X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie d1 thread

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    That sounds like UMC logic....
    Ha. Perhaps. But comparing UMC and MSU would be quite the stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
      This free agency thing is looking good!
      4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
      2016 NSIC Champions
      🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

If Augie wants to go let em. I'd be excited for them. Maybe then we can force UMC out too and drop to 14

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
          If Augie wants to go let em. I'd be excited for them. Maybe then we can force UMC out too and drop to 14
          Or your guys could go D-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
            Or your guys could go D-1.
            Not by dropping football. Right now, hockey- men's and women's- is eating up way too much of the budget to go.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
              Omaha is D1, other than hockey nobody follows their basketball program. Once my daughter and I went to a men's BB game, showing up an half hour late. They were giving the 1st 500 fans very nice hats, despite being late we both got a hat.

Lots of people talk about AU going D1, except Augie. I listened to an interview of Stephania Herseth and she stated raising enrollment to around 3000 before considering D1. Augustana is an University with athletics, not the other way around.

For over 80 years Augustana was a bottom feeder in the NCC, why would they want to go back to that. Like purple mav said about MSU, AU is enjoying their D2 success.
              Having Creighton in the backyard doesn't do Omaha hoops any favors. Creighton is immensely popular and they draw 17,000-18,000 per game for hoops. The Huskers are only 45 min away and draw 15,000 per game despite their lack of success. Hard to make a dent in D1 basketball following with those two behemoths around.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                Having Creighton in the backyard doesn't do Omaha hoops any favors. Creighton is immensely popular and they draw 17,000-18,000 per game for hoops. The Huskers are only 45 min away and draw 15,000 per game despite their lack of success. Hard to make a dent in D1 basketball following with those two behemoths around.
                What is the general feeling at UNO about their move to D1? They were D1 in hockey already- I never hear about them in anything else. The move has been great for most of the other NCC schools- even UNC has had some success in basketball. But UNO?

Comment

Originally posted by tman28 View Post
                  And this is where I love getting information from the fans that are part of the programs base. I would think that some players would drop to other d2 schools, but I think there would be a majority of players that would stay for the D1 prestige, school atmosphere, and city experience. Also if Augie was a contender for the PFL title and a playoff spot every year (Which i think they could become) would that be good enough for the fanbase?
                  D1 prestige wears off real fast when you are footing the entire tuition bill, sans academic scholarship money.

Comment

What is the general feeling at UNO about their move to D1? They were D1 in hockey already- I never hear about them in anything else. The move has been great for most of the other NCC schools- even UNC has had some success in basketball. But UNO?
                    Well, I think everyone obviously was ticked off over the elimination of football and wrestling, but their finances were so far in the hole, the school had to do something drastic. I think at this point, the finances are a lot more stable and people are used to UNO being in Division I. They've made some noise in the Summit in basketball, and I think have had some success at the D1 level in men's soccer but hockey will always be the big draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Augiefanman View Post
                      D1 prestige wears off real fast when you are footing the entire tuition bill, sans academic scholarship money.
                      If they go PFL, Augie would be in a similar situation as Presbyterian (nonscholarship by 2020). But is that the direction you think they will take? Or will they tread water at 30ish scholarships awhile?

Comment

KSTP TV in the Twin Cities did a story on the possibility

http://kstp.com/business/some-booste...tage-/4962254/

Comment

I think we need to do a poll- "Should Augie go D1?"

I keep hearing that it is not if, but when. I also hear from most Augie fans that I know that they don't want to go.

I suppose that big money talks. We do know that big money talks big..........

Comment

I keep hearing that it is not if, but when. I also hear from most Augie fans that I know that they don't want to go.

It isnt about what's good for the school or actual supporters, its the investors and the folks in the city. What can help bring in more options, and outside dollars. Some of the most insightful and diehard of fans probably live on this message board, I dont believe any of the Augie contingent has said this would be "great" though some have said it will be fine either way.

Comment

You can count me as a NO for moving up to D1. History tends to repeat itself, for 80 some years Augie was doormat for the big I29 schools. Myself, I'm enjoying our D2 success. Unfortunately it looks like Kelby going to win. Football is my favorite sport and I wonder what will it become...A non scholarship D1 football league. Yuck.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                                You can count me as a NO for moving up to D1. History tends to repeat itself, for 80 some years Augie was doormat for the big I29 schools. Myself, I'm enjoying our D2 success. Unfortunately it looks like Kelby going to win. Football is my favorite sport and I wonder what will it become...A non scholarship D1 football league. Yuck.
                                I think what is key here for which side of the fence that people are on is the priority of football. People who don't care much for football are probably OK with the move. People who put football first, like I do, are probably against it.

Personally- if MSU was playing UND, NDSU, USD and SDSU in football every week along with UNI and others- the Mavs wouldn't be looking at a lot of years of winning seasons either if they were D1. Augie & MSU would be looking at each other for one of their best chances at a win in football.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X