Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I say the NCAA institutions should come up with a contract that binds a kid to the school that they agree to go to. The same way you enter a contract for services to be rendered. The contract is binding for both parties with a very few exceptions, like a coaching change where a kid is released from his/her contract. A coach can't get rid of a kid and a kid is bound to the school. I would go back to the one year sit out rule if a kid wants out of the contract. Like a non-compete clause. Coaches will be much more circumspect when they recruit a kid. Recruits better be sure when they agree to the contract. Just like buying a car.

Kids coming out of high school should be prepared to live up to their contract. Coaches, too. Kids can still get their NIL money. Free market still exists for kids before they commit to a school. Say you're being recruited by Texas and Texas A&M, you can negotiate NIL from each school's supporters. Scary, bonuses, performance bonuses, etc etc. It'll all be negotiated and signed up before they sign their college contract. Once signed to a school, it's binding to both parties. The rules are all up front.

The No 1 HS QB in the country will still make his millions. But once he signs with LSU he is under contract for the life of his college playing career. And LSU can't get rid of him. If he doesn't like it at LSU, tough sh!t. Don't sign the contract. Or sit out a year and go play elsewhere. As per the contract.
    When Angelo went through it's coaching change after 2010 season, my son was thinking of transferring. The AD REFUSED to grant permission. Once Wag came on board, he took REFUSED to grant permission.

Between 2010-2011 my son was offered to join his HS QB and move to a D1. The two won Allen's 1st State Championship together. He again was refused.

In the end, he was glad to finish his career at Angelo and he absolutely bleeds blue & gold. Haha.

The point.....these new changes have pros & cons for both players and programs.

It needs to be tweaked. College players are getting PAID. Boosters can now give gifts!! This is RUINING amateur sports. Deep pocket programs are going to DOMINATE.

Will we see an earning cap in NCAA like the Salary Cap in the NFL???

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

When Angelo went through it's coaching change after 2010 season, my son was thinking of transferring. The AD REFUSED to grant permission. Once Wag came on board, he took REFUSED to grant permission.

Between 2010-2011 my son was offered to join his HS QB and move to a D1. The two won Allen's 1st State Championship together. He again was refused.

In the end, he was glad to finish his career at Angelo and he absolutely bleeds blue & gold. Haha.

The point.....these new changes have pros & cons for both players and programs.

It needs to be tweaked. College players are getting PAID. Boosters can now give gifts!! This is RUINING amateur sports. Deep pocket programs are going to DOMINATE.

Will we see an earning cap in NCAA like the Salary Cap in the NFL???
      FBS has not been an amateur sport for 70 years. Let's not pretend otherwise.

I do dislike the impact it has on the lower levels now that it's more open.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

As a KU hoops fan, I strongly disagree with that first part. It's full blown free agency at that level. If the other teams can't lure them, the NBA can..
        You have to worry a bit about a star player leaving but Kansas can pull someone from equal talent from the portal with ease to fill that spot.

A Southland school isnt going to go into the portal and pick up a 5 star recruit that started 3 years at Duke.

That is where the difference is.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
          I think the portal a real problem for schools like ENMU. the schools that have a formula winning. ENMU is to recruit high school NM/West Texas kids redshirt them (play with 4-5 year seniors) and sprinkle in some studs. i.e. Kamal cass/Paul terry. those studs are key to there success. now those kids will be gone after good year. I think its going really tough for these programs that don't have the dollars, facilities or town to recruit to. it will be next to impossible to build a program.
          Totally agreed.

Most D2 football teams will slowly turn into borderline intramural talent with a few ringers mixed it until they are picked up by someone else.

Comment

The whole idea of the amateur athlete doesn't really exist anymore. I can see the good and bad in it. The old system certainly wasn't the answer. The bummer part is that the changes made to end outright exploitation of the athletes benefits the teams who had already made the most money from that exploitation. That's no accident, btw.

Comment

It's worth a mention that pro sports using the college system as their minor leagues is one of the things that brought it to this point, imo.

Comment

I see where Angelo State OL Jake Long has flipped his commitment from UNT to Duke.

https://twitter.com/j_long75/status/...296138241?s=20

That is three of the five losses to the portal that are going to FBS schools, two at Power 5.

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post
                  I see where Angelo State OL Jake Long has flipped his commitment from UNT to Duke.

https://twitter.com/j_long75/status/...296138241?s=20

That is three of the five losses to the portal that are going to FBS schools, two at Power 5.
                  Yes, Angelo had some good talent. Coaching did a great job developing them.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X