Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post
    ASU has not been able to schedule an 11th game either. I think a major drawback is that it is a 1 game deal. SR will fill that spot next year so home and home does not work.
    So.....using the logic of one of our WT posters, the Angelo AD doesn't give a damn about football.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

So.....using the logic of one of our WT posters, the Angelo AD doesn't give a damn about football.
      No, the Angelo AD knows what he’s doing, unlike your buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Is it possible we are lumping in McBroom with Wendler?

If all sports were sucking I could see throwing McBroom under the bus.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Do you mean the AD who hired Coach Mook (SB NC), Coach Potts (VB NC), Coach Brown (current winningest men's college BB coach in Texas), Coach Stewart (T &F), Coach Prock (1st year women's BB Elite 8).....etc etc?

Really? What IS your problem with McBroom?

Comment

All sports aren’t suffering. In fact, over the last 10 years, WT has won 6 NCs, 13 regional championships & 57 LSC championships. Plus 100+ student athletes per year graduate. This is the 10th straight year WT has been the best in Texas for the Learfield Directors Cup. So the numbers don’t lie. McBroom has done a helluva job with the athletic program. He has hired great coaches overall who have recruited superb student/athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by oldbuff View Post
              All sports aren’t suffering. In fact, over the last 10 years, WT has won 6 NCs, 13 regional championships & 57 LSC championships. Plus 100+ student athletes per year graduate. This is the 10th straight year WT has been the best in Texas for the Learfield Directors Cup. So the numbers don’t lie. McBroom has done a helluva job with the athletic program. He has hired great coaches overall who have recruited superb student/athletes.
              WT will always do well in the Directors Cup because WT fields so many athletic teams (16 teams). That is not a good measuring stick. Membership is the Buffalo Club is way down. WT still has a divided fan base due firing popular winning coaches and the academic scandal. The football team quit on the coach this year and that has never happened in WT history. Loyalty to the University not a person.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffs of Uranus View Post

WT will always do well in the Directors Cup because WT fields so many athletic teams (16 teams). That is not a good measuring stick. Membership is the Buffalo Club is way down. WT still has a divided fan base due firing popular winning coaches and the academic scandal. The football team quit on the coach this year and that has never happened in WT history. Loyalty to the University not a person.
                I agree with most of your statements.

Football is the sore spot and weakness that McBroom hasnt been able to fix and thats the most popular by a mile.

Like it or not most peeps are happier with football being on top at the expense of all the other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Football is the sore spot and weakness that McBroom hasnt been able to fix and thats the most popular by a mile.

Like it or not most peeps are happier with football being on top at the expense of all the other sports.
                  Unlike Hughes, who had no HC experience, I think all WT FB fans hope Lynn will return the Buffs to FB prominence. It's obvious, Hughes' hire was a mistake by our AD. Hughes' record after year 1 was middling, not horrible. But, the program didn't flourish. The team quitting on him last year was as embarrassing as it can get.

Lynn's record at ENMU and Kearney (especially considering the MIAA competition) is a hopeful precursor to similar or better success at WT. I have met him 3 times now and have a good hour and a half with him. My personal judgement is that he is the perfect hire for WT. And...he will be successful. I don't think it will take near as long as some may believe. Lynn KNOWS how to build a program.

Comment

Personally, I think more money needs to go to FB, BB, WBB, VB, and SB. All other sports should take a haircut.

Our major sports (the ones I picked because they are my favorite and the fan favorites) should be front and center when it comes to budgets. I know for a fact that some of the sports I mentioned do not have the resources they really need. Some get no summer school money, have travel budget restraints, need new locker rooms, and other little things that other schools do at the expense of "minor" sports. But we are "fully funded" for stuff like soccer, golf, and T&F. Golf can go to Hawaii, but God forbid if (I'll let you guess which program) asks for money to go to a Hawaiian tournament.

Comment

Buffalo Chip asked a great question: “What is your problem with McBroom?” The only gripe I’ve seen on the forum is about Carthel. Yeah, he (and O’Brien) fired Carthel but Carthel brought that on himself. McBroom has shown he can run a winning athletics program; one that is as good as any D2. I think Josh Lynn is a good hire that will bring football up to the quality of the other programs. I guess if that comes true, then McBroom will suddenly be okay.

Comment

Buffalo Chip asked a great question: “What is your problem with McBroom?” The only gripe I’ve seen on the forum is about Carthel. Yeah, he (and O’Brien) fired Carthel but Carthel brought that on himself. McBroom has shown he can run a winning athletics program; one that is as good as any D2. I think Josh Lynn is a good hire that will bring football up to the quality of the other programs. I guess if that comes true, then McBroom will suddenly be okay.
                        The only problem I had is I think he genuinely was going to keep Hughes around even if they eeked out a 1 point win against SFU.

It took him 9 days of receiving "heat" (as much as you can get at the D2 level) after that SFU loss to make the move to can him when he should have been given the pink slip the second he re-entered the country.

Heck they should have had a list ready to go after that ENMU loss.

Who knows if Wendler played a role in that but he kept hoping for mediocre coaching to improve over several years and it was never going to happen.

Comment

The only problem I had is I think he genuinely was going to keep Hughes around even if they eeked out a 1 point win against SFU.

It took him 9 days of receiving "heat" (as much as you can get at the D2 level) after that SFU loss to make the move to can him when he should have been given the pink slip the second he re-entered the country.

Heck they should have had a list ready to go after that ENMU loss.

Who knows if Wendler played a role in that but he kept hoping for mediocre coaching to improve over several years and it was never going to happen.
                          I think the priorities we FB fans have are not always the same priorities a D2 AD (and current administration) have. All we FB fans give rat's ass about is the win/loss record. We really don't give a damn if our AA QB graduates or not as long as we go 2 or 3 deep in the playoffs.

WT (at this time) is committed to running a true "student athlete" type program. WT coaches are evaluated not only on their win/loss record but on students going to class, attaining good grades, and graduating. I've heard this from multiple coaches in a variety of sports. This is the "mission" of WT's student athlete sports program. Hughes' FB team had a great GPA. It had a lot to do with his retention (and the crazy covid years) and making a change. Team GPA didn't count for crap under the Cartel's. As much as I like Don and Colby team academics were not at the top of their list.

Comment

I think the priorities we FB fans have are not always the same priorities a D2 AD (and current administration) have. All we FB fans give rat's ass about is the win/loss record. We really don't give a damn if our AA QB graduates or not as long as we go 2 or 3 deep in the playoffs.

WT (at this time) is committed to running a true "student athlete" type program. WT coaches are evaluated not only on their win/loss record but on students going to class, attaining good grades, and graduating. I've heard this from multiple coaches in a variety of sports. This is the "mission" of WT's student athlete sports program. Hughes' FB team had a great GPA. It had a lot to do with his retention (and the crazy covid years) and making a change. Team GPA didn't count for crap under the Cartel's. As much as I like Don and Colby team academics were not at the top of their list.
                            10 years ago I would be in more agreement with you.

With the way the college landscape is changing especially with the transfer portal it will be extremely difficult to pull off that balance.

The Carthel's were successful because they brought in NFL caliber athletes and developed them enough to sustain a winning playoff program for several years while several players went to the NFL.

This also led to Colby being successful at Commerce and then parlaying an FCS coaching job at SFA.

Like it or not at all levels fans are going to be more interested in football results rather than kids graduating with 3.9 GPA's instead of 2.1 GPA's.

It is going to be the ol' balancing act of academics vs. bringing in the game changing playmakers with questionable grades.

I will be interested to see how Lynn builds the program.

I would also be interested in how GPA's are playing a factor at Ferris State, Grand Valley State, Northwest Missouri St., and West Florida.

Comment

In my opinion if someone makes a mess of a successful program and it takes them a decade to fix it, that would not make things suddenly okay.

Comment

His email is [email protected]. He'll appreciate the help. I'll give him a heads up.
                                Doing more research.

In addition to St. Anselm.

There is a D2 independent football team, Post University, in Connecticut that went D2 in 2020.

Their site hasnt updated the 2023 schedule but ESPN shows a possible open date on 11/11.

They did go 0-10 last year but it is a game and an extra one that WT seniors could play if they are out of playoff contention

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X