Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Neither is Tech! But, there isn't much football talent these days in the Panhandle. If you remember correctly, when the Panhandle had talent was when the oil boom was going on. Same can be said about Permian. That is why they haven't sniffed a state title in years. Demographics have changed and people move to where opportunity is. Once storied programs are only left with yesteryear.
    Yep you are right. Permian's problem is their enrollment. They are usually going to be put in the 6A Division 1 bracket and will get smoked when they meet up with the metroplex in later rounds.

Tascosa made the 6A D2 semifinals several years ago and now in 5A division 1.

Tascosa has had several D1 players recently but they have went to Purdue, TCU, Baylor, SFA, etc.

Comment

And, Odessa Permian won state championships when there was only one big school state champion not the watered down two version now. That was one of the greatest runs in Texas High School football in the Eighties.

The movie was flawed. Permian lost that year (1988) in Austin to Carter and didn't make it to the state championship game. Carter beat some really good teams including Marshall, Texas and Converse Judson for the state title although they were later stripped. They knew going into the Marshall game they were going to be disqualified. Carter got a lot of calls that went their way and escaped with 21-18 win over Marshall if I remember correctly watching that game. Carter also caught a huge break against Permian in the second half when the refs called a completed pass that clearly bounced off the turf that led to the go ahead score for Carter. In the officials defense it was cold and there was a driving rain that made vision difficult in that game. Southworst Conference officials for that game didn't help. LOL. Judson wasn't the challenge Marshall and Permian was. I am always left to wonder who would have been the real champion that year Marshall or Permian.
      Carter also had to give up their title and went through alot of off the field stuff. ESPN did a 30 on 30 on this era. A recent team that I think we can compare those Carter team too in this era is Ducanville or DeSoto as far as raw talent at almost every position that could play college ball anywhere and the next level too if pushed.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...m1w8ub9o5uxvl1

And to think now they are a Class 4A school too and not anywhere close to the football power they could be in lower classification.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Yep you are right. Permian's problem is their enrollment. They are usually going to be put in the 6A Division 1 bracket and will get smoked when they meet up with the metroplex in later rounds.

Tascosa made the 6A D2 semifinals several years ago and now in 5A division 1.

Tascosa has had several D1 players recently but they have went to Purdue, TCU, Baylor, SFA, etc.
        This is why I don't understand why 6A stands alone with determining the division post playoffs, You still get the huge enrollment disparities that caused 5A on down that caused them to change it. Maybe the addition of a 7A will do this as their is chatter about that happening by 2026?

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

My point being that most of the time WT isn't the first place a kid from the Amarillo area looks at when playing college ball and Amarillo schools aren't likely the first place WT looks when they recruit.
          EXACTLY! Same for UTPB and Odessa/Permian hs players. But, coach Mac is trying something different and with 11 signed recruits, it might work.

Hence why I said IF he is successful, I see other LSC programs following suit.

Comment

I think UTPB is having the same problem companies in the Permian have in recruiting people to move here.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffs of Uranus View Post
              I think UTPB is having the same problem companies in the Permian have in recruiting people to move here.
              What problem is that?

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

What problem is that?
                Take it you have never spent time in Odessa.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post

I think Pops has never been stranded in Odessolate!!! Takes lots of $$$. Oil boom is not what it once was.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Carter also had to give up their title and went through alot of off the field stuff. ESPN did a 30 on 30 on this era. A recent team that I think we can compare those Carter team too in this era is Ducanville or DeSoto as far as raw talent at almost every position that could play college ball anywhere and the next level too if pushed.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...m1w8ub9o5uxvl1

And to think now they are a Class 4A school too and not anywhere close to the football power they could be in lower classification.
                    To be totally honest, Carter did not look anything that was portrayed in the movie in the two games I watched. Both Marshall and Permian could have easily beat them. They weren't any better. They did have talent but as a team they were nothing like the Miami Hurricanes dominating. Marshall was just unlucky and Carter got some questionable calls late allowing Carter to score in the final seconds. Same with Permian. If that incomplete pass isn't ruled a catch Carter most likely doesn't get the first down and loses. The only other thing that sticks out in the Carter Permian game to me was how bad the Permian QB was. I couldn't understand how they had got that far with such a poor QB. He missed so many wide open receivers in that game. One that was a killer was when he overthrew a receiver that Carter didn't a defender within 20 yards of him. He could have just floated up a beach ball and the receiver could have still walked into the end zone.

Daingerfield a 3A powerhouse in that same time frame won a state championship without any one even scoring on them all season except the first game of the year beating a larger classification school. I had went to one of their playoff games against Waco Robison. Daingerfield fumbled the opening kickoff and Robinson recovered on the 4 or 5 yard line. They got stuffed and couldn't get it over the goal line. So, on fourth down they sent out the FG kicker. I was seated on the 10 yard line so I had a side view. The game was in Rockwall and the wind was brutal. As the kick went up a massive wind caught the ball as it approaching the goal posts and sent the ball back over the kicker's head which Daingerfield picked up and raced to the Robinson 10 yard line scoring later. Robinson never got close to scoring after that. Daingerfield won the state title over Sweeney 42-0. I doubt this holding opponents scoreless all season and throughout the playoffs will ever happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post

No Sir. Have not.

Comment

I think Pops has never been stranded in Odessolate!!! Takes lots of $$$. Oil boom is not what it once was.
                        Never been to Odessa. No reason for me to ever be in Odessa.

Now, I received two comments about my post, but no one has answered the question. 😂
                        Last edited by ASUPops; 03-10-2023, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Never been to Odessa. No reason for me to ever be in Odessa.

Now, I received two comments about my post, but no one has answered the question. 😂
                          The answer to your question is simple. People do not want to move to Odessa. Whether it’s for a job or to attend a University. I believe UTPB is not recruiting local because it’s a great strategy. They can’t recruit athletes from other areas to come to Odessa.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffs of Uranus View Post

The answer to your question is simple. People do not want to move to Odessa. Whether it’s for a job or to attend a University. I believe UTPB is not recruiting local because it’s a great strategy. They can’t recruit athletes from other areas to come to Odessa.
                            WHY???

Also, not sure of the validity of your comments. Of the entire 2022 squad and redshirts, what percentage are from Midland/Odessa?

https://utpbfalcons.com/sports/football/roster

Comment

The list is long but some of the primary issues with life in the Petroplex are

Terrible weather
                              high cost of living
                              High crime
                              lack of community interest (people don’t stick around so few people actually consider Odessa home)
                              constant boom and bust
                              during boom restaurants are terrible because can’t hire workers
                              dangerous roads due to high oil field truck traffic
                              the area is just not a pretty place
                              UTPB campus is ugly (more grass stickers than trees)

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

This is why I don't understand why 6A stands alone with determining the division post playoffs, You still get the huge enrollment disparities that caused 5A on down that caused them to change it. Maybe the addition of a 7A will do this as their is chatter about that happening by 2026?
                                Yeah its flawed and it needs to be divided into 6A/7A.

One year in the mid 2010's There were only 5 teams in the 6A district in the Panhandle/South Plains and all 5 of them were barely 6A.

Tascosa was placed in the Division 1 bracket and made it to the 3rd round and lost to Denton Ryan after leading in the 4th quarter.

Had they won that game they would have played Allen in the next round.

That would have been a 4,500+ enrollment difference in that matchup.

Now all those teams except for Frenship are now 5A and Frenship is barely 6A.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X