to go to a show and don't want to pay anything just wonder around SICKth street in Austin Friday and Saturday evening. It will definitely leaving you shaking your head in disbelief.
                      Yeah I lived in Austin for 3 years right off of I-35 and E. Ben White in the mid 2010s.

Even during that time I saw the change for the worst.

You couldnt pay me enough money to hang out on 6th street anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post
                        I think everyone west of Lampasas (except Del Rio) would gladly join you.
                        Actually most of the Austin suburbs are still conservative but they are hanging by a string.

Round Rock, Buda, Bee Cave, Bastrop, and Lockhart used to be the places to get away from Austin stuff.

Now the Austinites have overrun those suburbs and peeps are now fleeing to Kyle, New Braunfels, Seguin, Giddings, and Georgetown.

Poor New Braunfels is caught in the middle with peeps from San Antonio and Austin converging there.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X