Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augie d1 thread

As many know there has been talk of Augustana going d1, with its funding and elite sports teams. Along with the growing community some prominent boosters are pushing for it, lead by Sanford Hospital CEO Kelby Krabbenhoft..... here is his interview with kwsn about future d1 outlook

http://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk...WCCkTM.twitter

Re: Augie d1 thread

My take on that is that his focus is on basketball. As far as his take on football- well, the Pioneer would be the best that they could do. Worst case scenario- leave that beautiful K-O stadium empty on Saturday afternoons.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
      My take on that is that his focus is on basketball. As far as his take on football- well, the Pioneer would be the best that they could do. Worst case scenario- leave that beautiful K-O stadium empty on Saturday afternoons.
      I think you are right. The focus is on basketball. The problem they have is that one of the biggest financial donors they have is aligned with football. Not only does he donate but he is employed. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I feel like no scholarship D1 football would be the death of the football program. I could be wrong but I know when they considered going that route 9-10 years ago the consensus was there would be a mass exodus of football players looking for other programs. Maybe that would be the fallout before you rebuild the program under the no scholarship model but I think it would be a tough sell with very good D1 FCS teams/leagues and a very good D2 league in the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Augiefanman View Post
        I think you are right. The focus is on basketball. The problem they have is that one of the biggest financial donors they have is aligned with football. Not only does he donate but he is employed. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I feel like no scholarship D1 football would be the death of the football program. I could be wrong but I know when they considered going that route 9-10 years ago the consensus was there would be a mass exodus of football players looking for other programs. Maybe that would be the fallout before you rebuild the program under the no scholarship model but I think it would be a tough sell with very good D1 FCS teams/leagues and a very good D2 league in the city.
        I think the no-scholarship football approach would be a terrible path. If you need to ditch football to go D-1, it's not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post
          I think the no-scholarship football approach would be a terrible path. If you need to ditch football to go D-1, it's not worth it.
          I've said it before on here and I'll say it again- and I know that there are MSU people who read this.

If MSU drops football- like they did the year after I graduated- I will not give one red cent to MSU again. I'll be a whore and sell my loyalty to some other athletic program.

I have heard some rumors that MSU would possibly follow Augie to D1 if they did this and join the Pioneer. And that would be a mistake.

Comment

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again- and I know that there are MSU people who read this.

If MSU drops football- like they did the year after I graduated- I will not give one red cent to MSU again. I'll be a whore and sell my loyalty to some other athletic program.

I have heard some rumors that MSU would possibly follow Augie to D1 if they did this and join the Pioneer. And that would be a mistake.
            What if they moved up with football but found a conference besides the PFL?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post
              What if they moved up with football but found a conference besides the PFL?
              I would still support MSU if they did that since they wouldn't be dropping football. However:

A. We would need a new stadium. I don't see the president pushing for such a move.

B. We would need more fans. The same people around Mankato who say, "I don't go because they are "only" D2" are the same people who will be too cheap to go to D1 games because ticket prices are higher.

C. The only other possible conference to join would be the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Tough competition with the four Dakota schools and UNI for starters.

D. Money for all sports would have to increase. Basketball has the money but the other sports?

Comment

I'll try to make sure Augieholic or I get you an Augie hat and t-shirt immediately after declaring your free agency. :)

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                  I'll try to make sure Augieholic or I get you an Augie hat and t-shirt immediately after declaring your free agency. :)
                  :good::good:

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post
                    I agree.

Comment

I'll one up you with a BSU hat and a Hockey Jersey!
                      Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post
                        I'll one up you with a BSU hat and a Hockey Jersey!
                        This free agency thing is looking good!

Comment

Nah, we already know he'd be a Mustang fan...

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                            Nah, we already know he'd be a Mustang fan...
                            There would be obvious geographical advantages. BLHS Mustangs, similar distance to drive, able to consume complimentary Schwan's products........

Comment

Someone on another thread made a good point. If they dropped all of their scholarships with the intention of growing later, they would have a huge amount of ground to make up. He said that they should keep the same number for now and go Independent in FCS.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X