Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jayman View Post
    This is a big off-season for Coach Prock. He needs to bring in several athletic front-line players via the portal. #24 needs help and Boyd, despite her high school accolades, is unproven. We need depth that can play. Several schools in conferences had much more athletic front lines this past season.
    I do not disagree, however, the cupboard is not bare. Boyd has work to do in the offseason, she needs to report back in much better physical condition. Wt needs another post and at least one front-line player that is a 3-4 type. I would like to have a point guard. The last true point we had was Megan Gamble. (not counting Zam) IMHO, Karley, and Bree would be adequate point guards, but adequate won't get the job done in the LSC. Someone like Maddox from LCU would be great.

What I am hoping for, in this order, is an impact front-line player to replace LT. A solid backup post who is a defensive presence in the middle and a point guard with a high Basketball I.Q. IF we can add those parts we already have the needed depth. It would help to have improved shooting from 3-point range. There are a lot of good players in the portal, we just need to find good fits.
    Last edited by Great White Buffalo; 03-18-2023, 08:10 AM.
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

• Interesting article from Dave Campbell's High School Basketball

Steve Gomez, Alesha Ellis, and Josh Prock have used athletes from West Texas high schools to build successful women’s basketball programs at Lubbock Christian, Angelo State, and West Texas A&M.

Cory Hogue Mar 15 1:52 pm

West Texas high schools have long dominated the UIL girl's basketball state championships behind the legendary success of programs like Nazareth, Amarillo, and Canyon.

So, It should not come as a surprise the 2023 NCAA Division II women’s South Central Regional had a distinctly West Texas feel last weekend. UT-Tyler’s thrilling double-overtime victory in Rebecca Alvidrez’s second year with the Patriots against Lubbock Christian marked the first time since 2013 that a school from West Texas will not be in the Elite Eight.

The last eight Division II women’s basketball tournaments had either Lubbock Christian or West Texas A&M attending. The Lady Chaps won three national titles during that span.

LCU head coach Steve Gomez earned his 500th career victory in the semifinals of the South Central Regional and has averaged 25 wins a season during his 20-year career with the Lady Chaps.

West Texas A&M is led by Josh Prock, who led the Lady Buffs to the Elite Eight last year after building a winning program at arguably the toughest location in the Lone Star Conference at Eastern New Mexico. Before joining the Greyhounds, Prock won 108 games as head coach at Howard Payne.

This year’s regional was held in San Angelo, where Alesha Ellis guided the Rambelles to the top seed and host in her second season at the helm. Before arriving in San Angelo, Ellis led Wayland Baptist to the NAIA tournament in all eight seasons while winning at least 19 games each year.

Gomez, Prock, and Ellis own a combined 987 wins in 45 seasons (21.9 wins per season), with a focus on recruiting high school players from West Texas. Gomez and Ellis are products of West Texas high schools at Lubbock Cooper and Plainview, respectively. All three coaches attribute a large part of their success to the area high school coaches.

“I’ve always said that West Texas high school basketball is a gold mine,” Ellis said. “It means the world to me to be in the middle of this area. I grew up in this area, and the coaches in this part of the state are very good and teach the right stuff. I recruit a lot from West Texas because we want winning mentalities, and they know how to win.”

“The key for us has been getting quality kids from great programs that have been coached well,” Gomez added. “We’re not transforming anything. We’re just getting kids and putting them together. When they like each other, they play harder.”

Prock says a key to each program’s success is the quality of players they receive from high schools in West Texas.

“What I love about recruiting players from West Texas high schools is that you are recruiting high-quality individuals that are coachable,” Prock said. “The players arrive with a tremendous knowledge of the fundamentals and are able to immediately compete for playing time.”

“We don’t have to run a skills development clinic every day with these players,” Gomez said. “We focus on getting our team to work together because the developmental skills have already been taken care of by the high school coaches.”

Angelo State standout Sawyer Lloyd played at Wall High School for Tate Lombard, now at Canyon, and credits Lombard for instilling the mentality needed to be successful in college.

“The winning mentality was a big thing playing for coach Lombard at Wall. I relate well with coach Ellis because they have similar coaching styles,” Lloyd said. “Both of them have a winning mentality, and they know how to push us to get the most from us.”

“My high school coaches spent a lot of time teaching us how to work hard and rebound. We also did a lot of running,” Lloyd’s teammate Tay Pleasant said of her time at Amarillo Tascosa. “They made sure we had the things we needed in our bag to be successful, and Coach Ellis is the same way.”

The relationships that many high school players develop with their coaches continue after they’ve left campus. Lone Star Conference Player of the Year Grace Foster had a special visitor from her time at Childress during the Lady Chaps championship game.

“One of my high school coaches was here tonight, so it was fun seeing him,” Foster said. “I thank them for allowing me to be confident and giving me the green light to learn in the big moments. I’m not afraid of the big moments now because of my experience in high school. They taught me how to fight through double teams because I faced a lot of those in high school too. They taught me how to fight through it and make the right pass.”

Maci Maddox has two other siblings that played collegiate athletics at LCU, and the standout guard credits her coaches at Frenship for assisting her in achieving her dream of playing for the Lady Chaps.

“It helps when you have coaches that believe in you. My high school coaches encouraged me and knew my dream was to play college basketball at LCU,” Maddox said. “They encouraged me to play here, and they said great things about the coaching staff and the school. Everything my high school coaches told me is true. It’s been amazing here.”

Idalou High School product Shaylee Stovall said it helped her choose to play for the Lady Chaps because she had developed relationships with her teammates during their high school playing days.

“I had great high school coaches and great teammates who supported me. I learned early how to play together with people, and that’s been something that we continue to develop in college,” Stovall said. “I played against Maci a lot in high school, and it’s been awesome being on the same team with her. One reason I came to LCU was that I wanted to be teammates with these awesome people that I played against in high school.”

Gomez believes another advantage provided by West Texas high schools is recruiting multi-sport athletes.

“It’s a different mentality with the players from West Texas high schools. A lot of these kids only play basketball for their high school team,” Gomez said. “They’re not overdoing individual trainers or having too many voices in their heads. They listen to their high school coaches, and they get in the gym and work on their game.

“These days, too many kids are playing all summer and never improving their skills in the gym. Playing five games in a weekend can cause a player not to value a game as much, and that’s a big deal.”

Gomez says that West Texas players have another advantage not found in many of the metro areas of the state.

“It’s also West Texas, and there aren’t as many entertainment options or other distractions, so they go to the gym and shoot,” Gomez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

I do not disagree, however, the cupboard is not bear. Boyd has work to do in the offseason, she needs to report back in much better physical condition. Wt needs another post and at least one front-line player that is a 3-4 type. I would like to have a point guard. The last true point we had was Megan Gamble. (not counting Zam) IMHO, Karley, and Bree would be adequate point guards, but adequate won't get the job done in the LSC. Someone like Maddox from LCU would be great.

What I am hoping for, in this order, is an impact front-line player to replace LT. A solid backup post who is a defensive presence in the middle and a point guard with a high Basketball I.Q. IF we can add those parts we already have the needed depth. It would help to have improved shooting from 3-point range. There are a lot of good players in the portal, we just need to find good fits.
        The cupboard is not bare either!

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

One little mistake!!!! - the proofreading department had left for the day

Comment

• Lady Buffs don’t need a solid back up post. They need a solid starting post. Thabach is weak, slow and can’t jump over her shoestrings. She should be the backup, if that. And it would be nice to have a point guard who can penetrate the middle like Zam. Plus how about another Lexi Hightower or Emily Brister? Now we’re talking.

Comment

• Originally posted by oldbuff View Post
              Lady Buffs don’t need a solid back up post. They need a solid starting post. Thabach is weak, slow and can’t jump over her shoestrings. She should be the backup, if that. And it would be nice to have a point guard who can penetrate the middle like Zam. Plus how about another Lexi Hightower or Emily Brister? Now we’re talking.
              Very Spot On!

Comment

If you and Javs Fan fall from being perfect and ever make a grammatical mistake you guys won't here the end of it.

Yes the "here" is on purpose since you two love getting off on correcting grammatical errors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

One little mistake!!!! - the proofreading department had left for the day
                  That's what she said!

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

If you and Javs Fan fall from being perfect and ever make a grammatical mistake you guys won't here the end of it.

Yes the "here" is on purpose since you two love getting off on correcting grammatical errors.
                    Are you F**KING kidding???? LMAO. I have been beaten to death by multiple holier than thou Buffoons over simple typos for 14 years......INCLUDING YOU!!

Why don't you take a long walk off a short pier.

Comment

Are you F**KING kidding???? LMAO. I have been beaten to death by multiple holier than thou Buffoons over simple typos for 14 years......INCLUDING YOU!!

Why don't you take a long walk off a short pier.
                      Oof. I hit a nerve?

Show me where I have been the grammar police?

Are we cheering for UTPB or MSU this year?

Comment

• Originally posted by oldbuff View Post
                        Lady Buffs don’t need a solid back up post. They need a solid starting post. Thabach is weak, slow and can’t jump over her shoestrings. She should be the backup, if that. And it would be nice to have a point guard who can penetrate the middle like Zam. Plus how about another Lexi Hightower or Emily Brister? Now we’re talking.
                        I had another post-player in mind like Parker. Long, mobile, and a shot-blocker. Would love to have another Megan Gamble at the point.
                        IF we find another Lexi or Emily they would be looking to move up to D1 (like Lexi did) rather than play in D2.
                        I think Thabach will continue to improve. I talked to her at halftime of one of the men's games. Her plans are to stay here over the summer and work with Ramey.
                        We will see if she can improve. Boyd needs to do the same thing. (if she wants playing time)

I have confidence that our staff will find good players that will contribute. It would be ideal for transfer players to step into starting roles.
                        That's hard to do. New players will need to learn the system and find their role on the team. If that happens about January 1st we'll be Ok.
                        I think Hollie, and Kyla will continue to improve. Azia has become a good defensive player. As we have disused, we need front-line players.
                        We have good guards and good incoming guards. Wt really needs to shoot the ball better from the 3-point line. I think we were under 30% as a team.

I also think one of the incoming players needs to be a high-energy player like Taylor Williams. Dollar was filling that role until her injury.
                        She did not get a red shirt, she will not be returning.

So that is my wish list for the Lady Buffs. It's much shorter than my wish list for football.

Comment

• Who knows what another Lexi or Emily type player might do. Prock said that he thought Lexi might have stayed at WT if his hiring had been announced a month earlier. She left WT because she couldn’t stand Mattio which was totally understandable. Regardless of any unknown future intentions, Prock still needs to make the effort to recruit the best players for the program and not shy away because they might go D1.
                          Ramey definitely has her work cut out for her this summer with Thabach.

Comment

Oof. I hit a nerve?

Show me where I have been the grammar police?

Are we cheering for UTPB or MSU this year?
                            Seriously? 😂😂😂😂

Angelo & WT this year.

Unlike you, I did not attend a DII university for undergraduate or my multiple graduate degrees. All of mine were D1 FBS.

Sooo, as stated at least 10 times, I root for LSC DII programs based off personal connections with players, parents, or coaches. Not sure why you have a hard time comprehending this. How many times do I have to repeat myself?????

Sorry this doesn't fit your paradigm.

Carry-on.

Comment

Seriously? 😂😂😂😂

Angelo & WT this year.

Unlike you, I did not attend a DII university for undergraduate or my multiple graduate degrees. All of mine were D1 FBS.

Sooo, as stated at least 10 times, I root for LSC DII programs based off personal connections with players, parents, or coaches. Not sure why you have a hard time comprehending this. How many times do I have to repeat myself?????

Sorry this doesn't fit your paradigm.

Carry-on.
                              So a degree from Toledo is more valuable than a degree from Truman State, Grand Valley, etc.?

Didn't your son graduate from a D2 university?

Didn't realize you had to graduate from just a FBS university to have your degrees mean more.

I can tell you from experience more Texas Tech graduates address their co-workers as "boss" than the other way around when it comes to graduates from "lower tier" universities.

Your go to when ASU is having a medicore season is "I no longer have any affiliation with ASU" but when they are having a great season "Hell yes!! Blah blah blah".

When WT has been in the basement I have been here to take the heat and call out coaches but never said I am dropping my allegiance to WT.

Hopefully football season will get here soon and we can argue about that again.

Carry on.

Comment

So a degree from Toledo is more valuable than a degree from Truman State, Grand Valley, etc.?

Didn't your son graduate from a D2 university?

Didn't realize you had to graduate from just a FBS university to have your degrees mean more.

I can tell you from experience more Texas Tech graduates address their co-workers as "boss" than the other way around when it comes to graduates from "lower tier" universities.

Your go to when ASU is having a medicore season is "I no longer have any affiliation with ASU" but when they are having a great season "Hell yes!! Blah blah blah".

When WT has been in the basement I have been here to take the heat and call out coaches but never said I am dropping my allegiance to WT.

Hopefully football season will get here soon and we can argue about that again.

Carry on.
                                I assume, by your comical rant, that your education did not include reading comprehension.

My point was and still is that my loyalty in sports is to the universities in which I attended, and those happen to be D1 FBS. Meant nothing more and nothing less.

I wish you a good night and hope you get help for your feelings of inadequacy(ies).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X