Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie d1 thread

I'm not as pessimistic about the potential for Augie (and MSU) at the D1 level.

Potentially cutting football would suck (likely so would going non-scholarship too), but I believe both schools would be able to land on their feet fine. Both have the location and facilities to not be totally outclassed in Division I. Mankato and Sioux Falls are definitely two Division I caliber cities.

Some have brought up Omaha's struggles, but MBB attendance 2 of the last 3 years still practically triples what the Red Mavs were getting their last 5ish years in D2. Ten years ago, they went 25-7 in D2 and averaged 919 fans. Last year, despite going 9-22 the team averaged 2,367 fans. Distant third in Nebraska fan support maybe, but still sitting better in that area than they were in D2. Division I sells.

I'm not saying I want them to leave. Heck, they're probably the two best all-around programs in the NSIC, so it would really put a dent in the overall conference strength. And they're two of the nearest schools to Marshall, so it wouldn't help our travel budget either. I'm just speaking to the notion that they wouldn't hold their own in Division I.

Comment

I imagine the family that donated all that money to Augie for the new football stadium wouldn't be too happy to see non-scholarship D1 or football dropped all together so soon after its construction.

Comment

I'm of the opinion its only a matter of time before Augie makes the jump. When they do, whether that be 3, 5 or 10 years down the road, what will the NSIC look like by then? Does Crookston stay at D2 or drop? Does Mankato (or anyone else) follow Augie?

Interesting times for sure ahead.

Comment

Augie's gonna do whatever they want. Droppin' football, generally a $$ maker for all/most teams, doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure UNO was hurt when they dropped football. I know a former player and coach from there who couldn't believe it. They were a very good second choice (population!) for players in a football-mad state, and much better than the other D-II, III and NAIA options. Does anyone think Augie's proximity to SF will carry any weight on their decision?

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
            Augie's gonna do whatever they want. Droppin' football, generally a $$ maker for all/most teams, doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure UNO was hurt when they dropped football. I know a former player and coach from there who couldn't believe it. They were a very good second choice (population!) for players in a football-mad state, and much better than the other D-II, III and NAIA options. Does anyone think Augie's proximity to SF will carry any weight on their decision?
            Proximity? Augie is right in the heart of Sioux Falls

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
              If they plan on growing, will they have to annex USF which is right next door? :bulgy-eyes:

Comment

No way AU drops football as it adds over 100 students. It's funny how Kelby Krabbenhoft is all about Basketball, remember he gave MSU basketball program 5 million dollars and got up on a microphone and admonished MSU to go D1. His son Louis played football at Augie as a 6'5" 270lbs. guard and was very good. I have heard the talk of AU buying the USF campus and starting a Med school, My feelings about that is it's a heaping bunch of baloney. Just guessing but, I think AU and MSU will be D1 in the next 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                  I know. It's a block away from USF (same block?). I've been there. That was my point. Sorry if it was misunderstood.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                    If they plan on growing, will they have to annex USF which is right next door? :bulgy-eyes:
                    Once again, my point. Too close for comfort.

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
                      I know. It's a block away from USF (same block?). I've been there. That was my point. Sorry if it was misunderstood.
                      Guessing the confusion came because you initially typed it as SF (the city) and not as USF (the university). So they thought you were talking about the proximity to the city, not to the neighbor university.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                        You joke but I've heard the same rumor VF mentions of Augie purchasing the USF campus, or hell the entire school. That's some prime academic real estate right next door to their buddy Kelby's sprawling Sanford empire.

USF does own the majority of the farmland which surrounds the stadium so one has always wondered if a campus move to the athletic complex is inevitable. I'd be all for it. Tell Kelby & Stephanie they can have the land if they build USF a whole new campus. We're tiny, won't take much :wink:
                        4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                        2016 NSIC Champions
                        🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                          No way AU drops football as it adds over 100 students. It's funny how Kelby Krabbenhoft is all about Basketball, remember he gave MSU basketball program 5 million dollars and got up on a microphone and admonished MSU to go D1. His son Louis played football at Augie as a 6'5" 270lbs. guard and was very good. I have heard the talk of AU buying the USF campus and starting a Med school, My feelings about that is it's a heaping bunch of baloney. Just guessing but, I think AU and MSU will be D1 in the next 10 years.
                          If Augie, or any institution, has the resources to BUY another school, it shouldn't be playing in the NSIC. Not sure where a school with those resources fits, but it's not in a conference full of mid-sized public universities and some small private schools.

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post
                            If Augie, or any institution, has the resources to BUY another school, it shouldn't be playing in the NSIC. Not sure where a school with those resources fits, but it's not in a conference full of mid-sized public universities and some small private schools.
                            Would most likely be Sanford's money, and they would probab li y help start up the previously mentioned med school. All three parties would win from that. (My opinion)

Comment

If Sanford wants the Vikings to go D1 and they have the money to buy out a school, he should just pay for all the scholie requirements, and conference facility requirements, D1 entails.

Comment

University of Sioux Falls has been a higher education facility since 1883 and have educated untold numbers of young people making this a better country for it. NOBODY going to buy their campus period. Long after we are dead they still will be a higher education university. Rumors suck.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X