Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred View Post

Pitt state picked up two transfers from WT I believe. A center and DB. Did they do anything this spring.
    I have heard good things about the OL.

Haven't heard much about the DB. DB coach came from WT, too.
    Will be interesting to see how both fit at Pitt.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Not sure. After being involved in football for decades (as a player then coach) I have seen everyone follow suit. Whatever is the hot or fad offensive system is what everyone runs. In the early 2000's & up until a few years back it was spread systems 10 personnel. Nowadays, it's some form of an 11 personnel. Personally, I'd like to see the 21/22 personnel offenses make a resurgence, but not sure that will happen as D1 pretty much follows NFL.
      The NFL sort of seemed to follow D1a little bit lately. Finally caving to offensive styles where mobile QB'S could thrive in the NFL Instead of being forced into the pocket passer mold.

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

I didn't see this type of comment when WT was regularly bringing in D1 transfers.

It's a two way street now.
        Not really. 180 degree opposites but nice try.

WT wasn't throwing cash at Wyoming, Texas Tech, etc. and poaching starting players off FCS or D1 rosters. Let me know when they are able to get Evers caliber players out of the transfer portal to WT. These were players that the programs no longer wanted and/or the player themselves didnt want to wait around 4 years to play if at all. Those programs werent mourning their losses.

Huge deal to hold on to starters at lower levels as a farm system development ground to upper division teams needing help willing to dish out the cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Not really. 180 degree opposites but nice try.

WT wasn't throwing cash at Wyoming, Texas Tech, etc. and poaching starting players off FCS or D1 rosters. Let me know when they are able to get Evers caliber players out of the transfer portal to WT. These were players that the programs no longer wanted and/or the player themselves didnt want to wait around 4 years to play if at all. Those programs werent mourning their losses.

Huge deal to hold on to starters at lower levels as a farm system development ground to upper division teams needing help willing to dish out the cash.
          I think this is just the way it is and the best coaching staffs will be the ones who are the best at dealing with it.

It may redefine what a great coaching staff is, or at least shuffle what priorities are most important for coaches and teams.

Comment

I think it will lower the quality of play as D2 becomes more juco-like with guys trying to get recruited instead of trying to win championships.

Comment

I am actually waiting to see which state sets up their D2 schools as feeders for their D1's first.

My money is on TX and that A And M system. Would be easy to slip that money downhill and get it set up where TAM coaches tell guys "go prove it in canyon or Kingsville and we'll pick you up in 2 years."

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                I am actually waiting to see which state sets up their D2 schools as feeders for their D1's first.

My money is on TX and that A And M system. Would be easy to slip that money downhill and get it set up where TAM coaches tell guys "go prove it in canyon or Kingsville and we'll pick you up in 2 years."

I could see this, WT & TAMUK in the A&M system, ASU in the TT system, UTPB of the UT system, SRSU in the Texas State system and wasn’t there talk of MSU being taken over by the TT system?

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

I didn't see this type of comment when WT was regularly bringing in D1 transfers.

It's a two way street now.
                  Carthel brought in some juco kids. Not D2 and D1 portal transfers. It was a different time. Kingsville had its share of juco transfers back then.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Carthel brought in some juco kids. Not D2 and D1 portal transfers. It was a different time. Kingsville had its share of juco transfers back then.
                    Didn’t Carthel bring in a transfer running back from University of Wyoming? Fleming I think.

When I was at WT we brought in a transfer QB from Arizona State Benton and he was really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

The NFL sort of seemed to follow D1a little bit lately. Finally caving to offensive styles where mobile QB'S could thrive in the NFL Instead of being forced into the pocket passer mold.
                      That's a very fair statement.

Comment

Originally posted by QB11111 View Post

I could see this, WT & TAMUK in the A&M system, ASU in the TT system, UTPB of the UT system, SRSU in the Texas State system and wasn’t there talk of MSU being taken over by the TT system?
                        ASU & MSU in the TT system

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                          Dang, Angelo lost is #1 receiver 6'4 230lb Noah Masey. Looks like he will be a Mountaineer at West Virginia. SMDH.

This portal has taken so much top talent away from the Rams.

This should be a wake up call for any coach trying to build a program.

And we wonder why DII coaches jump ship when they get a D1 opportunity.
                          Hadn't these coaches been jumping ship well before the transfer portal was a thing? Now the athletes can also seek out what they hope will be a better opportunity and/or more money.

WT fans sure didn't mind transfers like that D1 Northwestern RB that was supposed to win them a natty. I remember all the trash talk and excitement from WT. How quickly attitudes change when it's their talent leaving lol.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Technically there was no transfer portal, but there were several D1 transfers. Not all panned out though. A quick scan of WT rosters just from 2005 to 2008 shows these D1 transfers, mostly from FBS schools.

Chris Smith
                            Brandon Johnson
                            Antwaun Harris
                            Nate Cook
                            Bradley Bullitt
                            Tommy Johnston
                            Kolo Kapanui
                            Iris Williams
                            BJ Vickers
                            Keyon Kiles
                            Bret Jones
                            Keithon Fleming
                            Dee Walker
                            Kyle Seals
                            Dexter Manley II
                            Daniel Sherwood
                            Marcus Brigham

And a lot of the JUCO guys were D1 bouncebacks, J'Marucs Webb was notable at the time.

We were also active with transfers as well, but did not have anywhere close to this many D1 transfers. I think the last time we really had a lot was back when Bo was the HC. Our current roster shows 24 players with a previous college affiliation.
                            FBS - 3
                            FCS - 2
                            D2 - 6
                            Sub D2 - 5
                            JC - 8

I am aware of others, but they aren't on the online roster yet.
                            Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Hadn't these coaches been jumping ship well before the transfer portal was a thing? Now the athletes can also seek out what they hope will be a better opportunity and/or more money.

WT fans sure didn't mind transfers like that D1 Northwestern RB that was supposed to win them a natty. I remember all the trash talk and excitement from WT. How quickly attitudes change when it's their talent leaving lol.
                              The point is WT was loading up on kids that their former D1 schools didnt see a starting future for.

People making comments like this cracks me up trying to make it the same thing.

Let me know when WT is able to enter the transfer portal and beat out power 5 schools for 4 and 5 star recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

The point is WT was loading up on kids that their former D1 schools didnt see a starting future for.

People making comments like this cracks me up trying to make it the same thing.

Let me know when WT is able to enter the transfer portal and beat out power 5 schools for 4 and 5 star recruits.
                                Life isn't fair. That's just how the world works. Talent goes where it will be best compensated.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X